Misha Mansoor / ML Labs Cab Pack Q&A

Misha, thanks for that video, that was great!
I was just wondering why you chose the ML Sound lab IRs?
What tonal qualities do like about these IRs?
I use them too because they sound very 3d-ish and really mix ready.
Thanks!

I find that a lot of IRs tend to lack low end resonance, or if they have it, it sounds a bit cheap, and has no real weight to it, almost like it was a post-eq rather than the character of the cab/mic combination. The high end is even trickier, you either get very dull captures, or ones with so much unusable "air" and high frequencies with all sorts of whistling frequencies which you then have to notch out (but notching can really neuter a guitar tone...) The ML IRs just nailed both of those making very usable IRs right out of the box, and mixing them was so much easier because I wasn't dealing with weird and unpredictable characteristics. From personal experience, I can tell you the room an IR is shot in makes ALL the difference as well. For example, I have shot my zilla cab in my studio (before it was treated) and then I shot it in a professional live room, both with a 57 in the exact same position, and the one shot in my untreated room is ugly, bright and notchy by comparison. The room being used in the ML IRs is a damn good sounding one too!

Hi Misha thanks for that video !, I have some question

1- Could you please tell me what tunings you mostly use on your six string guitars ?
2- where do you look when you feel like you need some new inspiration ?
3- If you want say D-jent in 3 words, what would that be ?

1- I use mostly Drop C and AGCFAD
2- I just take a break from music and do literally anything else, or take a shower, the white noise of a shower always helps for some reason...
3- I'm not sure I understand this one haha.

I thought that it was interesting that you choose IR's based on "feel". Can you explain this a little bit? Do you ever track with one IR for feel and then reamp for a different IR's tonal qualities if you don't really like its feel?

Well, the thing is with the ML stuff I didn't really have to compromise, but in the past I would say I have definitely chosen IRs for their sound over the feel, which makes it less nice for tracking, but ultimately the sound is what matters. With that said, it's nice to have a collection that doesn't force me to make that choice, and when I was mixing it was something that was top priority for me. I wanted the IR mixes to feel responsive on clean, mid gain and full on high gain, and I wanted them to feel like they have weight if that makes sense!

He man, I just want to say I've been watching you and Periphery since, well back in the Axe Ultra days, I even recently saw you guys at HoB Houston, (you shook my hand and complemented my minecraft shirt, which was pretty cool) I just wanted to say keep up the awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, the thing is with the ML stuff I didn't really have to compromise, but in the past I would say I have definitely chosen IRs for their sound over the feel, which makes it less nice for tracking, but ultimately the sound is what matters. With that said, it's nice to have a collection that doesn't force me to make that choice, and when I was mixing it was something that was top priority for me. I wanted the IR mixes to feel responsive on clean, mid gain and full on high gain, and I wanted them to feel like they have weight if that makes sense!

Thanks for the reply! Makes perfect sense.

Question: The first IR from the pack I tried was the Misha Mix 1. Its definitely an IR that cuts through a mix! Did you use specific amp sims with this IR? I found that particular IR to be great for bass-ier sounding amps like the Rectos. Just curious if you could tell us a bit about what amp sims or regular amps you were using when making the mix IRs. Thanks!

I have a bunch of amps, though I mainly use those for reamping. Everything comes out of my monitors, and between the fact that I know them well and my room being treated, I know I can trust what I am hearing. Even if I was using real amps, they would be in a live room and I would still be pretty much hearing them only through my monitors, so it all works out about the same when tracking. When it comes to jamming, that's when an amp in the room can make a difference, but for the sake of recording and playing live, the direct sound is what I need!

Thank you for the response Misha, That totally makes sense to me. This is where I have trouble, trusting the room,
I only have Sennheiser Hd 280's, to monitor with and they are good, but monitoring with headphones only, sucks! I
must hear the tone accurate and through proper monitors, but my access to such a place is limited. I know I must a get a decent
pair of monitors now. These Ir's, do seem to make the process a lot less tedious. Thanks again!!

ps43203 you really ought to look into spectral analyzers, and reference mixes in general.
They're an enormous help for those in less-than-ideal recording environments.
The more you use the analyzers, the more you'll be able to "trust" them to get you in the ballpark of what sound you're going for.

I use this method all the time, because even though I have decent monitors my room has some bizarre bass nodes that make me hear the low end completely different from how it really is.
If I mix things to sound good in my room, they won't translate well to other sound systems.
But if I mix things to "look about right" on the analyzers, or to sound relatively similar to a couple reference songs, they tend to sound more consistent on other sound systems.

Just something to try out. :)

Thanks Romance, I'll give that a try. I have only just started to understand those actually. Have had to be
engineer, musician, producer, writer, all by myself. It has been a long journey, but really starting to wrap my
head around the sound spectrum. You can NEVER learn too much, I don't even have an axe YET, but have learned
a TON on here. :)

I'm extremely happy with the conversation and nice words being said in here. I want to thank everyone because without you there wouldn't be ML Sound Lab but a very special thank you goes out to Misha for being a genuinely nice and awesome guy to work with. A compliment coming from you feels like getting a million compliments simultaneously. :) I am forever thankful and I'm genuinely interested in working with you in future... there is a Cab Pack coming out from me that's the same cab they used for that "GEN 1 Metal IR" that was used for the first Periphery album........... it has that certain mid scoop and mid bump at 1.5khz. ;)

I must admit that being able to stand out as one of the top IR producers is a lot of work but nothing makes me more happy than hearing music made using my IRs. When ever I hear one of these awesome clips I feel like my bucket list is full. Thank you all for being a part of it! :)

Damn Mikko, let's just go ahead and set up a straight line for me to funnel money to you. Seriously, it's like every other week you roll out something that I *need* to buy :D. Please help convince Misha to work with you in capturing IRs of his Zilla! For science!

Damn Mikko, let's just go ahead and set up a straight line for me to funnel money to you. Seriously, it's like every other week you roll out something that I *need* to buy :D. Please help convince Misha to work with you in capturing IRs of his Zilla! For science!

Well.... I am traveling through the US next fall. :lol

I am new to Fractal and have a plethora of Amps and drive pedals. Which ones do you recommend to go with the mix cabs you've created? Thanks
Kind of a thread resurrection but no problem. :) I think I speak for both Misha and myself when I say that we don't create IR's that only work for one thing but rather we aim for maximum versatility. For example the Zilla pack that we made has been praised by guitar players that play jazz and classic rock all the way up to the more common djent players. What I would recommend varies from genre to genre. For that djenty sound I highly recommend Friedman and 5150 style amps. Anything with a lot of mids is a good place to start. :)

Back
Top Bottom