Mini-Review & My Only Complaint

Genghis

Power User
It arrived last night and for those of you still waiting, it is well worth the wait. It is amazing! Everything I expected and a bit more. Looks great in person, probably better than the pics show you, but I know we don't buy this thing to look at.

I'll start with my only complaint... I think all of the cab packs I have accumulated through the years are pretty much obsolete. Not only are there a wide variety of stock cabs to choose from, it seems that they chose a lot of the best from a lot of different sources. With the ability to mix up to four different cabs in the block, adjust distance and proximity, and the level of each compared to the other, I don't think there is any need to even browse through user cabs any more, unless you're one of those guys with a very specific cab of your own, and the resources to take an impulse of your cab.

I'm really not a preset kind of guy, but I go for a particular layout for some of the standard variations and I started out on preset 000 and played just long enough to know that I hooked everything up and then started replacing the amps and rearranging the grid to my liking. I do some presets for specific odd stuff, but for the main performance presets I like 4 scenes per preset at the minimum and sometimes a 5th for something different:
  1. Heavy Rhythm
  2. Hi-Gain Lead
  3. Clean
  4. Lo-Gain Lead
I started in with Channel A in Scene 1 with the 5150 III and set up some basic TMB settings, then went over to the cab block, and pulled up a couple of variations of the 5150 III cab, and mixed them to taste. Dialed in the settings there a bit, then went back to the amp for fine tuning. Put another 5150 III in Channel B for Scene 2 and turned up the Master a bit, as I like the way the mids compress when you crank the master. Also use a bit different settings on the tone stack and all around, but it didn't take long to get a sound I really like.

Once I got those two core tones down, time to go to the effects. We all have preferences, but I tend to like delay and reverb in parallel so I rearranged that part of the grid for parallel and changed both of the blocks to my liking... for now. I may do a bit more later on those but it's a great starting point. Very light and short reverb on rhythm, and kick on delay as well for leads.

On to the clean... Fender Twin for this one. What else? For now, I didn't even change channels on the cab block, but it sounds killer. Later, I'll probably switch that to channel B and try a few cabs that are more designed for that sound, but I'm happy so far.

That new chorus type is great on the cleans. I dialed that in and adjusted it to my liking. Also switched over to a different reverb, as I like my cleans to drip a little more than my dirt sounds.

So,, for Channel 4, I picked the Badger 30 and dialed in a nice light crunch tone that breaks up nicely. I have a drive I can kick in if I want a little more, but this thing is nice.

I still have to dig out a MIDI cable and hook up the MFC, but so far so good. No noticeable gap when you reach over and change Scenes.

And the UI... well thought out short cuts, but still familiar to any of us who have been using Fractal for awhile. I have to admit I haven't even looked at the manual, but I imagine I could save a little time by perusing it for tips. Pretty easy to figure out if you've done it on a II or even a first-gen unit. Just much more user friendly with the extra knobs and push buttons below the screen.

All in all, this thing is great. Just need to start listing some of the old gear now, but I think many of us are thinking the same thing on that.

I was hoping this would be the case. The IR rabbit hole is a time suck.
Looking at the list of cabs in the III I was guessing there may be no need to load 3rd party IRs anymore.

The cab choices really is bordering on information overload. My only beefs so far would be the buttons are confusing at times. Sometimes I just want to go to the grid and have no idea how to get there, or I have to go home then hit another button to get to the grid. The main preset page seems like a waste of space. I get the room for scene names, still with names there is a lot of space. Would be cool if there was an alternate home page. Maybe it will get easier as I go. Only on second day so far.

Sometimes I just want to go to the grid and have no idea how to get there, or I have to go home then hit another button to get to the grid.
Home, Layout (button c) or Home, Enter will get you there every time. Easy to remember. 2 buttons in less than a second.

The cab choices really is bordering on information overload. My only beefs so far would be the buttons are confusing at times. Sometimes I just want to go to the grid and have no idea how to get there, or I have to go home then hit another button to get to the grid. The main preset page seems like a waste of space. I get the room for scene names, still with names there is a lot of space. Would be cool if there was an alternate home page. Maybe it will get easier as I go. Only on second day so far.

Press the Value knob to go to the grid from anywhere.

Your setup and layout is very similar to what I will be doing including the 5153 amp. My III will be here sometime this week.

Your setup and layout is very similar to what I will be doing including the 5153 amp. My III will be here sometime this week.
I've built a few more presets based on a similar layout using an HBE, VH4, 2C++, Recto, and Uber. Then I decided to try layering a couple amps to see how it sounds. My favorite so far combines some of that hopped up Marshall vibe you get from the new Friedman BE model with the more modern sound of the Herbie for my rhythm and lead channels. I just set the tone controls a bit differently for leads and turn the master up just enough to get the effect I want on the mids.

Back
Top Bottom