Missing "aggression" in high gain presets?

NizarOdeh85

Inspired
Hello Folks,

I play my PRS guitar (Seymour Duncan medium output pickups) using the FM3 with tube amp head and guitar cabinet speaker.

For any high gain preset factory/custom, I find the tones 'uninspiring'.

Here is a list of what I find weird:
  • The high gain amps are too quite till you crank the Drive, Master Volume, or Input trim...sometimes, two of those together.
  • No matter how much gain you put, the "thump" is very weak.
  • The tones sound very 'harsh' and 'flat', no matter how you cut the highs and lows.

I would like to ask, generally, if anyone encountered such issues with his/her unit. If yes, what resolution you found?

I apologize for not being able to attach a sound recording here.

The high gain amps are too quite till you crank the Drive, Master Volume, or Input trim...sometimes, two of those together.
There's a level control for that. Don't turn up the master volume too high.
No matter how much gain you put, the "thump" is very weak.
Try adjusting the speaker resonance frequency in the amp block.
The tones sound very 'harsh' and 'flat', no matter how you cut the highs and lows.
Have you turned the power amp modelling off?

Put a compressor before the amp, select the Dynamics one. Turn up dynamics and threshold a bit. A bit more punch

As stated in the manual... Turn off the Cab modeling if you are running into a standard guitar cab, And turn off Power amp modeling if you are using a tube power amp.

I would check your gain staging making sure your physical amp is seeing the proper level.
It also sounds like your amp in the room is too quiet.

Power and Volume.

It makes all the difference I’ve found, I play at low apartment volumes and I’m like “Meh , my Jubilee sounds WAY better than this...”. Turn Output 2 to noon? It sounds amazingly good.

Power and Volume.

What you are experiencing are classic symptoms of playing at low volume. A one-watt amp is very limited in the volume it can produce. You're going into that amp though its guitar input. There is a good chance that you are severely overdriving the amp.

Find a good baseline. Reduce gain and levels until it sounds good. Forget about volume for now. Beyond a certain point, more gain will not give you more thump.

Power and Volume.

It makes all the difference I’ve found, I play at low apartment volumes and I’m like “Meh , my Jubilee sounds WAY better than this...”. Turn Output 2 to noon? It sounds amazingly good.

Power and Volume.
Output 2 is around noon already :) What do you exactly mean by 'Power'? Are you running your FM3 to the FX return of your Marshall Jubilee?

What you are experiencing are classic symptoms of playing at low volume. A one-watt amp is very limited in the volume it can produce. You're going into that amp though its guitar input. There is a good chance that you are severely overdriving the amp.

Find a good baseline. Reduce gain and levels until it sounds good. Forget about volume for now. Beyond a certain point, more gain will not give you more thump.
I am going into that amp via the FX return :)

Hello Folks,

I play my PRS guitar (Seymour Duncan medium output pickups) using the FM3 with tube amp head and guitar cabinet speaker.

• The high gain amps are too quite till you crank the Drive, Master Volume, or Input trim...sometimes, two of those together.
  • The tones sound very 'harsh' and 'flat', no matter how you cut the highs and lows.

I would like to ask, generally, if anyone encountered such issues with his/her unit. If yes, what resolution you found?

“Quiet” means the LEVEL control needs to be increased in the amp block, not Drive, Master Volume or Trim.

What real-world amps are you used to playing through? Have to ask for context, as it's not a given that folks asking are referencing actual hardware equivalents.

Hello Folks,

I feel the same as you. Still struggling to get a good high gain sound.

Back
Top Bottom