Software "MIKKO" - Next Gen Cab Sim | Shoot your own IR's [ML Sound Lab]

Third party software for Fractal Audio products.
My guess is it's either something in the axefx that isnt set right, or it's in my audio settings. Then again it could be how to route the signal chain??Mikko.jpg

Last edited:
I'll have a proper look at this soon - sorry for the delay. The 100% certain way to use it like I did first in the Axe-Fx III video where you're using another audio interface.

Hi Mikko, I also got the full version and have it running with my Axe III. Are you planning any documentation on what speakers were in each guitar cabinet and also brief explanation of controls and typical setups ? I have it running with the Axe but I am still having problems getting it running with my interface and plugins with my DAW. I will get is sorted but a short explanation of the typical (or intended) use /signal path would help. A brief explanation of the controls would be welcome to avoid incorrect assumptions.

This product is a great idea. I have already created 3 IR's that are very useful to me and I am still learning the product ! Wishing you success with this wonderful product and I look forward to seeing it mature.

I just got the full version. MIKKO is a lot of fun. It's kind of like having your own robotic mic stand to shoot IRs with.
That's the feedback I got from "someone" in the industry. It's like having a mic robot that does XYZ axis movement on an amazing cab collection. :)

Hi Mikko, I also got the full version and have it running with my Axe III. Are you planning any documentation on what speakers were in each guitar cabinet and also brief explanation of controls and typical setups ? I have it running with the Axe but I am still having problems getting it running with my interface and plugins with my DAW. I will get is sorted but a short explanation of the typical (or intended) use /signal path would help. A brief explanation of the controls would be welcome to avoid incorrect assumptions.

This product is a great idea. I have already created 3 IR's that are very useful to me and I am still learning the product ! Wishing you success with this wonderful product and I look forward to seeing it mature.
Thanks for the feedback! We're looking at making the usability easier with updates already.

I hope to have a proper document up going through everything but we actually added the speaker info on the website.

So last night I updated one of my presets to bypass the cab (duplicating the rest of the chain which goes to out 1 ) and send it to Axe III out 2 (input 3 4 in Logic). This way I have my normal chain, a no cab chain and a DI. My Axe physical out 1 left and right go to my monitors as well as USB input 1 2 in Logic.

My Logic input 3 4 is at -12 with the Mikko plugin bypassed. When I engage it it immediately drops -5 db which I just adjust in the Mikko plugin out level. Is this normal?

So has there been any clarification as to whether this works with the II? I was watching the tutorial and obviously the II can’t be set up in the exact same way.
The first way I show in the video works with everything you plug into your computer. If you have sound on your computer - it has a sound card and you can use it like in the video. If you want to use the Axe-Fx as your sound card then routing is a bit different and I hope to have guides for that as soon as possible. Sorry for the delay - Google is your friend if you want it faster. :) MIKKO works just like any other Standalone program.

Oh shit son this is like in Amplitube but it actually sounds good! Fidelity is great
Yeah this is the real deal. Pretty much all UIs that do this kind of a thing are what I would call two dimensional and just 2-4 IR's or EQ filters. Two dimensional as in movement happens left to right (first dimension) and front to back (second dimension). MIKKO actually goes into the up and down dimension as well so that's why I proudly say that it's 3D.

One example of one of those programs has one dead center position that you'd never use and one far edge position that you'd never use. Blending between those two sounds will never give you a sweet spot sound and that's why many of those programs sound bad.

How long are the exports?
We're actually fine tuning this as we speak. The aim has been 200ms but we're going through everything in hopes of putting out a 500ms IR just like the ML Sound Lab Cab Packs do.

Mikko - this is brilliant!! I've always struggled with IR's as there's way too many to scroll through. By the time I get through a fraction of the list my ears are tired and I don't even know what I'm looking for anymore. Especially as I'm scrolling through multiple speakers/mics/placements all at once. A nice visual representation to select specific microphones, and move them around is so much more intuitive. It's what I was used to when miking real amps/cabinets in my studio before I picked up my Axe FX III. Something like this should have been included with Axe Edit in my opinion. It would have helped a lot of new users struggling to get used to modelling and IR's. I've been playing with the demo and I'm very impressed so far. As soon as I catch up on my credit card bill I'll be purchasing.

One question, just so I'm clear here. If I set up the perfect sound with multiple microphones and cabinets, can I simply export to a single IR and import into my Axe FX III for future use outside of my studio? That should save huge on processor as well having one IR rather than blending 3 or 4 as I have been currently. Am I understanding this correctly?

Cheers.

Last edited:
I just paid for it, said screw it I'll deal with the credit card payment later... lol!!

In any case, in the matter of 10 minutes I created a single IR for my primary preset that sounds 10x better than what I was using before with 3 blended IRs. Sounded fantastic with my studio monitors. So I imported into my Axe FX III and did an A/B comparison blasting through my XiTones and wow what a difference. Plus the added bonus is my processor usage dropped over 10%.

This product is amazing - thank you Mikko!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom