MinPhase & AutoTrim - When or When Not to Check??

Discussion in 'Cab-Lab Products' started by rcd, May 3, 2017.

1. rcd

rcd
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

I want to mix Ownhammer IR's both inside the Axe via the 2 cab blocks & another method with Cab-Lab if I can get it to work inside ProTools 12HD Native. I'm confused about the conversion process in Cab-Lab with the MinPhase& AutoTrim options. If I'm mixing 2 Ownhammer IR's should one IR be MinPhase & the Other NoMinPhase? Both Min Phase? Neither Min Phase? Same question with Auto Trim, Should I check this option everytime or only in certain circumstances, or never?
    Can't seem to find detailed info and application instructions on these 2 options when it comes to using ownhammer IR's(My preference) either in the Axe via the cab blocks or in Cab-Lab while mixing multiple IR's.
    Thanks for any info in helping me achieve the optimum tone concerning the MinPahse & AutoTrim features.

2. simeon

simeon
    Expand Collapse
    Axe-Master

i have the same question

i purchased some celestion ir's the other day and had to convert from wav

i left both options unchecked initially and the resulting ir's were out of phase with the factory cabs

i then checked "min" phase" and ran it again. now they are in phase, but also very bright

i can't find out what "auto trim" does

any help?

3. yek

yek
    Expand Collapse

Auto Trim: makes certain that the IR "starts" at a fixed position, by removing superfluous silence from the start of the IR. These days this isn't really necessary to apply on modern IRs. But it might come in handy when shooting your own IRs.

Min Phase: verifies that the "phase" of the IR causes no issues. This is important when you mix multiple IRs and don't want to align them manually in Cab-Lab or the DAW. All stock cabs are min.phase to make them mix-compatible. It does change the tone (very little) and some players prefer "raw" IRs. When a "raw" IR is available I use that, I don't mix IRs anymore these days.

De-Phase: mitigates phasing issues in real time.

cnaufel, 6L6C and Morphosis like this.
  4. simeon

simeon
    Expand Collapse
    Axe-Master

thanks man!

5. 6L6C

6L6C
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

I just purchased some Celestion IR's and was curios about the converting options in Cab Lab 3 also.
    Wow! Right on the first page containing all the info I was looking for. Didn't even have to run a search.
    Doesn't get any better than that!

John