Miss the "Vintage" preamp tube ?

it's a bit lame that everytime when I look into a thread were a user wishes for something, few others try to make fun of him or/and his arguments. Some of these inputs made the AF2 a better tool, your comedian clips and funny stuff wont make the world a better place inside such threads. Maybe you have some valuable things to say, based on your experiences, then say it, share it, be a real part of the community.

Cheers
Paco

Hopefully you aren't referring to my statement. I've had more than a few people directly tell me they liked the Vintage tube type because it made their guitar sound older and less saturated, like an old amp.

Yet we all know that it was the most saturated version of the tubes.

If they liked the vintage option, that's totally cool. And I'm definitely not "teasing." But many people described the exact opposite of what it actually did solely based on the word "vintage."

It's a common issue with features on digital units. People let the term and words make their opinions rather than their ears.

Just about the "vintage" terminology argument, it is precisely because the "vintage" tubes are the most saturated ones that those provided me more sustain regarding my lead tones. I am well-aware that those tubes were not supposed to produce a vintage-like tone... But I also understand it could be confusing to some people.

Everything with the word "vintage" on it HAVE to be better... A tasty vintage sandwitch, I'm droolin'
Since I renamed my MkI to Axe-Vintage-FX II it sounds better than ever. ;)
Even my rusty vintage strings are awesome!

Hopefully you aren't referring to my statement. I've had more than a few people directly tell me they liked the Vintage tube type because it made their guitar sound older and less saturated, like an old amp.

Yet we all know that it was the most saturated version of the tubes.

If they liked the vintage option, that's totally cool. And I'm definitely not "teasing." But many people described the exact opposite of what it actually did solely based on the word "vintage."

It's a common issue with features on digital units. People let the term and words make their opinions rather than their ears.

No I don't referring on your statement only, otherwise I would name it directly. ;) Vintage is some kind of a "two meaning word" - in a positive and a negative way. ... I understand your point, but since we just can assume the experience and knowledge of others here, we're unable to tell if someone is experienced or trained ear wise to hear and/or feel a difference.

Saturation is depending on the operation voltages, the bias point and a few other parameters in the circuitry of a tube stage. The difference between various tubes are their characteristic curves, amplification factor, mutual conductance etc. - which made it more or less saturated in various circuit designs. So there are differences hear- or feel-able. As told before, I often use long plates preamp tubes in PCB based circuits with AC-heating as they conduct less hum than short plates. JJ-Tesla still produces a fantastic long plate (JJ-ECC-803) which I use for "Rose Morris"-type Vox AC30 (mid to late 80s) or the tube based Hughes&Kettner Cream Machine, Crunch or Metal Master products.

I most amps, including some very old amps, I using short plates preamp tubes, various brands. Some of the very best tubes around are short plates, we call it in german "Spanngitter-Röhren" (does anybody know the correct spelling in english?), higher mutal conductance, a bit more gain.... ;) and if made with a third mica layer inside, very low microphonic.......perfect for guitar amp applications.

@ OP: Regarding tube "vintage" feel: Try to experiment with parameter triode hardness - I didn't update to latest firmware yet, so I can't tell if you're happy.

Cheers
Paco

Everything with the word "vintage" on it HAVE to be better... A tasty vintage sandwitch, I'm droolin'
Since I renamed my MkI to Axe-Vintage-FX II it sounds better than ever. ;)
Even my rusty vintage strings are awesome!

This is what I calling "not helpful" because it contains no valuable information, it's just made of making fun of other meanings. We should get back on the originally meaning of a message board. Try to help others if you can.....

Thanks

This is what I calling "not helpful" because it contains no valuable information, it's just made of making fun of other meanings. We should get back on the originally meaning of a message board. Try to help others if you can.....

Thanks

"Au contraire, mon ami"... In this case he's explaining an opinion using irony. I understand he's saying "naming something VINTAGE it doesn't make things better".

Don't misunderstand this opinions, specially in a thread with a title asking for opinion... ;)

Back to the Topic: NO, i don't miss the "Vintage" Preamp Tube.

Best Regards.

Thanks

Ha! I was sure you were to quote me.

Someone is in a bad mood today.

To be on topic, no I don't miss the vintage tube preamp, I hope that makes you happy.

Oh, and yes I try to help other people, that's why I don't have 1k posts about "yay", "cool" and "+1". Not referring to you specifically.
Obviously it's a "too" serious thread so I'm moving on.

Your first comment on that thread was not helpful nor "in topic", just a complain about other people... So please sir, for the good to the whole community, try to be on topic :) :)

Have a nice and "vintage" day.

I feel sorry for everyone feeling this is a too "serious" thread, it really wasn't meant to be... (also meaning that I decline any responsibility for having made this thread "too serious" :D )

I finally heard the difference between the long and short plate. As Cliff (I believe) mentioned, it's very subtle. If you set up an amp. so it's on the verge of break-up, then push it a bit with an OD and switch back and forth between long and short, you'll hear the subtle difference. The short plate, to me at least, sounds like it has a bit more drive than the long plate.

I just wouldn't call it "vintage" any longer to avoid the next wave of complainers that it actually doesn't sound like a set of 40 year old vintage tubes...

I'd put it back, but have the EXACT same settings as long plate, just to see how many people will comment about how much "better" it sounds.

Power of suggestion is a strong thing. Take something away and we recall it more fondly than it really was. Happens to me all the time with pedals, girlfriends etc lol

I'd put it back, but have the EXACT same settings as long plate, just to see how many people will comment about how much "better" it sounds.

Read the post (mine) above.....there is no "better" there is "difference" in feel. Player who feel different plays different so goes the sound. I agree with most people, a blind test would bring absolutely nothing when it's a feel thing! Remember the "Preamp Sag" parameter....... ;) I can tell if it's off or on on certain amps & settings - but it remains a feel thingy....you can't tell a difference by just listen to sound clips (mostly by players who just amplify their playing and ain't being able to catch all the dynamic varieties of some amps)

....and please, no stupid talking about my experience (sandwiches or girlfriends) - I'm repairing and modifying tube amps for customer desires since >17yrs for a living. If I'm a stupid cunt - over 2000 amps would made golden again just by pure luck. :p This is most unlikely....... ;)

That was exactly my point (post #19). The difference would be barely audible, maybe even not audible at all, depending on the whole chain. THE noticeable difference is mainly in the FEEL (but also slightly in the sustain), not the tone.

Back
Top Bottom