Mini LCD wish - bigger text or bold

Just received my AXE III and FC-12. Count me in for improved readability of the FC-12 scribble strips. Larger font size?

I understand the request. It's one thing if you have perfect vision, or vision that's correctible with a single- focus lens. But once you get into bifocal territory, all bets are off. At best, you'll have graduated lenses, where the 6-foot focus is well up on your lenses. That means you can forget about just glancing down to see the floorboard. You have to drop your head until you're facing almost straight down, and you'll have only a very narrow angle in which you can maintain focus. It requires extreme but precise head movements, and you have to do it quickly to stay in the song. It's not easy, and it can be headache-inducing. An option for larger text could be helpful.
I tried those. Hated 'em. 2 pair of bifocal glasses now: distance + mid for out and about, and mid + close for around the house. Without them, stuff more than 3 feet away takes on a rather Monét-esque appearance.

Maybe I should change my avatar?
12-1.jpg

I used Axedit to change all my preset and scene names to all CAPS . Might be slightly helpful but far from a solution.
This helped me a bit. I am thinking about some sort of magnifier, though, if I can't find an eye doc who can create me a script that lets me read my toes. :D

would be cool to have the option now that many have them in their hands AdminM mentioned you would loose a few Characters but if your presets are like Plexi Hot800, etc shouldn't be too bad , her hoping options to increase or maybe even 2 or 3 different fonts available

When I developed my own controller, I used smaller OLED screens. The contrast on those made the text easy to read. I private messaged Cliff a long time ago to ask “why” these screens weren’t OLED. He said it was designed to work in bright daylight... I’m not too sure why that is the preferred use case... I tend to play in dark rooms with lighting, LOL but sometimes at festivals the sun comes out (But not often! ;))

I private messaged Cliff a long time ago to ask “why” these screens weren’t OLED. He said it was designed to work in bright daylight... I’m not too sure why that is the preferred use case...
It's a necessary use case. You don't want to market a controller for the world's best modeller if it's useless for an outdoor gig.

It's a necessary use case. You don't want to market a controller for the world's best modeller if it's useless for an outdoor gig.
Necessary yes... preferred.. maybe not for me. (Combination of eyesight and majority of gigs)

It really looked quite nice... shame the FC protocol isn’t publically available.. the FC functionality is awesome... the screens (for me) not so.

Attachments

• 5DB1D11C-55CE-40D1-960F-67ACFA6CECCA.jpeg
    5DB1D11C-55CE-40D1-960F-67ACFA6CECCA.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 43
i'm having problems too. i need to wear my reading glasses, so my fretboard is in focus, which means the FC is out of focus. i'm having to bend over to read the scribble strips. i reckon being able to change it to negative, with lit text on a black background would be a nice option to have. i certainly find it easier to read

Just discovered this thread. Same problems. So far, what has helped:

• Adjusting the Mini-Display Contrast and Global Brightness at the start of every session to fit current lighting conditions
  • Turning the 'Ring Intensity' parameters way down helps me discern the limited contrast of the mini displays
  • First 10 characters of preset and scene names in all caps
  • FC custom labels in all caps

I would love a Helen Keller mode that optionally traded a couple of characters on the mini displays for better readability.

I drive by the colored LED rings, changing them to suit different layouts.

i can see how that would work for control switches and i may do as others have suggested and colour-code them by effect type, but i just want to be able to select a preset when i need to without having to bend over to see the screens. i can never remember what number they all are.

Just discovered this thread. Same problems. So far, what has helped:

• Adjusting the Mini-Display Contrast and Global Brightness at the start of every session to fit current lighting conditions
  • Turning the 'Ring Intensity' parameters way down helps me discern the limited contrast of the mini displays
  • First 10 characters of preset and scene names in all caps
  • FC custom labels in all caps

I would love a Helen Keller mode that optionally traded a couple of characters on the mini displays for better readability.

All good tips...I am doing all that plus I just have the FC-6 and I put things in the same spots as much as possible from patch to patch...if I had the FC-12 it would much more difficult to remember where things are.

Still hoping for an option to reduce the amount of letters for larger, bolder letters....

i can see how that would work for control switches and i may do as others have suggested and colour-code them by effect type, but i just want to be able to select a preset when i need to without having to bend over to see the screens. i can never remember what number they all are.
Someone a while back was talking about magnifying lenses that make the text appear larger, made from plexiglas rods split in half to make a lens.

Admittedly, after having a Helix Floor I really wish the LCDs were bigger. But at the very least a bold text option might help improve visibility.

I mentioned and did the 1” magnifier bars but ultimately abandoned the idea.

They fit display height perfectly (cut to length). But, the platform height they raise interferes with the height of the switches. It felt funny to my feet, and also looked goofy. Still have trouble reading the scribbles but not for example the logo finer print on the FC12 body and thats a smaller font. Personally I think an inverse coloring ( black background, white text) option would make a huge difference for those who need it. I’d use it. Hoping for that feature one day.

Magnifier Bars are here if anyone interested.

Amazon product ASIN B0011X0PAU

I mentioned and did the 1” magnifier bars but ultimately abandoned the idea.

They fit display height perfectly (cut to length). But, the platform height they raise interferes with the height of the switches. It felt funny to my feet, and also looked goofy. Still have trouble reading the scribbles but not for example the logo finer print on the FC12 body and thats a smaller font. Personally I think an inverse coloring ( black background, white text) option would make a huge difference for those who need it. I’d use it. Hoping for that feature one day.

Magnifier Bars are here if anyone interested.

Amazon product ASIN B0011X0PAU
Would smaller bars magnify enough to help and not be in the way of a foor stomping the switch?

Since they're 1/2" high, I wonder if using Barefoot Buttons would give the clearance needed...

Other than that, inverse background seems like it'd be better for most gigs as well because it wouldn't be as bright overall.

I think you will have trouble finding the right size bar. It’s just a polycarbonate rod ripped lengthwise. So 1” diameter bar = 1/2” high when laid down. There are only so many sizes available in the market. I looked awhile and those seemed to be best fit. Anything smaller wont capture the display IMO. I could be wrong though.

EDIT: Saw Jefferski just mentioned same thing 1/2” high... barefoot buttons could make it better for sure. I don't own or use any, but it would help for issue i described.

Back
Top Bottom