Mini LCD wish - bigger text or bold

I ordered one of these last night to see if I can modify the FC to make it easier to read. It’s a 1” magnifier bar. 1.5x mag. Seems like a perfect fit - just have to cut to length for each strip. We’ll see if it works. They also sell a 6 pack for $30

Carson MagniRead 1.5x Bar Magnifier (MR-25) Amazon product ASIN B0011X0PAU

Last edited:
Hi all, hope you're well.

For me (and I have to stress, this is for ME, which is how most of my crazy ideas start out), I don't read any labels while I'm mid-song. I like having text there so I know what's what when I need to look down to change things around, but instant visual association to a switch, for live use where the layout of my board is going to remain fairly consistent using sensible groupings, is what I've always gone for when setting up my board for gigging.

For that reason alone, I'd always be looking to create a way to recognise buttons at-a-glance for any controller, regardless of LCDs or the flexibility of multi-layout setups. With that in mind, and even if it's something nobody else on the planet ever wants, I'm designing a KickTags option for the FC's. Still just a concept (as I don't own an FC yet), but here's a sneak peek of what it's currently looking like in my tiny brain.

LIgjRLv.jpg

Just to be clear - this is not compensation for potential readability issues of the LCD's (which I think will be fine for me, even with my dodgy 50 year-old eyes), but is so I get instant visual association in the heat of a gig. I have other ideas too, that I've discussed with a couple of artists already regarding fixed-layout labelling options, but I won't be able to even say what those are or if they'll work until I get an FC to play with.

Will keep you posted when I get my hands on these glorious looking controllers and make some prototypes.

Sukh

Wii be curious to see how
I ordered one of these last night to see if I can modify the FC to make it easier to read. It’s a 1” magnifier bar. 1.5x mag. Seems like a perfect fit - just have to cut to length for each strip. We’ll see if it works. They also sell a 6 pack for $35

Carson MagniRead 1.5x Bar Magnifier (MR-25) Amazon product ASIN B0011X0PAU
Will be looking forward to your comments on this possible solution . Was looking at similar options . Thanks

I get the whole, “you should just memorize” your switches live. I agree I do, for one band. For another I need them (one preset per song - with specific scenes for parts) - which directly relates to being able to name scenes for this reason. Catch 22. Why restrict workflow for one set of users? That’s never been the model AFAIK considering all the user defined options in the FAS system.

Last edited:
While the Kicktags would be a help, the dynamic ability of the FCs allows the user to change setups. so if one is doing so, you cant get away relying on the tags completely.

While the Kicktags would be a help, the dynamic ability of the FCs allows the user to change setups. so if one is doing so, you cant get away relying on the tags completely.

Indeed. As always, there will be some this will work for and be useful and for others not appropriate at all.

“Old guy eyes” should have been a important concern during development. IMHO.
This setup isn’t cheap. The average kid ( with perfect vision ) isn’t really a likely buyer , unless he’s a rising star , or Dad buys it for him.
It’s just nice to have scribble strips at this point , so I’ll try to be happy with that.
FAS is pretty good at responding to complaints. I’m sure if there is a way to follow thru with some of these requests, they will try to help.
As stated earlier , positioning of buttons based upon their function can help. Those of us who own an AX8 have learned to survive in live situations without scribble strips , or labels.
With that said , I do understand the issue some guys are having with seeing the writing perfectly. Certain abbreviations with fewer letters may help. Good luck all.

Add me to the list of "older" players who cannot read the small strips while standing...I'm 6'2" and have good eyesight, don't need glasses for distance (just had an eye exam in Dec.). I've tried adjusting contrast, etc., doesn't help enough. I really hope Fractal is listening here and can do something about this. We need a fix, this won't work long term for me for certain.

Add me to the list of "older" players who cannot read the small strips while standing...I'm 6'2" and have good eyesight, don't need glasses for distance (just had an eye exam in Dec.). I've tried adjusting contrast, etc., doesn't help enough. I really hope Fractal is listening here and can do something about this. We need a fix, this won't work long term for me for certain.

Me too.

I haven't received my FC invite yet but I expect I'll have the old-guy issue reading the LCDs. I had a problem reading preset names in bank mode on AX8.

Carson MagniRead 1.5x Bar Magnifier (MR-25)

So the results are in... Received the 1" magnifier bar above... First, I tested it just laying the bar across a scribble. The bar is 5" long of magnifying area, plus a handle. Immediate impression was it instantly made the FC scribble strips enjoyable to read now, to ME. Clear, crisp, large enough to read easily without straining. I then decided to see how it would function, and broke out my chop saw. I cut the bars to 1-3/4". That's a nice size that is 3/16 larger all the way around the strip window. If you cut slow, it cuts nice. Too fast and it chips. I mean really slow -let the blade do the work. Anyway.. I then just attached them to the strips with some tape just to see how they look/feel.

That gets to the down side, which I'm not sure was mentioned when these bars were thrown around in discussion... The height of the bar is almost the height of the switch. Although I can operate the switches okay, it may be a problem for others, and I'm not sure I like it either. Perhaps with barefoot button risers on, that would eliminate the issue... I dont own any, so I do not know.

The text font height on the Scribbles at stock condition is 1/4" -that's freaking small! When the magnifier is on, the text is 3/8". 1.5x as advertised. To ME, it is a immediate huge improvement in readability. The way they are stock, I personally struggle. They look washed out to me and font way too small. With the magnifier, that effect was gone as the Text stood out. Contrast seemed better too. Another side note I noticed, is I can read the fractal logo just fine on the FC, and that text is smaller than the scribble(its tiny) , but it's also white on black.

I can not figure out how to photograph the FC and have you read the labels with the bar on/off, in the picture. The scribbles wash out white light as all the photos you've seen around pre release, with or without magnifier bars applied... Funny thing is, that's sort of the effect I get in person at the stock size! -washed out and hard to read. lol So if someone wants to point me to a trick to get a better image to share the results, please do. I'm no photography guru.

All in all, I dont know I'd use these because off the height thing (which may be minor to some of you). I may use them until and if a firmware fix is ever addressed. But it did clarify for me that 1.5X magnification made all the difference, or a minimum Font height of 3/8". Pretty please FAS? I'd give up a few characters for that. :)

HTH

Last edited:
For my show last night, my one layout I decided to switch the color of my rings to colors that are similar to the blocks in axe-edit. For me this helped a lot to make quick switches on the fly. The all one color for effects wasn't really working for me.

An option to have the labels all appear as CAPITAL letters would be a helpful too.

I played outside with the FC6 yesterday to try it out in sunlight and found myself a little more disappointed. Outdoor gig, sunshine (sunshine state), and sunglasses. The FC LCD's main screen, and the strips fall apart visually with sunglasses on. The screen on the Rack unit looked fine (like it does without sunglasses on), but controller not so much... Some weird effect. I tried a few different pairs. Oh well.. Sort of a big deal for me where I live. Just sharing in case others have suggestions to counter.

I played outside with the FC6 yesterday to try it out in sunlight and found myself a little more disappointed. Outdoor gig, sunshine (sunshine state), and sunglasses. The FC LCD's main screen, and the strips fall apart visually with sunglasses on.
Don’t use polarized sunglasses. Pilots don’t use polarized glasses for the same reason: they interfere with reading the instruments. Get yourself a pair of non-polarized sunglasses, and you’ll be fine.

Don’t use polarized sunglasses. Pilots don’t use polarized glasses for the same reason: they interfere with reading the instruments. Get yourself a pair of non-polarized sunglasses, and you’ll be fine.
Thanks Rex. Well aware about Polarized glasses. Have many of each type (we live in shades here). I did try many of each I have. No big deal. I've concluded at this point it's just not for me, or it stays inside and doesn't gig - not sure yet. Trying some "dim-its" on it now to see the effect. Dont think that will help though. Makes it more readable to me in general though. I'm really trying to not be negative nancy here, just sharing my findings. I want to love it, really I do.. it's just not ticking the boxes for me on the visual side! (just my opinion) Functionality is off the charts though! Peace.

Add me to the list of those hoping the bolder, bigger font can be added as an option in the firmware. I can see the current font, but bigger and bolder would be easier to see at a glance for sure.

If there are enough people that have issue with the legibility of the fc mini screens, FAS will have to come up with something, or they will lose a lot in sales when customers are forced to go elsewhere. I fear it may be too late for the fc6 and 12, but maybe rectified hardware wise when the eventual MkII is released. My eyes are definitely not great and I am on the list for both, if I can't read the mini displays clearly once I get them, then they're out of here and I'll be going elsewhere for a FC.

Cheers
Anthony

Back
Top Bottom