Software "MIKKO" - Next Gen Cab Sim | Shoot your own IR's [ML Sound Lab]

Third party software for Fractal Audio products.
Hi Guys just wanted to give an update, I was able to figure out my issue. On osx 10.4.6 I had to give permission to let the mikko app use my laptop microphone to let the inputs work. Now it does work via usb, xlr, mic, direct cable. My friends MacBook running the previous software doesn't have this as an option in his privacy settings so I'm guessing it gave the app automatic permission.
One last question though, is there a way to use a mono input but have it output in stereo?
Thanks

Is there any way to rename or delete presets? If you go into an existing preset to adjust something, you have to retype the name to overwrite it. If you spell something wrong you will end up with a new saved preset, but there doesn't seem to be any way to delete or rename it. Maybe this can be incorporated into a future update?
We're working on a bigger update that hopefully covers these issues as well. Man it's a serious amount of work to create a plugin like this. Right now you can manually find the preset files as they're actual files with the same names - then just delete them.

Hi Guys just wanted to give an update, I was able to figure out my issue. On osx 10.4.6 I had to give permission to let the mikko app use my laptop microphone to let the inputs work. Now it does work via usb, xlr, mic, direct cable. My friends MacBook running the previous software doesn't have this as an option in his privacy settings so I'm guessing it gave the app automatic permission.
One last question though, is there a way to use a mono input but have it output in stereo?
Thanks
Thanks for the update! Yes you should be able to choose a mono input - you'll get signal coming in from the left side only but the output will be in stereo. :)

I have some questions which I though I'd best ask publicly, in case others have the same:
  1. The IRs produced with Mikko are 341 ms long. Where's this value coming from? ;)
  2. When I use two or more mics and configure them with different distances, is there a way to keep the phase difference? As far as I see (and hear) this is being compensated. Is this correct? The phase knob only allows some phase differences unfortunately.
  3. But when I export this as an IR, I can select MPT. Looking at the wav form I see it starts immediately, which it should. When I deselect MTP, it starts at a little delay, which is also correct. I expect this delay to be different whether I chose a distance of 0" or 16". But the delay is the same. This can be expected, since the delay by distance seems to be compensated, but what does this delay really represent, where does it come from? Wouldn't it make more sense to cut the silence in front?

Too bad my 3 questions weren't answered. So this post is also a bump.

But it's not the main reason for this post:
I want to again celebrate this tool! More and more I realize that cab packs just aren't my thing, I need more freedom. I found a combination of mic + cab + position that is completely atypical my style (Metal), but I love it like hell!

screenshot.png

Look at the distance!! 12" are about 30 cm (in a real unit of length), which is just waaaaaay more than what I usually see. I know that with ribbon mics it's not uncommon to mic with bigger distances, but I always thought that this combination only works for e.g. blues sounds etc. Here I have this old cab with Greenbacks and a ribbon mic and it just blows! A little preamp simulation for additional goodness in the cab block, lowpass to ~8000 Hz, highpass to ~80 Hz. Works perfectly in a mix and requires almost no post processing. No need for an SM57, imho it kills the sweetness of the R121!

I love this thing, can't say it enough.

Unfortunately I cannot install the update on Linux with WINE, because it requires a not yet supported feature "I/O completion on lock" (that's what the error message says). That's a real pity! I'm glad I still have the previous install files!

This tool is amazing and finding a good sound is so much easier now. I hated going through a list of IRs.
Well worth it!

Something that I would love to see, is a bass cabinet being added :cool:

Exported IR's dont sound like original- weak, lifeless, no bass.?
I am using windows, stand alone, the fx loop/usb-dig output 2. I am getting plenty loud bassy balsy great stuff while in the sound lab, but my exported IR's sound like crap. Do I have to save with louder output than I hear while using the sound lab? Is there a secret to getting the exact sound I hear in the mikko. thank you.

Back
Top Bottom