Misinterpreted song lyrics!

When I was a kid I was trying to figure out the lyrics to Credence Clearwater Revival's 'Lodi'. I was stumped on one line so I asked my mom to help.

What they sang: Oh lord, I'm stuck in ol' Lodi again
What my mom heard: Oh lord, I'm sucking old diet pills again

I will never be able to unhear that line. 🤣

The Joker - Steve Miller

”some people call me Maurice, cuz I speak for the Pompatus of Love”

Wait…. This is what he said? I went for years in the early 70s thinking I’d eventually find a proper translation to sort that one. I eventually found out it’s a made up word, misspelled, from an old R&B song. The 70s could be like that.

I hear it's tight most every night, but now I might be mistaken

This and about a million more I found when looking up lyrics on the net. Before that everybody had their own version of lyrics for most songs and we'd always argue about them.

Manfred Mann's Earth Band's version of 'Blinded by the Light':

They sing: "Rev'd up like a deuce, another runner in the night"
I heard: "Rev'd up like a douche another runner in the night"

I remember never being able to resolve this lyric. I would try to listen carefully to the song, convinced I was wrong, but could never reach a different conclusion, then years later (thanks to the internet) I discovered my mistake!
I have always heard: "Rev'd up like a deuson in the roner in the night" Never could figure out what they meant...

Older people, like myself lol, might remember the song from England Dan and John Ford Coley "I'd Really Love To See You Tonight". When it was a hit, many decades ago, I'd always hear:

"I'm not talking about your linen, and I don't want to change your line".

Where the real line was "I'm not talking 'bout movin' in, and I don't wanna change your life".

I always thought it was very strange that they'd write about laundry and clotheslines heh.
Ha I heard that as well!

I remember never being able to resolve this lyric. I would try to listen carefully to the song, convinced I was wrong, but could never reach a different conclusion, then years later (thanks to the internet) I discovered my mistake!
Yup!

I heard, "Wrapped up like a douche, you know they run her in the night."

When I was a kid, I thought Alanis Morrissette was talking about someone giving her a cross-eyed bear in "You Oughta Know. I never understood why someone would gift a wild animal with a disability.
My daughter legit thought those were the words, wouldn't believe otherwise for a long time.

Steely Dan - “Are you really in my ears?”

Older people, like myself lol, might remember the song from England Dan and John Ford Coley "I'd Really Love To See You Tonight". When it was a hit, many decades ago, I'd always hear:

"I'm not talking about your linen, and I don't want to change your line".

Where the real line was "I'm not talking 'bout movin' in, and I don't wanna change your life".

I always thought it was very strange that they'd write about laundry and clotheslines heh.

Good one.

I used to wonder what Geddy Lee wanted with a bathysphere in Rush's Free Will. ("I will choose a path as clear...")

When I used to play Rock Band or Guitar Hero with my daughters, when Warrant came up they'd happily sing "Cheese pie cherry pie".

Back
Top Bottom