Mikko's Mesa Boogie Mark IV Preset-Cab Bundle Test

Not sure where I went wrong: downloaded your bundle, imported using Axe-Edit (3.2); it said IR in scratchpad, but scratchpad is empty (and preset consequently silent); saved preset to empty slot in XL+, but no IR to save (though I was prompted to do so) since scratchpad empty.

FWIW I've had no problem loading and using TAF preset bundles.

Hmm could it be a Quantum thing? I used the newest version of Axe-Edit for this. Probably FW19.

Hmm could it be a Quantum thing? I used the newest version of Axe-Edit for this. Probably FW19.

Maybe. I tried it again; same result: the preset loads, but the XL+ doesn't seem to see an IR in it. Haven't tried to load a TAF bundle in Quantum yet; will give that a try.

Edit: Same thing happened when I attempted to load a TAF bundle: cab block is set to scratchpad 1, but scratchpad 1 is empty, so there's silence. Didn't happen before I loaded Quantum.

Not sure where I went wrong: downloaded your bundle, imported using Axe-Edit (3.2); it said IR in scratchpad, but scratchpad is empty (and preset consequently silent); saved preset to empty slot in XL+, but no IR to save (though I was prompted to do so) since scratchpad empty.

FWIW I've had no problem loading and using TAF preset bundles.

I have the same problem on my XL+. It's a Quantum bug that's supposedly fixed for the final release which is supposedly due "in a few days".

I tried some factory cabs with it, and, although it obviously doesn't sound the same and I had to turn down the level, it seems to be able to translate quite well.

I have the same problem on my XL+. It's a Quantum bug that's supposedly fixed for the final release which is supposedly due "in a few days".

I tried some factory cabs with it, and, although it obviously doesn't sound the same and I had to turn down the level, it seems to be able to translate quite well.

There might be something up with the Cab-Preset Bundle thingy. If that's not working you can get the IRs free from the "Clark Kent Job - Generation Y" thread or simply use IRs from Cab Pack 7. The stock ML USA Trad IRs are f.ex.

There might be something up with the Cab-Preset Bundle thingy. If that's not working you can get the IRs free from the "Clark Kent Job - Generation Y" thread or simply use IRs from Cab Pack 7. The stock ML USA Trad IRs are f.ex.

No, it's a problem with user cabs in general with Quantum, I can't load them at all. That is, I could load one, and nothing else works. All my presets that used user cabs switched to factory cabs somehow and all user slots are now empty.

Grabbed this on FW19; loaded up no problem and when I saved it I just picked a location for the cab.

Gave it a run through with one of my 8 strings equipped with a Lundgren M8, and I dig it. Might have to cut the gain some to track with but sounds badass just to jam on. See if I can do a short clip soon. Thanks Mikko!

Found my cabs - turned out they're there, just scattered all over the place, mostly in factory slots.

Don't have time for recording, but it translates pretty well here. Some adjustments for different guitars may be needed, and some tweaking to taste, but those are quite minor actually, no need to touch any of the advanced parameters. Just level, maybe gain for different output pickups.

If you're testing this to see if bundles you create may be useful for other people, I guess this proves it.

Mikko, really quick chug clip....M8M copy with a Lundgren M8...sorry for the slop, man. I didn't want to change anything in the patch at all, so just adjusted the level and that was it. One L and one R. I could see using this; it's got a great crunch to it. I might try to do something more traditional later today using a LPC in drop C or something...

Mikko, really quick chug clip....M8M copy with a Lundgren M8...sorry for the slop, man. I didn't want to change anything in the patch at all, so just adjusted the level and that was it. One L and one R. I could see using this; it's got a great crunch to it. I might try to do something more traditional later today using a LPC in drop C or something...

Wow that is low! :D Thank you for the clip.

Hey Mikko, do you think that patch translates well live, or is it more a record like tone? I tried it last night and liked the "feel" of it but am not sure, if it cuts through a mix in a live situation.

Hey Mikko, do you think that patch translates well live, or is it more a record like tone? I tried it last night and liked the "feel" of it but am not sure, if it cuts through a mix in a live situation.

That obviously depends on many things. FOH wise it should be okay. The settings are not that far from f.ex. Petrucci's live settings. If you don't hear yourself through your own monitoring then that's another story. :)

I tried it during a rehearsal, and it didn't work for me at all in a live mix. The extreme mid scoop EQ totally drowns it.

I guess it depends on the genre. Those are pretty much the exact settings we use in our band. We use IEMs and no one has a problem with them. No idea how it works with FRFR or a different genre.

We played Alice In Chains' Would cover. So it's not awfully far from what you're playing, though not the same.

I have no idea how such a huge scoop can cut through, but thought to give it a shot since you said you used it. It was totally lost between bass and drums unless I made it insanely loud.

We played Alice In Chains' Would cover. So it's not awfully far from what you're playing, though not the same.

I have no idea how such a huge scoop can cut through, but thought to give it a shot since you said you used it. It was totally lost between bass and drums unless I made it insanely loud.

Well it's definitely a scoop but the Alloy IR that I use with it has a lot of mids so I feel like they balance each other out quite well. Feel free to raise that 750hz knob though. :)

Well it's definitely a scoop but the Alloy IR that I use with it has a lot of mids so I feel like they balance each other out quite well. Feel free to raise that 750hz knob though. :)

Yeah, maybe that, or cut some treble, or my ears will bleed from all this high end. :) I'll experiment more with this to be sure.

I'm not a big fan of Mark IV really, but I think I need this type of sound in my arsenal. For whatever reason, all my own high gain presets end up sounding the same - kind of djentyish, even though I don't play that kind of music at all. Maybe I've been using ENGL too much. :)

Ok here is something I was playing with for last few hours…
Based on Mikko's Mark IV Preset-Cab Bundle Test, here is an expanded version of mine.
Basically I added down tuning (6 opt.) + few types of lead.

Sc 1 – Mikko's basic tone.
Sc 2 – same but Eb tune
Sc 3 – same but D tune
Sc 4 – same but C tune
Sc 5 – same but B tune
Sc 6 – same but Bb tune
Sc 7 – same but A tune
Sc 8 – Mikko's basic tone + 2290 delay phased inv. on one side + 4 x PEQ to soften the overall tone for creamy leads.
+ 1 - In any scene you can kick the delay ON which will also kick in the 2 upper PEQ's to add a bit of softy tone on top of the basic.
+ 2 - Of course WAH is essential so….
+3 - Also dropped in a Chorus block which is still in default as I didn’t touched it yet.

XL BTW.

View attachment MKIV D.tune & leads.syx

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom