Mikko's Mesa Boogie Mark IV Preset-Cab Bundle Test

ML SOUND LAB

Cab Pack Wizard
Vendor
This is kind of a continuation of this thread: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...ound-lab-irs-clark-kent-job-generation-y.html <-- Go download the FREE IRs if you already haven't!

Long story short:

Irotlas and I have a band called "CLARK KENT JOB" and we just released out new EP "Generation Y". We used our real Mesa Boogie Mark IV through a Mesa 4x12 Traditional cab and a very special mic-up that is perfect in a mix and works really well with a scooped Mark IV. We had to re-record one of the songs so for that it was easier to use the Axe-Fx since we had shot IRs of the mic-up we were using. So essentially we have the soul of a Mark IV and Traditional cab with one of the most laborious mic-ups ever made inside this black magic box. ;)

Some guys were asking for Mark IV settings after I posted that thread so I thought I'd do ever better and try this new "Preset-Cab Bundle" feature. (I'm running FW19 but it should work for FW20 also.) So for those who don't know what it is: it's very cool and fast. The preset file also includes the IR and when you load it up with your Axe-Edit it automatically puts it in your Scratchpad but if you want to save that preset it will ask you where you want that IR saved. So don't be afraid to try it out. It will not break your Axe-Fx. :lol

The reason I'm making this test is very important. I want you guys to post clips using this bundle since if it does translate well for you guys then I might start adding these presets also to my Cab Packs. If it doesn't (which is what I fear is the case) then I'm not going to spend time doing something that doesn't work.

So for me it sounds like this:

Here's the Preset-Cab Bundle for "Mikko's Mesa Boogie Mark IV": https://db.tt/QecwdlRy

Please tell me if it sounds the same for you and if you can record a clip it would be extremely helpful and it could make the future Cab Packs even better. :) Thank you guys!

Here it is some random riffs done in a rush so sorry for sloppines and bad tuning.
Hope it helps, nevertheless.
Guitar is an Ibanez Rg with SSh+ and SSv PUs and VERY old strings.

Last edited:
Here it is some random riffs done in a rush so sorry for sloppines and bad tuning.
Hope it helps, nevertheless.
Guitar is an Ibanez Rg with SSh+ and SSv PUs and VERY old strings.

Thank you so much for the "love" alcyppa! That was really helpful. Maybe by fat sounding PRS had a bit more low end. Besides the obvious volume difference I think that preset works pretty good with your guitar. How does it feel? Like a real amp in the next room in a good studio? Or just meh? :)

Hey Mikko - I tried it out and YES it sounds very very good with my system and guitar ( Carvin CT6 stock PUPS) amazingly enough it translates very well . Bass at zero !!! how lol.
I will try to post a short sample later - Windows 10 is giving me some probs. not compatible with soundcloud ?
Quick question Cab is saved to scratchpad 1 ? how do I save to a user cab slot ugh I don't use axe edit hardly , front panel user . I wants to save this CAB! its tha bomb ha

thanks for sharing - I for one would buy your presets if you included them in future endeavors , they work well for me .

Hey Mikko - I tried it out and YES it sounds very very good with my system and guitar ( Carvin CT6 stock PUPS) amazingly enough it translates very well . Bass at zero !!! how lol.
I will try to post a short sample later - Windows 10 is giving me some probs. not compatible with soundcloud ?
Quick question Cab is saved to scratchpad 1 ? how do I save to a user cab slot ugh I don't use axe edit hardly , front panel user . I wants to save this CAB! its tha bomb ha

thanks for sharing - I for one would buy your presets if you included them in future endeavors , they work well for me .

That's awesome to hear! Bass at zero works because the Mark series essentially has two bass controls. One is the 80hz knob on the GEQ. So the less bass you have going in (0 bass) the tighter the low end and the more you can boost that 80hz which is "better low end" if that makes sense. :D Those are the settings we had on the real amp also so don't worry. It works!

