Misha Mansoor / ML Labs Cab Pack Q&A

Admin M@

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
Hi all,

Misha Mansoor is going to stop by this thread to answer your questions about the new Cab Pack he created with ML Sound Lab.

Cab Pack 13 is available now in our online store:
http://shop.fractalaudio.com/Cab_Pack_13_ML_USA_Bulb_4x12_p/fas-801-0013.htm

Here is a demo video Misha posted to showcase the sounds he's getting with these IRs:

Post your questions for Misha Mansoor here... About the Axe-Fx II, Cab-Pack 13, Cab-Lab 3, Periphery, or life in general!

Bought the cab pack and there are Juggernauts in my Ibanez S 7 string.
So of course I'm in Djent metal paradise.

To Misha:
But what I want to see, as a fan of the tones and as a fan of the Djent metal movement is:
Will there be some original material involving these IR's?
I can't think of a better way to market the product.

Then there's the selfish side of me that just wants to hear more of Misha's riff-writing genius.
"Zero" off of the "Clear" EP is, for me, the pinnacle of Periphery's songwriting achievement.
If we can get something musically relevant like that, utilizing these IR's, would satisfy me immensely.
Sorry to get all fangirly there.

Misha, when you mixed those IRs, what was your goal and approach? E.g. what music styles did you want this pack to be for? What's your opinion on Clark Kent's way of making IRs? Do you still see room for improvement? Will you guys make a cab pack where you Misha not only do the mixes, but also are included in the process of the IR shooting?

Misha, thanks for that video, that was great!
I was just wondering why you chose the ML Sound lab IRs?
What tonal qualities do like about these IRs?
I use them too because they sound very 3d-ish and really mix ready.
Thanks!

Hey Misha!
Whats your favorite OD for a Dual Rec! I just got one and am looking to tighten up the low end a bit but not so much that its gone. I sort of enjoy that characteristic of a dual rec.
Love your work.

Emanuel

Hi Misha, Awesome cab mixes!
I was wondering, do you remember what cab+mic you mixed together?
I'm very interested in what mic combination did you use for the cab called ML Misha Mix 01 USA bulb?
And are there any special mic combination you prefer?
Thanks!

-Spazi

I thought that it was interesting that you choose IR's based on "feel". Can you explain this a little bit? Do you ever track with one IR for feel and then reamp for a different IR's tonal qualities if you don't really like its feel?

To Misha:
But what I want to see, as a fan of the tones and as a fan of the Djent metal movement is:

This Sepiks Prime Theme cover that Misha just posted is using the Misha Mix 8 from Cab Pack 13:

:) I dunno about you guys but sounds pretty damn perfect to me!!

Misha+Bungie+cab pack 13 = praise the f*cking gods.
Didn't know this was a thing, glad you're in the loop more than I am Mr. Kent!

Now off to find this "new Haunted Shores" material...

Hi Misha thanks for that video !, I have some question

1- Could you please tell me what tunings you mostly use on your six string guitars ?
2- where do you look when you feel like you need some new inspiration ?
3- If you want say D-jent in 3 words, what would that be ?

Thanks for all the questions guys and keep them coming! I'll talk with Misha about answering these questions once we have more questions regarding this Cab Pack. :)

I have one for Misha. Are you using real amps/cabs ,in addition to the axe/ir route? Also, I can't record unless I like
the feel of the, "Amp in the Room", as in, gig volume. Do you test tone this way? Or are you trusting monitors, in the
control room? Thanks in advance, for chiming in on this thread. :)

Bought the cab pack and there are Juggernauts in my Ibanez S 7 string.
So of course I'm in Djent metal paradise.

To Misha:

Then there's the selfish side of me that just wants to hear more of Misha's riff-writing genius.
"Zero" off of the "Clear" EP is, for me, the pinnacle of Periphery's songwriting achievement.
If we can get something musically relevant like that, utilizing these IR's, would satisfy me immensely.
Sorry to get all fangirly there.

Yeah I have been using these for all my demos (which unfortunately you can't hear right now) but I did use cab pack 8 for the Sepiks Prime cover, and the upcoming Haunted Shores material will feature these cabs heavily!

Misha, when you mixed those IRs, what was your goal and approach? E.g. what music styles did you want this pack to be for? What's your opinion on Clark Kent's way of making IRs? Do you still see room for improvement? Will you guys make a cab pack where you Misha not only do the mixes, but also are included in the process of the IR shooting?

The IR captures were so well done, and so much what I would sort of expect from that cab and specific mic that I could sort of mix them the way I would like to in real life. It really just came down to the subtleties of each capture/speaker, and what frequencies would best complement each other. The other thing was that I have noticed that some IR captures might sound good, but don't feel very satisfying to play on, and I spent a lot of time tweaking the mixes to ensure that they would feel great just for jamming, the way in the room sound is satisfying!

I have one for Misha. Are you using real amps/cabs ,in addition to the axe/ir route? Also, I can't record unless I like
the feel of the, "Amp in the Room", as in, gig volume. Do you test tone this way? Or are you trusting monitors, in the
control room? Thanks in advance, for chiming in on this thread. :)

I have a bunch of amps, though I mainly use those for reamping. Everything comes out of my monitors, and between the fact that I know them well and my room being treated, I know I can trust what I am hearing. Even if I was using real amps, they would be in a live room and I would still be pretty much hearing them only through my monitors, so it all works out about the same when tracking. When it comes to jamming, that's when an amp in the room can make a difference, but for the sake of recording and playing live, the direct sound is what I need!

Back
Top Bottom