• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Mini expression pedal with switch

gdgross

Veteran
Best answers
Hi guys, I'm in the process of shrinking my pedalboard.

I'm changing my EBJr volume pedal to a DOD mini expression pedal. Now I'm looking for something like a mini cry baby for expression. I like the feel of the mini crybaby as a wah, and I do use my expression with my Ax8 to control wah frequently, so I'd prefer something that "feels" good. (Currently using a mission exp pedal for this.)

The expression pedal would need to have a toe switch also... I really like it acting like a normal wah pedal...

Any ideas? Does dunlop make a mini-crybaby sized volume pedal that I could put a switch in? (I have been watching for a dead mini-crybaby but haven't found one yet.)

chris

Legend!
Best answers
pedals with switches aren't made often because gear has "auto-engage" or similar features. just leave the pedal down when you're not using it, then when you move it, you have a wah. you can still park it in the middle for a certain tone if you need that.

gdgross

Veteran
Best answers
pedals with switches aren't made often because gear has "auto-engage" or similar features. just leave the pedal down when you're not using it, then when you move it, you have a wah. you can still park it in the middle for a certain tone if you need that.
Thanks Chris -

I know about auto engage, but I've never really gotten on well with it. It's great, if you have a dedicated exp pedal for wah, but that's not me. My rig is as minimalistic as it can be, just one volume pedal and one exp (+ the axe8). I use the exp for both wah and to control other effects, and it's really nice to have the extra switch to turn wah on/off, or work the pedal without wah to control the other effects. If i used auto engage, any time I move the pedal it will mess with whatever other effect I have it controlling, unless I create a dedicated preset without wah.

PS I'm currently about 24" x 11.5" on my plywood pedalboard and I'm looking to shave another 1/2" off so I can fit it in a gig bag rather than my flight case...

djmd14

New here
Best answers
I gutted an old broken crybaby and replaced the pot, wiring it to a TRS jack. I wired the switch to a TS jack. It works perfectly with the AX-8 (TRS cable for expression and TS cable for the switch) as you have described, but I'm in a similar boat wanting something smaller/lighter for my rig and traveling, etc. Dunlop does make a mini crybaby that should be able to be modded in the same fashion...I just don't want to pay upwards of $100 for just the housing. So I'm keeping an eye out for a broken one...

Top Bottom