Software "MIKKO" - Next Gen Cab Sim | Shoot your own IR's [ML Sound Lab]

Third party software for Fractal Audio products.
I feel like I got a great value on the original with 9 excellent cabs for 99 euros. When is the next bundle?
It sure is a great deal - still is! I wanted to launch the MIKKO as a complete package so that's why there were so many cabs in the first release. I think there will be some bundles in future as well but I think the next packs will be single cabs like this ORNG. There's also been many requests for getting some of these cabs separately, people wanting just the Mega Old or Dizl cab for example. :)

Maybe in future - the IR's for the MIKKO Essentials were actually shot in 2018 before any of the .wav Cab Packs were released so they're from a different shoot session altogether. :)

Ok, so I've finally given Mikko a try (my gift to myself for christmas and my birthday ... yes, I'm not rich ;)). It runs fine on Linux via wine. I still have to find a way to lower latency to a usable level, but this plugin is amazing! Being able to adjust such detail isn't possible with the usual IR packs. Nothing new I'm saying here, I know, but with IR packs it's like gambling. You never know if the included shots suit your needs. If an IR is very close to what you want, you have to find another one to mix in the missing frequencies. Doesn't necessarily sound the way you want then. Here we just move the virtual mic a bit and bääm, we're there.

I've just spent like 10 minutes and already got something much better than I had before. My goto IR I used before was a compromise. No compromise now. I'm shocked, really! No more IR packs for me, period!

The only thing I'm missing are certain mics. E.g. with Mesa cab IRs by valhallir.at I love the C414. They provide a lot of mics, which I kind of got used to. It's a bit of a pity that only one condensor mic is included. The 184 is a good one, absolutely no doubt about that! Still, it's the only complaint I have.

Mikko (the human ;)), that application was the best idea! And I'm really glad it runs on Linux aswell. The mouse pointer disappears all the time, just like with Axe-Edit ... But still it's useable.

Why haven't I tried this earlier... :rolleyes:

edit: Using this in combination with the III must be absolutely glorious!

Last edited:
Hi Mikko, I sent you a mail 2 days ago regarding a license problem. I bought MIKKO with my laptop, when my music computer was out for repairs, and I just got my music computer back but of course the key doesn't match (I have no intention of using it on my laptop, as I use the later only for internet)

Hi Mikko, I sent you a mail 2 days ago regarding a license problem. I bought MIKKO with my laptop, when my music computer was out for repairs, and I just got my music computer back but of course the key doesn't match (I have no intention of using it on my laptop, as I use the later only for internet)
Will get back to you via email! There's a slight wait in customer service with the new ORNG launch. Sorry for the wait.

Ok, so I've finally given Mikko a try (my gift to myself for christmas and my birthday ... yes, I'm not rich ;)). It runs fine on Linux via wine. I still have to find a way to lower latency to a usable level, but this plugin is amazing! Being able to adjust such detail isn't possible with the usual IR packs. Nothing new I'm saying here, I know, but with IR packs it's like gambling. You never know if the included shots suit your needs. If an IR is very close to what you want, you have to find another one to mix in the missing frequencies. Doesn't necessarily sound the way you want then. Here we just move the virtual mic a bit and bääm, we're there.

I've just spent like 10 minutes and already got something much better than I had before. My goto IR I used before was a compromise. No compromise now. I'm shocked, really! No more IR packs for me, period!

The only thing I'm missing are certain mics. E.g. with Mesa cab IRs by valhallir.at I love the C414. They provide a lot of mics, which I kind of got used to. It's a bit of a pity that only one condensor mic is included. The 184 is a good one, absolutely no doubt about that! Still, it's the only complaint I have.

Mikko (the human ;)), that application was the best idea! And I'm really glad it runs on Linux aswell. The mouse pointer disappears all the time, just like with Axe-Edit ... But still it's useable.

Why haven't I tried this earlier... :rolleyes:

edit: Using this in combination with the III must be absolutely glorious!
This is the best kind of feedback. I definitely want to start fine tuning everything even more. I'm currently hunting for new gear so I'll ask around for a vintage 414. ;)

Nice! There are other mics that are intriguing, but the 414 is my first choice.

I'm looking foreward to see where you're going with this thing. Such possibilities!

And I have to say this to people who still hesitate: The new licensing model is even more attractive. Chose one cab you feel the most comfortable. That's 30$, which is more than the usual IR package, BUT you'll find a better tone in much less time. It's really fascinating!

Worth every penny!

Imagine this:
Having something like this implemented in the Axe. Mindblowing! THAT would be a feature, that would suit the III's workflow much better. The III's display seems capable of displaying it aswell. Using bought IR packs is like using bought profiles with the Kemper. You can use them, find good ones, but the last detail is difficult to get. With the Axe, you can create the amp tone yourself from scratch to the last detail. That flexibility is still missing in the cab block, but not anymore thanks to Mikko (both the human and the plugin, but mostly the human of course ;) )

Installing the update worked perfectly on my end. So it is possible. No idea though why it wouldn't work for you guys.

It must have something to do with the hardware that has changed.
I installed a new graphic card prior to installing the update.
I now get a different request key from when I originally ordered it.

The request key is tied to computer hardware - if there are major changes then that request key can change and of course in that case we always create a new license. We spend a lot of time doing just this. We also offer two unlocks per license purchase for everyone manually because many people run two computers.

Still I apologize for a possible wait - this is essentially a 1-3 man (on different sides of the planet) operation at the moment and we do the jobs of an entire organization. Our aim is to get things working on the same week if problems occur, but in many cases there's a lot of back and forth messaging which can cause delays. If you're having these kinds of issues please email mikko(at)ml-sound-lab.com with your order details and your new request key and you should have it working that same week. You guys are awesome!

Are you ready for some new MIKKO cabs? :O

Noob question here and I'm assuming I'm understanding this wrong, but I bought the Traditional Mesa cab pack last night and then downloaded Mikko, am I able to tweak those IR's with Mikko, or?

When I open the License Manager, it has Mega 412 New lit up in green, (Also Licensed and Loaded are in green) there's a request key that I copy and when I click the key it brings me to the Request page, adds it into my cart and then rings it up for $199.

Am I just confused and in actuality, it's $199 to be able to use the Mikko to modify the cabs in the Mesa pack?

Apologies for my buffoon question if I'm way off base.

Noob question here and I'm assuming I'm understanding this wrong, but I bought the Traditional Mesa cab pack last night and then downloaded Mikko, am I able to tweak those IR's with Mikko, or?

When I open the License Manager, it has Mega 412 New lit up in green, (Also Licensed and Loaded are in green) there's a request key that I copy and when I click the key it brings me to the Request page, adds it into my cart and then rings it up for $199.

Am I just confused and in actuality, it's $199 to be able to use the Mikko to modify the cabs in the Mesa pack?

Apologies for my buffoon question if I'm way off base.

They're two different things. The cab packs are just that, whats inside is all you get. With Mikko program, which is separate from the cab packs, you get the cabs that are available within that program ONLY. Which allows you to have way more control over where the mic is placed etc.
You can't buy cab packs and load them into Mikko, unless its specifically for Mikko.

They're two different things. The cab packs are just that, whats inside is all you get. With Mikko program, which is separate from the cab packs, you get the cabs that are available within that program ONLY. Which allows you to have way more control over where the mic is placed etc.
You can't buy cab packs and load them into Mikko, unless its specifically for Mikko.

Ahhhh, that makes much more sense to me. Thanks, man!

Back
Top Bottom