Mini LCD wish - bigger text or bold

I can read the main display no problem ... The picture makes the scribble window appear washed out but I tried all the contrast and brightness settings without much improvement for my situation.

Thanks for the concern ..

This has been one of my worry spots with the FC since it was announced. The screens are very tiny and because they are backlight, a label physical label at the exact same size would be more readable (due to greater contrast). Plus, I've been spoiled from my GT experience since those have huge displays and an a bold font option, which I turned immediately. Still don't have an FC yet, so we'll see if it's an issue for me or not. Hopefully something can be done to increase readability for those for whom it is an issue.

Last edited:
This has been one of my worry spots with the FC since it was announced. The screens are very tiny and because they are backlight, a label physical label at the exact same size would be more readable (due to greater contrast). Plus, I've been spoiled from my GT experience since those have huge displays and an a bold font option, which I turned immediately. Still don't have an FC yet, so we'll see if it's an issue for me r not. Hopefully something can be done to increase readability for those for whom it is an issue.
Yeah I think it really is dependent on one’s own physical abilities. They are clear as day for me (again I wear glasses for everything past 2 feet). But with mixed vision correction needs, who knows what each person prefers?

Borrowing a bit from my “let’s use our smarts” thread, at some point we need to remember what’s where too. Of course the text is there to help us remember and use it, but the smart functions of the FC are great even if the text wasn’t there. Super valuable controller that integrates with the Axe3 immaculately and provides great control options.

Borrowing a bit from my “let’s use our smarts” thread, at some point we need to remember what’s where too. Of course the text is there to help us remember and use it, but the smart functions of the FC are great even if the text wasn’t there. Super valuable controller that integrates with the Axe3 immaculately and provides great control options.

No way I’m going to (or even want to) remember the function of every switch in each of the 8 layouts...

so that seems to not be much bigger than the text size of the display. maybe it is more of a contrast thing, rather than size.

for those viewing this image, keep in mind that cameras capture light differently than our eyes, so the display isn't as dim as it appears in many casual pictures. especially with most of the image being black, the camera will expose for that, making the screen seem much brighter than it actually is.
I kind of agree that it is a contrast thing . The main display as seen in my photo is much sharper than the smaller ones . The scribbles have more of a washed out appearance even though the photo accentuates it further .

Last edited:
No way I’m going to (or even want to) remember the function of every switch in each of the 8 layouts...
absolutely. that's why there are text displays for something where the same switch can do multiple things, many times.

compared to an MFC or other older design controller, those switches do one thing only.

but look at the RJM Mastermind LT. it has colored LEDs, but no displays, and switches can be assigned to multiple things across 16 pages. you basically have to remember everything for that unit. but i guess it works for someone out there :D

If the screen just said PLEXI 5... but used up 90% of the usable space to do it...in bold font...instead of what looks like about 50% vertically and maybe 80% horizontally as it is....
Would that work for you?

It looks like there is real estate there ...

It’s a combination of things. Font size, kerning, contrast, the font itself...

The current font only uses 60% of the available character height. Using more would make the font taller (and potentially larger overall, at the cost of number of characters displayed), but some of that height is used for the inverted display of hold functions.

Character spacing could be increased. Currently, there is only one pixel between characters.

White-on-black is more forgiving of poor focus than black-on-white, but that’s currently reserved for Hold functions.

A different font could be used. APHont, for example, was designed to enhance readability for people with poor vision.

Just as an FYI comparison ..

While awaiting the release of the FC's I have been using a Morningstar MC6 . I know the units are worlds apart in technology and function ability and have not tried it in direct sunlight . But I can read it while standing indoors.

IMG_4572.JPG IMG_4573.JPG

Agreed the white text on black or blue on black like the Morning star would be easier to read

Also bold text even if it meant you lost a couple of spaces 7 or
8 would still be enough
Even better if you could choose though
With so many choices in the Axe a bit of that extra flexiabilty in FC would be great

I know originally black background white text was an option I think M said it was reserved for something else so it’s sounds like it is possible

Again prior to release there was comments about changing fonts and size and I recall that being optional too. Maybe it changed in release ?

I'm not sure what the best answer here is. If there is room on the display for the Text to be physically bigger, then I'm all for that. For me, it just physically needs to be scaled taller and wider. My vision is not great, bigger is better. I don't think inverting the colors is my cup of tea, although I do see the appeal.

Hopefully a mode like the AX8 has for the larger fc display. That shows squares with active and inactive block states. I believe there is enough room on the last half of the big display for this?

Agreed the white text on black or blue on black like the Morning star would be easier to read

Also bold text even if it meant you lost a couple of spaces 7 or
8 would still be enough
Even better if you could choose though
With so many choices in the Axe a bit of that extra flexiabilty in FC would be great

I know originally black background white text was an option I think M said it was reserved for something else so it’s sounds like it is possible

Again prior to release there was comments about changing fonts and size and I recall that being optional too. Maybe it changed in release ?
It's used for Hold functions already.

I'm thinking you could make this user selectable so that normal state could use the inverted format and Hold could use the current "default".

By the way, I'm just under 6 feet tall and 50 years old, and I have no problem seeing the labels very clearly when standing... But I only wear glasses for reading.

It's used for Hold functions already.

I'm thinking you could make this user selectable so that normal state could use the inverted format and Hold could use the current "default".

By the way, I'm just under 6 feet tall and 50 years old, and I have no problem seeing the labels very clearly when standing... But I only wear glasses for reading.

Ya that would work great

Tap choose default or invert
Hold choose default or invert

And font maybe default or bold

People capable of actually using hold functions during live performance are like those comic book superheroes as far as I’m concerned. Never seen them in real life and consider that “don’t try this at home” stuff.

Back
Top Bottom