Missing lowend in Cygnus on real cab

I have found a soloution for me.

I went back to 15.1
1. take a Looper in the preset and record a little riff so i can clearly her the frequencys i`m missing.
2. Take a Parametric EQ and dail with it the depth frequency down to figure out what`s the exact what i need.
3. alternatly daild depth to 0 and the PEq up to dail exactly in the depeth im missing.
4 Saved the PEQ ind Libruary blocks
5. went to Beta 11 and take the PEQ from the Library and i was happy :)

I hope nobody was angry about my stupid tread...but i had this idea after thinking about the hole proces :)

Thank you evrybody

Last edited:
I have found a soloution for me.

I went back to 15.1
1. take a Looper in the preset and record a little riff so i can clearly her the frequencys i`m missing.
2. Take a Parametric EQ and dail with it the depth frequency down to figure out what`s the exact what i need.
3. alternatly daild depth to 0 and the PEq up to dail exactly in the depeth im missing.
4 Saved the PEQ ind Libruary blocks
5. went to Beta 11 and take the PEQ from the Library and i was happy :)

I hope nobody was angry about my stupid tread...but i hab this idea after thinking about the hole proces :)

Thank you evrybody
Sehr gut :)

Just a thought: since you used dynamic depth, shouldn't the depth control of the amp produce roughly the same tone (except for the dynamic behaviour)?

Yesterday i only checked by headphone because everybody in the house sleeps...
Tody i checked again with poeramp and cab...
Thats not the same ...evry amp reacts and sounds differend and i can not use the PEQ with same settings...

I think i went back to 15.1 until the oomph comes back...
in the next few days i`ll make a comparrison with a real amp and will check if it sounds equal as cygnus in the bass....

Yesterday i only checked by headphone because everybody in the house sleeps...
Tody i checked again with poeramp and cab...
Thats not the same ...evry amp reacts and sounds differend and i can not use the PEQ with same settings...

I think i went back to 15.1 until the oomph comes back...
in the next few days i`ll make a comparrison with a real amp and will check if it sounds equal as cygnus in the bass....
This is one of those situations where I wish I could sit in the room with you and hear what you’re hearing. I’m having no problem with oomph. I’ve got Cygnus running into my Matrix power amp and a Mojotone 4x12, and I have no shortage of oomph. I’m even getting oomph from me Mesa 1x12s.

This is one of those situations where I wish I could sit in the room with you and hear what you’re hearing. I’m having no problem with oomph. I’ve got Cygnus running into my Matrix power amp and a Mojotone 4x12, and I have no shortage of oomph. I’m even getting oomph from me Mesa 1x12s.
I wish someone can hear what i hear that i´m not the stupid guy how tells somthing that nobody can agree with...:)

I just tried your preset. I don't know what kind of music you're playing that you need that much low end. The preset has a massive amount of low end, on the verge of ridiculous.

Perhaps there's a problem with your speaker or power amp.

I´ll try another Cab in the next day´s.
Poweramp i can switch between Mesa and Matrix and have the same result.
I´ll check speakecable and all wiring at night to eleminate als kinds of issues that can be :)

I wish someone can hear what i hear that i´m not the stupid guy how tells somthing that nobody can agree with...:)
I don’t mean to imply you’re stupid. Different people have different wants/needs—that’s what makes it so hard to troubleshoot stuff like this. Your “too thin” might be my “way too much oomph.” Being in the same place helps cut through that. That’s all I meant to say.

I don’t mean to imply you’re stupid. Different people have different wants/needs—that’s what makes it so hard to troubleshoot stuff like this. Your “too thin” might be my “way too much oomph.” Being in the same place helps cut through that. That’s all I meant to say.
That´s exactly what i understood in your post...:)

One thing that seems odd looking at a screenshot of that preset is that you're running a Cab block while also running a poweramp and then into a guitar cabinet. If you were running to FRFR this type of setup would make sense, but not to an Engl 4x12 (unless you loaded FRFR speakers in it). This means you're going to be filtering your signal through a cab IR before hitting a real cabinet, which will further filter your signal based on the type of speakers, response with your power amp, etc. That will definitely do weird things regardless of the firmware version you're running. And it will mess up your dynamics and kill "punch".

I run simple patches of guitar -> amp block -> Fryette PS2 -> Friedman 4x12 and it can get very bassy and kicking you in the chest punchy, especially using the Uberschall and Herbert models. But I never use the cab block in this type of setup because the Fryette PS2 and Friedman are covering that function.

That hasn't been my experience.
Same. Running through a tube power amp into a guitar cab, Cygnus is the firmware that gets me closest to "yeah, that's a tube amp". There's a lot more punch and openness in this firmware at high gain settings. The high end is more realistic on amps with "sizzle".

One thing that seems odd looking at a screenshot of that preset is that you're running a Cab block while also running a poweramp and then into a guitar cabinet. If you were running to FRFR this type of setup would make sense, but not to an Engl 4x12 (unless you loaded FRFR speakers in it). This means you're going to be filtering your signal through a cab IR before hitting a real cabinet, which will further filter your signal based on the type of speakers, response with your power amp, etc. That will definitely do weird things regardless of the firmware version you're running. And it will mess up your dynamics and kill "punch".

I run simple patches of guitar -> amp block -> Fryette PS2 -> Friedman 4x12 and it can get very bassy and kicking you in the chest punchy, especially using the Uberschall and Herbert models. But I never use the cab block in this type of setup because the Fryette PS2 and Friedman are covering that function.
The Cab Modeling is disabelt in Global Settings when i use Poweramp and real cab.
When i play with headphones i only enable cab sim in global parameters :)

Tools to add some lows that react dynamic?
  • Use the controls for the cab resonance in the amp block, which means other freq, lower q, more gain.
  • Use peaking2 or shelving2 in a PEQ block.
  • Use the multiband comp and compress only the lows but also rise the volume of that band.
  • Divide the signal into lows and highs via an x-over and add a comp block to the lows chain, use the dynamics mode.
  • Assign a modifier to a low band in an eq block and use the envelope follower as source.

For sure there are some more ways. A comp with a side-chain, a filter block, decreasing mids and highs instead of boosting lows, a neutral cab using proximity or like that.

And each output 1-4 allows for changing it's output eq into a peq. Say out 1 is for headphones, so it gets no eq setting, out 2 is for the Engl cab, so this output gets a special bass boost.

Did you get a phase reversal on one channel? That would suck out all of the bass.

I say this because I once searched for days as to why my AFII was sounding like crap - until I found the phase switch on the mixer channel. Oops.

Back
Top Bottom