Mikko 2

I’m torn…..thinking might be worth getting this since Fractal only has 19 cabs done? Might be nice to have while waiting on
Fractal since it looks like it’s going to be a while…..hmmmm

I’m torn…..thinking might be worth getting this since Fractal only has 19 cabs done? Might be nice to have while waiting on
Fractal since it looks like it’s going to be a while…..hmmmm
As Cliff always says: "Quality over quantity". More cabs just means more options, not necessarily better. ;)
Out of the thousands of IRs I have, there are maybe a dozen that consistently get used.

With myself being on the FM3 - it depends what format makes it. The hardware may not be able to cope.
But then what ever replaces cab lab may be similar to MIKKO (cab smoothing would be excellent as well)
ML Sound lab have also said there will be no further cab packs for MIKKO so you need to make sure there is enough variety for you.

As Cliff always says: "Quality over quantity". More cabs just means more options, not necessarily better. ;)
Out of the thousands of IRs I have, there are maybe a dozen that consistently get used.
I think you might have misunderstood my post........I'm not saying one will be better than the other based on quantity of cabs or
anything else for that matter.......just pondering if I should get the one while waiting on the other. icon_wink.gif

Last edited:
So I ended up purchasing Mikko2 as got a good deal with being a previous customer.
I'm not sure what it is, something seems amiss as everything seems really scooped on most of the cabs even when adjusting distance etc.
I've compared the edvh cab between Mikko 1&2 with similar settings and it is light night and day. It's like something is cancelling out in mikko2 but even with one mic it there is a general scooped sound to it.
I've sent them an example so shall see what they say - probably be something on the line as the are new captures in mikko2.

Last edited:
So I ended up purchasing Mikko2 as got a good deal with being a previous customer.
I'm not sure what it isn't, something seems amiss as everything seems really scooped on most of the cabs even when adjusting distance etc.
I've compared the edvh cab between Mikko 1&2 with similar settings and it is light night and day. It's like something is cancelling out in mikko2 but even with one mic it there is a general scooped sound to it.
I've sent them an example so shall see what they say - probably be something on the line as the are new captures in mikko2.
hmm - that's interesting - I'd be interested to know what their response is on that. I have not upgraded yet as it seemed a bit pricy given I'd already bought a bunch of Mikko1 cabs + I may only use it now outside of Fractal given that I'm really digging the dynacab stuff - but I will likely upgrade at one of their sale events at some point.

So the response I had from ML was they were everything was as it should be. Mikko2 captures are more accurate of how the cab performs.

I guess I'll have to keep working at it to get the sounds I'm after.
I went back to trying some of my Two notes Dyn ir's and was getting some good results.

I will await in anticipation for dynacabs for the FM3

So just to update on this - I had been away and when returning and booting up and using mikko2 I found that everything was sounding great.

I've since moved to a new laptop and so far it still sounding good so not sure what was going on.

Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with ML Sound Lab!

Just wanted to throw out my 2 cents on Mikko 2. I think it's absolutely incredible. A huge timesaver and improvement to my workflow. At first, glance, it seems pricy, but when you consider how many cabs are included and the overall possibilities with this thing, it's a bargain.

I'm a self-confessed IR junkie. I'm sure I've purchased hundreds of thousands of IRs over the past 13 years or so that I've been a Fractal (and other modeling) user, mainly because I simply enjoy chasing tone. The problem is that now I realize more and more that my workflow sucked! How many hours have I wasted auditioning IRs and/or trying to tweak my amps to contend with an IR that wasn't really right in the first place.

Now, I've realized that when I'm crafting a tone, it's so much easier and faster to just adjust the mic and/or mic placement vs tweaking the amp. I barely touch the amp settings now. 95% of the time, what I don't like about a particular tone can be corrected by doing this. For example, let's say you're finding your tone to be a bit harsh. You reach for the presence or treble controls on the amp. Better, but still not right. Chances are, just pulling the mic back from center just a bit would have been the perfect solution. Sure, this can be done with IRs that have already been created, but it takes a lot of trial and error to find the right one. And that perfect spot and/or mic mix may have never been captured in the first place.

Sure, I realize that Fractal has gone down this path as well with Dyna cabs and Cab Lab (and yes, I have purchased a couple of Dyna cab packs) but at this point, and no offense to Fractal, Mikko 2 is really at another level in terms of the interface, number of cabs available, and overall possibilities.

Now I do think there's a caveat. You need to have a decent understanding of cab miking. What do different mics sound like? What do different positions on the cab sound like? What do different speakers/cabs sound like? What is typical for the sounds you strive for? What are some typical techniques? Luckily, I already had a decent understanding of all this. But, there are literally hundreds of free videos out there that explore this subject. IMO, if you're going down the modeling/digital path, you owe it to yourself to educate yourself about it anyway.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm just blown away by how easy it is to get the tones I'm looking for now!

I bought Mikko 2 for 50 % off on black friday. I made several mixes for high gain and finally settled on the Periphery OS Mesa with a kind of Fredman mic technique with 2 57's. Made some refinements over a few days ("oh, it's too bright, I'll just increase the delay on one mic" etc...) and I still use the same IR for everything high gain. Haven't really touched the software since. Which is a good thing, I think? I wish there was more variety instead of 3 million 4x12's, but the Dynacabs on FM3 are working great for cleans and low gain sounds.

It's so much easier to just iterate on a single sound over time than to scroll through a list of IR's and hoping to find what you're looking for.

the problem is that the only things I saw were kind of metal and always the same tones/styles/songs

Anybody tried it with normal plexi crunch/distorted tones?

the problem is that the only things I saw were kind of metal and always the same tones/styles/songs

Anybody tried it with normal plexi crunch/distorted tones?

It comes with 38 cabs. Probably more cabs with Greenbacks than anything else. Even has a 2x12 Bluesbreaker. Tons of options for good Marshall crunch.

How far back can you pull the mic in Mikko2? Lately, I’ve been digging the 1960TV dynacab, ribbon at max distance (24cm) and wondering if this can get me more options for that type of tone.

Back
Top Bottom