When you press "save" on Axe-Edit it will prompt you and ask which user cab slot you want that IR saved. :)

Wow. You don't hear a lot of Los Lobotomoys around here. Maybe this clip will sell Lukather an Axe-Fx.

Yeah, sadly.

Thank you so much for the "love" alcyppa! That was really helpful. Maybe by fat sounding PRS had a bit more low end. Besides the obvious volume difference I think that preset works pretty good with your guitar. How does it feel? Like a real amp in the next room in a good studio? Or just meh? :)

Feels quite alive with great dynamic responsiveness and like a carefully miced cabinet.
Really polished.
I like to giggle with the mark series sims (hard to tweak=challenge) and this amp+ir combo works very well.

But I'm more of a british feel lover so maybe I'm not the best guy to judge.

When you press "save" on Axe-Edit it will prompt you and ask which user cab slot you want that IR saved.

It didn't ask that , just asked what preset # to save it at so there its at - cab says scratchpad - IDK what a scratchpad is ha ! no matter - makes sounds, that what's important !
thanks

When you press "save" on Axe-Edit it will prompt you and ask which user cab slot you want that IR saved.

It didn't ask that , just asked what preset # to save it at so there its at - cab says scratchpad - IDK what a scratchpad is ha ! no matter - makes sounds, that what's important !
thanks

Hmm that's weird. Well if you're having problems with saving the IR you can get it here: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...ound-lab-irs-clark-kent-job-generation-y.html

thanks

you might be using an older version of Axe firmware and/or Axe-Edit if it doesn't do that. :)

Hi Mikko,
Your preset has the 5 band EQ set to pre power amp, as the default for mesa is post power amp?
Is this on purpose?

Yeah it is. I actually A/B'd the difference and measured it etc but there was really not a big difference in the sound but the feel IMO was maybe a little bit better with the GEQ pre power amp so I left it that way. :)

Hi Mikko,
Your preset has the 5 band EQ set to pre power amp, as the default for mesa is post power amp?
Is this on purpose?

Yeah it is. I actually A/B'd the difference and measured it etc but there was really not a big difference in the sound but the feel IMO was maybe a little bit better with the GEQ pre power amp so I left it that way. :)
Real Marks have the 5-Band EQ Pre Power-Amp, That's why was wished (Thanks Cliff).

The Axe-FX always selects the Post Power-Amp as a default in any EQ choice, but if you want a faithful representation of a Mark EQ you should select the Pre Power-Amp

I did download that your preset bundle, and the only thing I changed in order to get the same sound as you posted was about level I just reduced that !,and I think the only reason is the differences between our pickups out put, I'm using BNP-Juggernauts.

Mikko, The bundle sounds great with my JS1000. Really like the bundle idea, you get exactly what the preset builder did instead of fumbling around trying to find the User IR. I love the idea of including them in Cab Packs. A lot of us don't have the luxury of having the expensive amps laying around to directly compare to the Axe when you are making the preset. I know everyone says trust your ears, but when I look at some of the settings, not sure if I would ever get there. The other great idea is having the Ace folder. It's cool when you can go to the directory the IR producer says, "These are the ones I like the best." Just want to say thanks and keep em coming.

Mikko, The bundle sounds great with my JS1000. Really like the bundle idea, you get exactly what the preset builder did instead of fumbling around trying to find the User IR. I love the idea of including them in Cab Packs. A lot of us don't have the luxury of having the expensive amps laying around to directly compare to the Axe when you are making the preset. I know everyone says trust your ears, but when I look at some of the settings, not sure if I would ever get there. The other great idea is having the Ace folder. It's cool when you can go to the directory the IR producer says, "These are the ones I like the best." Just want to say thanks and keep em coming.

You're way too kind! :)

Not sure where I went wrong: downloaded your bundle, imported using Axe-Edit (3.2); it said IR in scratchpad, but scratchpad is empty (and preset consequently silent); saved preset to empty slot in XL+, but no IR to save (though I was prompted to do so) since scratchpad empty.

FWIW I've had no problem loading and using TAF preset bundles.

Back
Top Bottom