• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

mini game : JP2C VS axe fx 3

which one is the real amp ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dpeterson

Axe-Master
1st Axe 2nd Real Amp. To me the first one sounded more sterile in comparison. This can come down to preference at this point, but they both sound great, 1 is probably missing 5% of some special rocket sauce.

Last edited:

unFILTERed

Power User
since you said "you get extra low end with the real thing"....the 2nd one is the amp! though i think it's a minor adjustment in the amp block or with an EQ and you can get the same. and with your recordings the difference is not only the low end.

My name is mud

Power User
In 15.01 I have done the same small test and the sound was drastically different . Now it’s 👍🏻.
I am curious about the other amps if they are all accurate like that . If you own a head included in the axe do it 😊

Dimi84

Inspired
I accidentally voted the other way around -- but you can see from my comment what I thought. So a bit more than 50 percent :D

phil92

Experienced
This is the first time I try to play with the head through a loadbo in the axe . It’s funny but seriously … I won’t continue doing that .
as someone said before , you can tweak your sound a lot more with the axe only, no need to put a head on it …
I won’t sold it cause it’s nice to play with the amp in the room when you don’t record . But for gigs and rec, the axe only is more than ok

new marketing slogan?

Axe FX III - more than OK!

Fjelltronen

All that matters is that I voted correctly. Now I can tell everyone that I have golden ears. If I had voted incorrectly it would have jsut been a fluke, but since I was right it is clear evidence of my superior tonal sleuthing abilities.
If your avatar is you, hell, I'd drink the Kool-Aid if you told me to :)

William Mims

Experienced
It's so close I wouldn't give a crap... LoL!
Then by the time I EQ and/or change to different cabs/IR's, I can pretty much make whatever realistic sounding amp tones I want.
I just rarely plug into one of my real amps anymore... Thinking about selling my mint condition Hughes & Kettner Triamp Mark 3 at this point.
It just sits there covered up collecting dust....

Fjelltronen

My avatar is a picture of small engine repairman Tim Gross Sr. dressed as his YouTube persona Taryl Dactal (no, not me). Check out his channel "Taryl Fixes All" for a unique blend of comedy and informative videos.

Thanks for that, right up my street ! The question is, has anyone ever seen Taryl Dactal and Les Claypool together in the same room?

My name is mud

Power User
Preset will be awesome!
The preset contain third party irs so I won’t shared them in respect of the maker . BUT .
its easy : gain 8/9, master 4, presence 6, bass 4, mid 5, treble 6. JP2c orange shred .
Then put the cab you like . I choose this pretty randomly as I wanted to compare the preamp section so the Ir is not important here

flitz

I think you have to give some bottom and open the mids to the Axe, that's my perception, but they both sound great.

Dimi84

Inspired
here is a new video , as I am in a "testing A/B mood"

sound 1 : JP2C - torpedo cab - soundcard - wall of sound
sound 2 : Axe FX 3 with just the amp block (jp2C yellow shred) soundcard - wall of sound with same IR

still dont have the sound of the real head yet with the axe . dont know what I need to tweak for this, I have tried many thing but ...
I think It's time to try the tonematch option .
edit : I have tried the tonematch option the result is even more different

This, as first clip also, actually sounds pretty similar to what I expect from Kemper when profiling amps. The mids are more tubescreamerish, like a TS pedal, or crybaby mixed in 10 percent -- for me in an undesirable way -- and there's a lack of depth.

Dimi84

Inspired
What i would do is lower the master volume in the axe fx sim. I've done comparisons where i went through a lot of tweaking, only to see that lowering the master vol got it closer more sufficiently.

Top Bottom