Mini expression pedal with switch

gdgross

Experienced
Hi guys, I'm in the process of shrinking my pedalboard.

I'm changing my EBJr volume pedal to a DOD mini expression pedal. Now I'm looking for something like a mini cry baby for expression. I like the feel of the mini crybaby as a wah, and I do use my expression with my Ax8 to control wah frequently, so I'd prefer something that "feels" good. (Currently using a mission exp pedal for this.)

The expression pedal would need to have a toe switch also... I really like it acting like a normal wah pedal...

Any ideas? Does dunlop make a mini-crybaby sized volume pedal that I could put a switch in? (I have been watching for a dead mini-crybaby but haven't found one yet.)

pedals with switches aren't made often because gear has "auto-engage" or similar features. just leave the pedal down when you're not using it, then when you move it, you have a wah. you can still park it in the middle for a certain tone if you need that.

pedals with switches aren't made often because gear has "auto-engage" or similar features. just leave the pedal down when you're not using it, then when you move it, you have a wah. you can still park it in the middle for a certain tone if you need that.
Thanks Chris -

I know about auto engage, but I've never really gotten on well with it. It's great, if you have a dedicated exp pedal for wah, but that's not me. My rig is as minimalistic as it can be, just one volume pedal and one exp (+ the axe8). I use the exp for both wah and to control other effects, and it's really nice to have the extra switch to turn wah on/off, or work the pedal without wah to control the other effects. If i used auto engage, any time I move the pedal it will mess with whatever other effect I have it controlling, unless I create a dedicated preset without wah.

PS I'm currently about 24" x 11.5" on my plywood pedalboard and I'm looking to shave another 1/2" off so I can fit it in a gig bag rather than my flight case...

I gutted an old broken crybaby and replaced the pot, wiring it to a TRS jack. I wired the switch to a TS jack. It works perfectly with the AX-8 (TRS cable for expression and TS cable for the switch) as you have described, but I'm in a similar boat wanting something smaller/lighter for my rig and traveling, etc. Dunlop does make a mini crybaby that should be able to be modded in the same fashion...I just don't want to pay upwards of $100 for just the housing. So I'm keeping an eye out for a broken one...

Back
Top Bottom