MIM Stratocasters...again...

JRod4928

Power User
1) Are all MIM strats satin back of neck, gloss fretboard after, say 2012?
2) Are the MIM strat gloss fretboards sticky?
3) How is the quality of the MIM strats after 2012?

The MIM strat I'm looking at is in a warehouse, it's brand new, and I can get it for almost 1/2 of a normal strat price. They can't pull it out of the warehouse to get the serial number unless I'd decide to buy it.

In the past I've played an American tele with gloss fretboard and it was awesome. I'd love to get one of my own. I'm not sure if the MIM gloss is the same as the AM gloss, but I'm loving the idea of buying this 'almost' new MIM strat.

Thoughts?

For half price, I'd go for it. MIM's are consistently pretty good quality. Better hardware and pickups than the Squiers most of the time. Every guitar I've ever owned has had a gloss finish on the neck and it's never bothered me one bit. I personally don't get the beef people have with gloss necks, but different strokes for different folks. Fender uses a urethane based finish on nearly all of their instruments, so I wouldn't expect much difference there.

Stickey? My Tele Select (avatar) has a birds eye neck, glossy, but certainly not stickey - that would su**, no? BTW-My Fender Tele Select is not MIM, but you probably knew that :)

I would want to hold it first. I mean do they really want to sell it or not?
Just sayin"

Well I have a MIM Classic Player 60s Strat which doesn't have a gloss finish on the neck and it almost made me a humbucker hater at one point. One of the best guitars I've ever owned. The only guitar I own that's under 2k. :lol

For half price, I'd go for it. MIM's are consistently pretty good quality. Better hardware and pickups than the Squiers most of the time. Every guitar I've ever owned has had a gloss finish on the neck and it's never bothered be one bit. I personally don't get the beef people have with gloss necks, but different strokes for different folks. Fender uses a urethane based finish on nearly all of their instruments, so I wouldn't expect much difference there.

Posted before I saw your post or I would have commented. All my strats are maple fretboards and glossy. It's the stickey that I don't get. None of mine are.

cool. thanks guys... turns out it was sold and they didn't update their reverb inventory...bummer.

anyway, my research shows that MIM strats after 2012 have maple fretboard (I'm not as concerned about the maple neck, i'm talking about fretboard only). I just wanted to verify that.

You can tell a 2012+ MIM from -2011 by the fender logo

I prefer the 2012+ MIM's
I think the necks are a little nicer than the older 90s MIM's

Well- all MIM strats are offered in rosewood or maple and they're the same price

I have never owned a Fender Strat for some reason, although my first guitar was a cheap Strat copy. I've played lots of expensive strats, but the best Strat I EVER played was a Japanese Squier, circa 1987. What an awesome guitar that was. Shame it wasn't mine, and wasn't for sale. I really want a Classic player Strat though, I like 60's one, although I'd prefer the V neck profile which is only on the 50's one, so as ever, when choosing a Strat, there is a forced compromise, and that's likely the sole reason I never owned one.

Well I have a MIM Classic Player 60s Strat which doesn't have a gloss finish on the neck and it almost made me a humbucker hater at one point. One of the best guitars I've ever owned. The only guitar I own that's under 2k. :lol

Almost exactly my situation. My MIM Strat is by far my cheapest guitar but one that I like a LOT and I have a bunch of > $2k guitars as well.

Ten years ago or so I traded a troublesome JCM800 I had for some cash and had the music store throw in the MIM Strat just for the hell of a it. I never thought I liked Fender but this guitar really has turned out to be awesome.

Completely surprised me...

I didn't know Fender made the CP Strat without a gloss neck finish. I'd probably really like your guitar. I love the specs, color choices and price of the Classic Player 60s, but wasn't crazy about the thick, glossy, poly finish on my friend's 60s CP Strat. Made it feel more like a Guitar Hero controller than a real guitar.

cool. thanks guys... turns out it was sold and they didn't update their reverb inventory...bummer.

anyway, my research shows that MIM strats after 2012 have maple fretboard (I'm not as concerned about the maple neck, i'm talking about fretboard only). I just wanted to verify that.

That doesn't sound right. Are you sure? Fender site or sweetwater?

Back
Top Bottom