Mikko 2

Was looking into whether or not to upgrade as I have and love Mikko1 with a handfull of cab packs. Watched the Mikko2 vid but wasn't too clear on which features are new to Mikko2. Comparing to what I see in Mikko1:
  • New Mikko2 Graphics - shows the actual mic instead of a dot, however with multiple mics I think the dots might be easier for me to see. In normal usage with a couple of mics though, the interface looks much nicer than it did in Mikko1.
  • Different sounds on different sides of the cone equidistant to center - we have that in Mikko1 as far as I can tell, so not sure if this is different in Mikko2 somehow. I'm wondering if new IRs were shot for Mikko2 or is it the same ones as in Mikko1 packs.
  • The mic tilt feature - new in M2 and kind of cool but I'd be interested if this is pulling up different IRs or producing EQ variations of an IR for that mic position.
  • Mixing multiple cabs / mics - exists in Mikko1 - again, not sure if this is different somehow in M2.
  • EQ - we had some EQ capability in Mikko1 but not nearly as detailed as the new EQ in M2 - but anyway, I tend to prefer EQing in Axefx leaving the IR as close as possible to the purely captured mic or mic mix sound only. The EQ graph is bigger which I like. If I would feel the need to bake an EQ into the IR, the new EQ controls in M2 look much improved.
  • Latency control - We have a phase control in Mikko1 - not sure how this is different in M2 but to me, it's at least more logically presented in Mikko2.
  • 9 mics - we had 9 in Mikko1
  • Stereo cab export capability - similar exists also in M1
The biggest change for my usage would be getting all 38 cabs in the purchase price, but I'm on the fence as I had already bought the 6-8 I tend to use. It feels a bit pricy for me given I don't need the additional cabs, but maybe I've been missing out on some good stuff in there + I'm a big fan of the Mikko product overall so I may upgrade anyway but will wait to see more about what Fractal is doing which I think will need to be quite a lot to get ahead of the Mikko product.

Last edited:
I just had a look at the Mikko2 website and the list of cabs.

Oh Man that guy must hate 10-inch speakers!

😢

(there isn't one single 10-inch anything in the list)

I just had a look at the Mikko2 website and the list of cabs.

Oh Man that guy must hate 10-inch speakers!

😢

(there isn't one single 10-inch anything in the list)
I believe Mikko is into harder rock and metal. Not really ever used anymore, 10 inch speakers in that context.

There's a Fender Twin and a Jazz Chorus in there though?
The two most famous clean amps with 12' speakers in the world.

You can try asking him yourself, I'm just taking a guess on why it's not a PRIORITY. Not trying to say he would never do IR's with 10's. He might get to it eventually. Just not top priority or on his mind.

You can try asking him yourself, I'm just taking a guess on why it's not a PRIORITY. Not trying to say he would never do IR's with 10's. He might get to it eventually. Just not top priority or on his mind.

Fair enough! Appreciate your guesses and thoughts on the topic.

I personally like 12s and 10s equally and for different reasons. Lot of great guitar tone history in 10s, but I see what you mean about modern metal etc.

:)

I have Mikko 1 but I think I am passing on this one. There should be a better discount for existing customers. Way too expensive at 199 euros IMO. How many V30 cabs do I need anyways? Out of the 38 cabs I would only use a few so I prefer the one cab at a time purchase method. That’s just me though. In 2019 when I bought Mikko I thought being able to move the mics around was super cool. Now a lot of vendors do it. Then the upgrades and improvements dropped off. BUT, what is cool in Mikko 2 is the ability to apply eq right in the app to customize your IR before exporting. I am on the fence. Everytime I get excited about new IR’s it doesn’t last long and I am back to my favorite York Audio IR’s.

A little dissappointed that some IC info on the cabs is not provided, even if just in writing. I suppose we can maybe figure it out by researching the installed speaker and doing a guesstimate on the cabinet influence but I'd really like to see IR makers get more on board with the whole IC concept and start providing IC spec on cabs they've captured. In Mikko1 there was some Lo/Hi Res controls now removed in Mikko2 so seemingly moving in the opposite direction, but I don't know how accurate those controls were to the specific IR loaded and would only provide the cab 1/2 of the full IC effect anyway so probably made sense to remove it and let users set IC on the Fractal side (if they could know what it is) - but, using Fractal as modeller, and given how important IC has become in the modelling, seems almost essential for IR makers to start documenting IC spec.

I have Mikko 1 but I think I am passing on this one. There should be a better discount for existing customers. Way too expensive at 199 euros IMO. How many V30 cabs do I need anyways? Out of the 38 cabs I would only use a few so I prefer the one cab at a time purchase method. That’s just me though. In 2019 when I bought Mikko I thought being able to move the mics around was super cool. Now a lot of vendors do it. Then the upgrades and improvements dropped off. BUT, what is cool in Mikko 2 is the ability to apply eq right in the app to customize your IR before exporting. I am on the fence. Everytime I get excited about new IR’s it doesn’t last long and I am back to my favorite York Audio IR’s.
I think a good model would be either 1- Mikko Player Free (as it is) and you purchase add on cabs (Like Mikko 1) or a discount for Mikko 1 Users for the base platform AND you get to keep the cabs you already own for Mikko 1.

All I really want is that EQ ability. With the free Mikko 2, I am finally able to dial out that one thing that I have always wrestled with the sound of ML IR's. What I LOVE about the ML stuff is the IR's seem to sound and feel "cleaner" but there has always been this "papery quality" about them but the EQ in Mikklo 2 (while limited) seems to do just what I want and need.

I have thought about an EQ plugin like the Melda Freeform or something that allow for exporting IR's, but I am not sure if the resulting IR's would be as good/clean as exporting from something like Mikko or Libra. I tried a trial of Freeform but got busy and didnt get to try it out so I missed out on that.

I’m disappointed that whatever I do it sounds worse than any IR already in the Axe.

Nothing against Mikko everything against my cab miking abilities

Back
Top Bottom