Mini LCD wish - bigger text or bold

I just ran a few tests here with my impaired vision. Just some in-sight ;), I'm near-sighted which means I can see my guitar great, but things start to get blurry a little further out. I'm over the century mark, and have ~20/50 vision. When I put glasses on I get the effects of presbyopia kicking in which means everything about 3+ ft out looks great, except I can't see my guitar anymore.

When I invert the text using the HOLD function, I find it to be harder to read than the default text. I think it's because there is still a bright border around it. Perhaps if it was fully blacked out it would be better, hard to say.

Looking at the unused text spacing on the FC-12 leads me to believe if that was filled up with bigger, bolder text it would be the perfect fit for me. Seems like there is definitely room there to grow the text for people like my self.
You should try progressive lenses

That wouldn't really be a relevant comparison, because it would ignore the pixel boundaries which determine the thicknesses of the letters.
To make the letters any thicker, there would need to be fewer of them. It's monospaced, 1-pixel strokes. To make the letters thicker would probably cost 2 characters.
The loss of 2 characters would be a welcomed addition if that option was available in the set up menu . Thanks for clarifying .

That wouldn't really be a relevant comparison, because it would ignore the pixel boundaries which determine the thicknesses of the letters.
To make the letters any thicker, there would need to be fewer of them. It's monospaced, 1-pixel strokes. To make the letters thicker would probably cost 2 characters.

Losing 2 characters for the ability to actually see the writing seems like a no-brainer for all us old farts....so I am going to go ahead and request it.

I’m young and I have good eyes so I can see it just fine. The older guy in my band who’s 55 said it was a little tough for him to read when we played this weekend. He could read it but not as easy as the bigger display. Maybe white text would’ve helped? maybe not. Hard for me to say. None the less I love my FC12. I love the price I paid and I’m sure Fractal did what was possible to keep the price at what it is. Great job FAS! Another awesome product!

Looks pretty good standing up. shrugs.........
that's 1" rod cut in half. they sell some that are 1.5" wide, should make it even bigger. 2x magnification

Looks pretty good standing up. shrugs.........
that's 1" rod cut in half. they sell some that are 1.5" wide, should make it even bigger. 2x magnification

So that's just a regular 1" acrylic "cloths hanger" bar cut in half with a band saw?
No polishing of the cut surface needed?
It seems to do the trick!

So that's just a regular 1" acrylic "cloths hanger" bar cut in half with a band saw?
No polishing of the cut surface needed?
It seems to do the trick!

Its 1" lucite rod I had for another project. Yes cut in half on the band saw. Wet sanded on the cut side then just glazed with a torch. Search the internet for Bar Magnifier to take most of the work out of it. Im thinking 1.5" wide magnifier would make the text look about as big as the main screen text. The drawback it would be 3/4" tall so may interfear with pressing the buttons fully. Would help to have barefoot buttons or the el-cheap-O ones like I bought off amazon.

The larger the diameter, the less curvature there is, and the less magnification you'll get.

The larger the diameter, the less curvature there is, and the less magnification you'll get.

I’ve experimented with these in the past. The other niggle is that you have to be right above them, otherwise viewing at angles can result in distortion, and light bouncing off them (eg stage/outdoor) could result in glare.

Reactions: Rex
Its 1" lucite rod I had for another project. Yes cut in half on the band saw. Wet sanded on the cut side then just glazed with a torch. Search the internet for Bar Magnifier to take most of the work out of it. Im thinking 1.5" wide magnifier would make the text look about as big as the main screen text. The drawback it would be 3/4" tall so may interfear with pressing the buttons fully. Would help to have barefoot buttons or the el-cheap-O ones like I bought off amazon.

Was wondering...how are you affixing these "magnifiers"?

As I said I had an idea and was just testing it. I would use semi-permanent 3M black double sided foam tape around the edge. Same type tape they use for lcd displays on phones/computers auto industry emblems so on.

Back
Top Bottom