Mini LCD wish - bigger text or bold

If there are enough people that have issue with the legibility of the fc mini screens, FAS will have to come up with something, or they will lose a lot in sales when customers are forced to go elsewhere. I fear it may be too late for the fc6 and 12, but maybe rectified hardware wise when the eventual MkII is released. My eyes are definitely not great and I am on the list for both, if I can't read the mini displays clearly once I get them, then they're out of here and I'll be going elsewhere for a FC.

Cheers
Anthony

With the whole availability situation, I doubt that lost sales are their number one concern now. :)

Also, whether I can read the scribble strips or not, I don’t see a good replacement for these controllers.

I feel for you older guys; I just hope whatever solution, if they implement one, is optional. It would be a bummer to lose characters for those who don’t have sight issues.

I’m just reading and looking at the photos. The camera can fool the eye, but the photos point to sharpness and contrast. I realize that the backlight can screw with the exposure, but the text sure looks soft.

I feel for you older guys; I just hope whatever solution, if they implement one, is optional. It would be a bummer to lose characters for those who don’t have sight issues.
You’re right on. There’s a demographic distribution, and the lead guitarist market is shifting up, but this should be a young person’s device. I’m getting up there, but still believe this to be true. The FC12 shouldn’t need to fit within the span of a walker, lol. Old eyes can’t see close up. This must be a function of contrast and edge definition. If it’s character size, then did somebody missed the customer metrics. Beta testers?

Don’t get me wrong. I’m not that far away from needing a ramp to lead up to my pedalboard. But for guitar to survive, we need young people.

Not owning an FC, I did a very unscientific test - I took the pic of the FC-6 on the FAS sales page and zoomed in until it was about 11" wide on my laptop screen. Then I laid it on the floor and stood over it ;-). Assuming this is even a valid way to check, I was able to read it well enough wearing glasses. I'd prefer the font were a bit larger, but at least based on this it would work for me for indoor gigs. An outdoor gig where I'm wearing sunglasses would be a bit of a problem.

I do hope that there's a way to have a larger or bolder font for those who would want it. Ideally it would be a choice so those who can read it as is are able to have more characters, and those who prefer a larger font and/or reverse text could have that option.

And I hope that if/when there's an AX8 successor that they're able to take this into account.

RJM stuff are good replacements for any controller :) and you can read them from the other side of the stage.

RJM's aren't really a replacement since they're so much more expensive. Worth every penny in my experience, but I'm going to give the FCs a chance first since they have certain advantages over the GTs. If the FC doesn't work for me, I know where my money's going :)

Austin

I sort of am bothered by this “old guy” eyes comments. Not offended. It’s just that I’m 45. Yeah not a young buck anymore I know but.... I see everything else in my life fine. AX8, Smart Phone, Computer screen, car radio and anything on the Axe-III rack screen, Fractal logo on FC6(including fine print) and much more- I could go on. No glasses neeeed for any of that. Yet the scribble are somehow blurry. They are not sharp. The white background washed out any sharpness and seems too bright. The font is not a dark sharp font. It’s bluish and not sharp. Wonder if there substituted components floating around?? Maybe I have a lemon?? Hmm. I may send it back.

For my show last night, my one layout I decided to switch the color of my rings to colors that are similar to the blocks in axe-edit. For me this helped a lot to make quick switches on the fly. The all one color for effects wasn't really working for me.

An option to have the labels all appear as CAPITAL letters would be a helpful too.
I used Axedit to change all my preset and scene names to all CAPS . Might be slightly helpful but far from a solution.

Last edited:
Just received my FC12 today. The functionality is awesome, but reading the scribble strips is definitely not enjoyable at all!
I'd feel fairly ridiculous spending twice as much for an RJM GT16, but at the same time, I'm not sure I'm willing to pay as much as I have for the FC12 with the way it is now especially with no feedback from Fractal regarding whether they feel this is even an issue that merits addressing.

Austin

Just received my FC12 today. The functionality is awesome, but reading the scribble strips is definitely not enjoyable at all!
I'd feel fairly ridiculous spending twice as much for an RJM GT16, but at the same time, I'm not sure I'm willing to pay as much as I have for the FC12 with the way it is now especially with no feedback from Fractal regarding whether they feel this is even an issue that merits addressing.

Austin

That's my concern as well...I wanted a FC12 but have changed my mind to a FC6 due to having less screens that I can't read anyway...
but, when my turn comes up for an invite I may just opt out altogether if it doesn't look like there is anything going to be done about it.

Austin

I feel your pain and concur. I sort of expected them to be much better considering all the green screen flack in the past.

With thay said, the full integration is hard to pass up. I so wish there was a good mod to make them better. The magnifier makes them too tall affecting buttons, looks funny, and possibly voids warranty as well. So i look at them and just accepted the modeling is high definition, not the scribble text. Sucks but it is what it is.

Last edited:
Was there even an answer on this one or another thread

I know it was mentioned you would lose a few characters if bigger and bolded

Also ability change background color to black or inverted.

Just received my FC 12. besides i have my old AX8. The AX8 Display is so much better to look at because of much better contrast!
It would really bring big advantages for people with not so good eyes to have bold characters and the possibility of invert the display (dark field with bright characters). This would be a big advantage. And of course as an option, because i know others like it as it is.
I like the FC 12 functionalities a lot, but i am thinking of sendig it back and get the RJM Mastermind.
Hope so much there will be a solution

Back
Top Bottom