Mini LCD wish - bigger text or bold

+1000000
Had the FC-6 a few days now and I'm straining to read the scribbles big time. I'm sort of disappointed, I had higher hopes. However I love the functionality, but not the scribbles! Going to give it a few more days, but instantly I realize I need bigger fonts, and/or at least the white on black to read them. I may contact support but not sure I got a real issue considering a few have same experience. Anyway, I'm posting because I believe allowing a larger font or inverse background is definitely a huge wish. Also, the ability to control brightness independently of scribbles and global rings. I can't get scribbles low enough (too bright) but then the rings dull too much. Its very hard for me to adjust a good balance to read mine well.

I may contact support but not sure I got a real issue considering a few have same experience.

Obviously, there’s an accessibility issue. But what can support do about it? They won’t replace those monochrome LCDs with high res OLEDs.

Obviously, there’s an accessibility issue. But what can support do about it? They won’t replace those monochrome LCDs with high res OLEDs.

Well, no kidding. That’s sort of obvious isn’t it?- but thanks I guess! I was inferring i would contact if I felt I had a defective unit -and I may. The adjustability of the contrast for example seems useless to me on mine. The brightness of the scribbles is extremely bright - seems too bright. It just seems off to me for the price of it. And before you get into a wad about that statement, I’m well invested into Fractal for years now. Just sharing my experience on the scribbles. Do you have one yet?

I was inferring i would contact if I felt I had a defective unit -and I may.

Okay, I see, thanks for clarifying.

Peace.

As for your last question - no, I don’t have one yet. But I’ve seen enough low res monochrome LCDs to understand the readability issue and the limitations of “contrast” settings.

1.5" wide magnifier bar material. I really like my spelling! Add to WISH list spell checker! :mad:

View attachment 52412

No one should have to buy a magnifier bar to see the mini windows when standing up. There was plenty of space for for the FC-12 to have been designed with a much bigger mini window, but I was told it would have doubled the cost and that's why they didn't go with larger mini LCD's.

There might be a way for them make it so those who are happy with the text size of the mini LCD's can leave it that way, and at the same time have an option for a bold text or larger text for those who need it. Ideally something that could be scaled up or down by the user. If this is possible I am fairly sure they will do it. If not the magnifier bar looks like a good option.

Last edited:
For $700 plus shipping no one should have to buy a magnifier bar to see the mini windows when standing up.
I don’t need one. Many others don’t.

A similar product - the MMGT - is 1299, 1599 and 1899 for 10, 16 and 22 switch versions. They have larger LCDs capable of 2 rows each. Would we have paid say 1399 for an FC-12 with similar mini displays? I’m thinking probably not.

Vision is unique to every person. The Mini-Displays are the size they are. Maybe new font sizes, designs or contrasts can be developed. But I’m sure FAS didn’t design it thinking “man no one can see these but we’ll just keep going.”

As a member of the beta team, I wouldn’t have held back bringing up something like “I really can’t see the screens.” I don’t think any other team member would have either.

I think there are just practicalities to creating gear, making it affordable, and vision that are what they are.

Let’s move forward positively in regards to this topic.

They have larger LCDs capable of 2 rows each. Would we have paid say 1399 for an FC-12 with similar mini displays? I’m thinking probably not.

I would certainly pay more for scribble strips with high res color displays. Not sure about MMGT ones, those look like the same stuff just bigger.

Or less for a version with no scribble strips at all.

I would certainly pay more for scribble strips with high res color displays. Not sure about MMGT ones, those look like the same stuff just bigger.

How much more hypothetically? Like what’s the most you’d pay for an FC-12 with the display you mentioned? Just to put some sort of number/range down.

I can see the mini windows just fine sitting down, but I do have trouble seeing them clearly when standing up. I will mainly use it recording in my studio while sitting in front of the computer screen. I will continue to use my Axe FXIIXL+ and MFC-101 live for now as that's all I really need for live work.

I am probably much older than most of the people on this forum though, and much older than most of the people who will be buying an FC-6 or FC-12. The fact this thread exists shows some people would like larger text if possible. If it's not possible, we'll live with it.

As I said before: "There might be a way for them make it so those who are happy with the text size of the mini LCD's can leave it that way, and at the same time have an option for a bold text or larger text for those who need it. Ideally something that could be scaled up or down by the user. If this is possible I am fairly sure they will do it."

Last edited:
As I said before: "There might be a way for them make it so those who are happy with the text size of the mini LCD's can leave it that way, and at the same time have an option for a bold text or larger text for those who need it. Ideally something that could be scaled up or down by the user. If this is possible I am fairly sure they will do it." That is as positive as you can make this topic and presents a possible solution.
Agreed. I meant in general, not you specifically.

I would pay a 30-50% premium for nice OLED color displays.

My experience with these monochrome displays is that they aren’t very useful to me. Even if I see the text, it’s not clear enough for a quick glance thing. I need to concentrate on it.

Agreed. I meant in general, not you specifically.

Sorry, but what’s been not positive? Reporting the fact the fact some of us can’t see them? Trying to hush that? I can see everything else I interact with in my life, at work, around my house, etc.. I work for a specialty glass maker and quality optics is our thing. If I couldn’t see I’d be out of work. While I would never expect FAS to skimp on quality of their products, I feel let down on the strips. Perhaps the sample size for this development test was not big enough considering you are quick to defend the Beta team about this. Were your sitting most of the time using them, likely I’m thinking. It’s an issue for some of us. But no worries, we have other options and can go there. It stinks to go somewhere else for a controller though considering how integrated the FC and III is. That is undeniable. Peace.

I'm not sure it's a quality issue - those can be the best transflective LCDs ever made. Who knows what choices they had and what an alternative would cost them.

Also, I don't think there are really good alternatives - apart from the scribble strips, the FCs seem to be the best choice for the III.

I personally don't worry too much about this issue - even if I can't see anything on these things, I can use color coding to identify layouts.

I'm not sure it's a quality issue - those can be the best transflective LCDs ever made. Who knows what choices they had and what an alternative would cost them.

Also, I don't think there are really good alternatives - apart from the scribble strips, the FCs seem to be the best choice for the III.

I personally don't worry too much about this issue - even if I can't see anything on these things, I can use color coding to identify layouts.

To me it’s not the quality per se, but size chosen which unfortunately relates to overall quality experience. ~ 1/2” tall and font is even smaller than that. . That’s borderline perceivable at distance imo. In a past life I was a master finish carpenter for many years. We used to cheat half inch all over the place at distance because we knew no one’s eyes would pick it up - to cover framing mistakes. It’s just small!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom