mini game : JP2C VS axe fx 3

which one is the real amp ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Now I'm rather interested to see a torpedo style impedance curve in axe fx. Not only for testing purposes, but also to have that kind of response in the arsenal..

The second one sounds like it needed to be fed into the IR a little hotter. You can tell in the opening part of the riff.

Hello boys ;-)
This is not a scientific comparaison as my cab is a 2x12 but you’ve got the idea.
Clip 1: real amp with sm57
Clip 2: real amp with torpedo captor
Clip 3: axe fx3 with the same IR

Big difference. Clip 1 obviously sounds way better, then clip 2 then clip 3 last of all.
Agree… but I have to say that axe fx 3 is close to the real amp with the reload. None of those sound like the real deal but as I said, it’s really not the same cab.
But this time I have to say that I prefer the reload over the axe :)
And as I also said, I really believe that the be deluxe sounds way better than the one that is modeled in the axe… shame it was there in a beta then removed

The drums are level matched. The guitars aren't.
I’ll check that later but I’m pretty sure all guitars were level matched; especially clips 2-3 because I use my axe fx as an ir loader for the torpedo captor so the output level is matched with my axe preset for live use :)

I let you know as soon as possible ;-)

The drums are level matched. The guitars aren't.
But to talk about what was said before. We can’t obviously say that one clip sounds better than an other, agree? ☺️
depending on what I wanna use in my mix, I’ll use either my axe or my torpedo or my sm57… it’s just a matter of taste… I know my axe preset doesn’t sound AT ALL like my mik’ed 212 and that’s the point 🤘: use what you have, enjoy playing and make some ******* noise haha 😆

But to talk about what was said before. We can’t obviously say that one clip sounds better than an other, agree? ☺️depending on what I wanna use in my mix, I’ll use either my axe or my torpedo or my sm57… it’s just a matter of taste… I know my axe preset doesn’t sound AT ALL like my mik’ed 212 and that’s the point 🤘: use what you have, enjoy playing and make some ******* noise haha 😆

The only reason I mentioned the level difference is because louder is perceived as better, and a level discrepancy could lead some people to think the Torpedo sounds better simply because it's louder.

You’re right. That could also be a good « ear » exercice. « Which sounds better?! » and use the same clip with 3 different levels, pretending that one is the real one and an other the axe lol. I’m pretty sure it’s already on YouTube haha.
That being said, everything matters: from the guitar to the amp (or not) to the gear used to record (cab, loadbox, Ir,..), the Eq you use, the interface and or plugins you use, the compressors, the level,…
As far as I try to record some popular song once a week I can definitely say that it’s not easy to choose between all these things! But what I can really tell you is that everything sounds good as soon as you know what you’re doing ☺️ and how to use your gear!
I recently read an interview of Drew of Universal Audio. Someone asked him « why didn’t you made the load behave like a real cab ». He just answered « how does it sound to you »? Isn’t it all that we need? Cheers 🍻

Last edited:
That being said, everything matters: from the guitar to the amp (or not) to the gear used to record (cab, loadbox, Ir,..), the Eq you use, the interface and or plugins you use, the compressors, the level,…
As far as I try to record some popular song once a week I can definitely say that it’s not easy to choose between all these things! But what I can really tell you is that everything sounds good as soon as you know what you’re doing ☺️ and how to use your gear!
I recently read an interview of Drew of Universal Audio. Someone asked him « why didn’t you made the load behave like a real cab ». He just answered « how does it sound to you »? Isn’t it all that we need? Cheers 🍻

Sure, but with regard to creating comparison clips, it's important to control for extraneous variables that contribute to differences in outcome, such as the interface, guitar, etc.

Back
Top Bottom