mini game : JP2C VS axe fx 3

which one is the real amp ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yes the suhr sound like a Marshall cab and the two notes like a Mesa to resume my Impressions after watching some comparaisons

I’d say the shure sounds more open than the captor. As the captor sounds a little muffled in this example, I really find the shure a little bit harsh. Reload seems to sit right in between

I picked the second one as the amp because the bass is overhyped and the treble is dull which is exactly what an amp sounds like through Two Notes stuff.

One should note that the incorrect impedance curve of the Two Notes will exaggerate the pick attack, especially in the lower frequencies.

In general the test is flawed because the impedance curves used are very different. I could add a Torpedo impedance curve but I'd rather not support a product that is inherently inaccurate.

Would it be feasible to add the Suhr impedance curve at some point?

I'd love to properly tone match my tube amps + Suhr reactive load with the models in the Axe so I can get a good reference tone before going to town on the advanced parameters.

I'd love to properly tone match my tube amps + Suhr reactive load with the models in the Axe so I can get a good reference tone before going to town on the advanced parameters.
I wonder if it may already be there
impedance list has
lb2 us lb2 uk and resistive load models is that maybe the Suhr or similar ?

I have done extensive comparison using my Marshalls using the LB-2 against the FM3 with the corresponding impedance curve.

The FM3 did very well!

Maybe I should stop being lazy and redo the comparison and post the results... ;)

I wonder if it may already be there
impedance list has
lb2 us lb2 uk and resistive load models is that maybe the Suhr or similar ?

The "LB2 US" and "LB2 UK" curves represent the two impedance curves of the Fractal LB2 that you can switch between.
The resistive load represents a load that is flat across all frequencies. Think old-style resistive load boxes like the THD Hot Plate.

The Suhr Reactive Load's impedance curve is based on the curve of an old Marshall Greenback 4x12. We don't really know how close either of the LB2's impedance curves are to the Suhr Reactive Load's impedance curve but if I had to guess I'd say the "LB2 UK" curve is probably closest to it. Or maybe the Suhr impedanc curve is closest to one of the other Marshall Greenback 4x12 impedance curves with the Cab Resonance turned all the way down.

Last edited:

But ? You still need a load box for doing this 😶‍🌫️ I mean you cannot plug your tube head to the axe directly so … where is the impedance curve located ? The one in the amp block where you chose recto straight or large or this or that ?

But ? You still need a load box for doing this 😶‍🌫️ I mean you cannot plug your tube head to the axe directly so … where is the impedance curve located ? The one in the amp block where you chose recto straight or large or this or that ?

The idea is that you could:

1. route a real tube amp -> real Suhr Reactive Load box -> Axe-Fx
2. select a "Suhr Reactive Load" impedance curve in the Axe-Fx's amp block

That way when Tone Matching or comparing, you could fully account for the "impedance curve" variable, as opposed to just guessing what the closest impedance curve in the Axe-Fx would be.

Having to guess and getting it wrong (no disrespect to the OP) leads to results like the ones found in the OP's video, where the amps sound vastly different because the impedance curves of the Torpedo and available impedance curves in the Axe are nowhere close to each other.

Last edited:
Ox Box uses the same inaccurate load as the Torpedo. The only accurate loads are the Fractal Audio LB-2 and the Suhr Reactive Load.

Even the guys at Neural agrees with this as I've just read on TGP...

I do get it's a matter of preference if you like certain sound, and in the end isn't it what are we all chasing? If you like the punch the Torpedo gives, then more power to you. BUUUUT if it's a matter of comparing products for accuracy, then I do agree this is flawed from the beginning.

It's like the KRK rockit monitors series... sure they can sound punchy in store and in your home studio, but when compared to, let's say... a Focal Trio11 BE which gives you the exact representation of the audio you're hearing then either you like the clarity and definition it gives or you end up dissapointed because it doesn't sound as punchy because it doesn't overhype certain frequencies as the KRKs does...

Y
Even the guys at Neural agrees with this as I've just read on TGP...

I do get it's a matter of preference if you like certain sound, and in the end isn't it what are we all chasing? If you like the punch the Torpedo gives, then more power to you. BUUUUT if it's a matter of comparing products for accuracy, then I do agree this is flawed from the beginning.

It's like the KRK rockit monitors series... sure they can sound punchy in store and in your home studio, but when compared to, let's say... a Focal Trio11 BE which gives you the exact representation of the audio you're hearing then either you like the clarity and definition it gives or you end up dissapointed because it doesn't sound as punchy because it doesn't overhype certain frequencies as the KRKs does...
Yes. To be honest, it seems that gear like Ox box or Torpedo are like « Bose » in the Hifi world haha. Always sound good but not as accurate as professional stuff.
I really love my Captor. And I also love Ox box videos on YouTube (I love UA as much as FAS). Suhr and FAS load boxes sound more… precise, open, but more… flat/harsh? To me it’s a matter of taste… the more you like it the better you play… you can always tweak your amp to compensate what’s not right to your ears…. And your sound engineer can also tweak things back in the studio so… all that matters is into the feeling…
I truly believe digital gear and analog gear are now on the same level. I really love my Friedman, my Captor, my axe, and really loved my Kemper too (please don’t say Helix haha). And believe me (or watch my video: ), as soon as you like your sound, if you can place it in a mix, everyone will like it ;-)

Thank you @GreatGreen now I understand better

i agree @AJ Vargas . As you said only the result matters. How many time we heard « use your ears, forget the rest » … then the impedance can be as wrong as they say, but the result is that the sound is more punchy and Alive than any modelers while using a tube head on it. I am not sponsored by two notes hm, but I read a lot of bad things about the torpedo captor only in the fractal community. This product and the whole brand is not bad at all . Then if you tell me that the captor is dangerous for the tube head because of this wrong impedance thing, now it’s not cool .
i still think the axe is the best modeler and I use it everyday , but using both real head + torpedo is a really nice alternative too .
as I said the torpedo captor is not a modeler so it’s not because of the torpedo that it sound great , but because you are playing with the original on it . So it combine both world .
with this test I learned that the Ir is important, but not as much as they say too , if the preamp is not dynamic, you can put whatever ir , your sound will be a compressed arrow

@My name is mud
if I understand right it is not that the impedance is wrong or dangerous.
It’s the impedance curve that is not accurate in the OX and the Torpedo, that’s two different things.

They are a lot of things not accurate in the axe and the answers is : « who cares of accuracy if it sounds good »

but it seems that the captor is just « something not accurate » 😅. So if the result is cool ?
I don’t care about the impedance of things in my life, I plug my guitar on it, if it kick ass that’s great . Even more if something x5 the price (ox) is similar . (Something I doubt until I don’t hear it)

Last edited:
This one is interesting
I prefer the sound of the torpedo in a mix, way more ba*** …bass sorry
But maybe out of the mix the suhr is clearer … hm . just add some extra treble in the torpedo so

Wow - Those two Torpedo samples sound really bad. The top end is almost muted - I guess dull is the right description - It is not alive at all.

In the mix in the beginning is the best by far 👍🏻
low + mids = b@llz

if you want you can tweak, add tons of treble , remove all the bass … you got buttons in wos and in the daw ☺️

😅🤦
It is so hard to keep a secret .

ok RESULTS only for this forum but shhhhh

1 is the axe
2 is the amp

so you see, the captor is not bad at all 😌.
For the price, it does more than the job . (It’s not the x but the basic one)

The votes were 50/50 ☺️

Wow, that's not what I expected and I'm normally pretty good with these things. It's been a shitty day and I just guessed in another thread, if I was wrong again I'm blaming it on this day. :D

Back
Top Bottom