Software "MIKKO" - Next Gen Cab Sim | Shoot your own IR's [ML Sound Lab]

Third party software for Fractal Audio products.
Try this one. Mega 412 New, 121 on cap 6” distance / Dzl 412, 57 on smooth cone. High, Low cut to taste. Move 57 closer to cap for more edge. Sounds great here! Recto Red, Mayones, Atlas pups.
317827ED-057A-4B58-AC7E-7E7CE81E6F31.jpeg

Last edited:
Mikko - this is brilliant!! I've always struggled with IR's as there's way too many to scroll through. By the time I get through a fraction of the list my ears are tired and I don't even know what I'm looking for anymore. Especially as I'm scrolling through multiple speakers/mics/placements all at once. A nice visual representation to select specific microphones, and move them around is so much more intuitive. It's what I was used to when miking real amps/cabinets in my studio before I picked up my Axe FX III. Something like this should have been included with Axe Edit in my opinion. It would have helped a lot of new users struggling to get used to modelling and IR's. I've been playing with the demo and I'm very impressed so far. As soon as I catch up on my credit card bill I'll be purchasing.

One question, just so I'm clear here. If I set up the perfect sound with multiple microphones and cabinets, can I simply export to a single IR and import into my Axe FX III for future use outside of my studio? That should save huge on processor as well having one IR rather than blending 3 or 4 as I have been currently. Am I understanding this correctly?

Cheers.
Yes that's the idea of MIKKO - you simply "print out" your cab simulation as an IR that you can use anywhere. There are many different use cases for many different types of people so it's difficult to say what MIKKO actually is because it can be many things. One of those things is that it's the biggest IR collection ever with a mixer and an IR loader with a workflow that helps you find your sound very quickly. But it does about a dozen other cool things as well. :D

Try this one. Mega 412 New, 121 on cap 6” distance / Dzl 412, 57 on smooth cone. High, Low cut to taste. Move 57 closer to cap for more edge. Sounds great here! Recto Red, Mayones, Atlas pups.
View attachment 56851
Now that's a classic mic combo and based on the spectrum analyzer that's a super tight low end with a very balanced overall sound and beefy mids. That should sound really nice and meaty!

Reactions: MSS
Another great one for Recto Red. It’s a 121/421 mix. Mega 412 OLD, 121 on cap 1” distance / Dzl 412, 421 on smooth cone. High, Low cut to taste. Great for PM and chunk with clarity. It also sounds surprisingly good with USA clean. What would be cool is if there was a way to export the settings for sharing/importing.

0AD13F6D-78E6-4B8D-9E3D-2B94AB518D58.jpeg

Mikko, you need to implement an export function for nicely demonstrating peoples favourite mixes! ;) I'm thinking of something like a table for the settings and an image for the positions and the spectrum.

Good ideas guys - thank you. For people asking about the VST3 folder - for Windows users it's Program Files -> Common Files -> VST3. VST2 licensing has been discontinued so MIKKO is VST3 only. And about sharing presets - those are actual files in your folders that you could essentially copy and paste already but having a handy preset export function could be cool as well.

Leon @2112 Todd just posted a MIKKO video today:

Okay, for those who still haven't figured it out...............I just did today!!! Start off in Mikko and set your Audio/MIDI so it looks like the pic below.
Then while in Mikko click on the control panel. Set it to what works best for you or what I have in the pic below.
Next step. Put your amp and what other effects blocks you want, followed by the FXLoop. That's it! Mikko.jpgaxefx mikko.pngmikko fxloop.png

Okay, so I bought this and I'm really liking it. Awesome job there Mikko! :D
Now I have a few questions and a request.

One - any way of getting the impedance for each cab?

When you start adding more cabs, those of us who recently bought packs from your site get a big discount, right? That's if you add in the cabs already purchased of course.

And is it possible to add in a way to send the exported file right to the Axefx user slots? Kind of like Cablab. To many extra steps getting it in a user slot. Thanks!

Wow @Heavyplayer thank you so much for that quick tutorial on the Axe-Fx II Standalone settings. Trial and error is what I would've done as well and just posted what works. Maybe now is a good time to read the Axe-Fx manuals but they must have more than two sentences in them right? ;)

1) Impedance - the MIKKO controls essentially cover "all the ground" and that's how it was designed. A combo speaker will have a very low resonance frequency, UK and US are actually very similar as well but the amount varies and that's where you have the controls to fine tune things. If you think about something like the X-Load by Fractal then it essentially has two modes in it that are US and UK and I think the US is the combo mode and UK is kind of the 4x12 mode. The impedance section was more designed to compensate for if you're using a modeler that doesn't have proper power amp modeling in it so with a Fractal you don't need it but it can be a cool EQ type tool.

2) I haven't planned this thing out yet but right now it looks like I won't be doing any of the same cabs immediately. I do have a few that I think are on the to-do list.

3) I'd love to include .syx export and midi send options but I believe that would be against many EULAs and we try not to break any laws. :) At least for Axe-Fx III users the process is quite quick because you can just drag'n'drop a .wav IR on the cab block and it'll save to that slot.

Okay, for those who still haven't figured it out...............I just did today!!! Start off in Mikko and set your Audio/MIDI so it looks like the pic below.
Then while in Mikko click on the control panel. Set it to what works best for you or what I have in the pic below.
Next step. Put your amp and what other effects blocks you want, followed by the FXLoop. That's it! View attachment 56918View attachment 56919View attachment 56920

Hmm... I did these settings and I’m it getting any Mikko. All I have for sound is just the amp block through Output 2. Am I missing something?

3) I'd love to include .syx export and midi send options but I believe that would be against many EULAs and we try not to break any laws. :) At least for Axe-Fx III users the process is quite quick because you can just drag'n'drop a .wav IR on the cab block and it'll save to that slot.
[/QUOTE]

Wait what? I’ve been using Cab Lab (which is awesome) to convert. Did not know you could do this.

Hmm... I did these settings and I’m it getting any Mikko. All I have for sound is just the amp block through Output 2. Am I missing something?

Just to make sure everything is the same here. On the Axefx, have the Main input source set the Analog IN 1. I'm using the front input, and set it to left only. Other then that, when you add the FXLoop, DO NOT use shunts past the FXLoop.

Much appreciate your efforts..still there is a need for a tutorial for those of us who have AXE FX II and
use AXE FX II as a stand alone device.
Thank you !

@Heavyplayer just posted how it works as a standalone with his Axe-Fx II above. I'm asking Zach to do a video on this topic just in case.

Thanks! I will definitely need this as I still am getting nothing but the amp block sound, even after rechecking everything @Heavyplayer mentioned. It's odd because in the Mikko app I can see an input and output signal, but there's no IR applied. I've got to make sure I can get this to work before purchasing.

Hi

Watched the videos and bought it last night, but I can't get this to work at all with my MacBook (I'm all Mac).

I followed the video on using with the Axe III, and the USB drivers don't seem to work at all as you describe.

When I select the AXE III in Mikko and press test I hear the sound through the Axe III speakers, but this doesn't go through the preset I have set up at all, meaning I can't hear it with delay or reverb after the cab. It's simply using the USB driver as a standard MacBook speaker.

I've got the routing TO the Mikko standalone working by selecting output 2 in Axe Edit and input 3 on Mikko, which makes sense.

But nothing seems to be able to get me to route it back into the preset I've got running.

Anyone actually got this properly working on the Mac?

Back
Top Bottom