Mike Stern - Tone

Roberto M

Hi everyone,
I'm a big fan of Mike, I met him a lot of times during concerts in the last years..

I think Mike has a great "stereo clean chorusing sound",

I have tried to emulate his beautiful tone with AX8, (here attached please find .syx file).
I think this preset it is pretty close to the original tone from the album "Odds or Evens". ;)

• Use your neck pick-up (humbucker size suggested..)
  • Don't forget the volume pedal is active in the preset... (open it completely)
  • You can also engage the drive (As Mike usually does ...)
  • There is also a long delay in Y mode (you can try to use it by gently "closing & opening" the volume pedal in order to obtain a "soft attack" very useful for special moments...)
  • PS: use your guitar tone knob in order to get the best result in term of eq. Basically the amount of trebles is related to the pick-up features you are using..
Enjoy yourself...

Attachments

• Odds or Evens - RM.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:
I once briefly got to play his rig when he was sound checking his rig between sets in a club. He wanted to hear how it sounded in the club and somehow he gleaned that I could play, so he asked to play while he walked around. 2 Twin reverbs with Yamaha rack chorus I think. His guitar was so well set and and easy to play. Super full clean. I'm not always a chorus fan, but that's his thing and sounds good when he uses it.

Roberto-Thank you......This preset sounds fabulous with my (Avatar) USA Dlx Strat with fralin pups...Few tweaks for the single coils was all..............

Last edited:
I once briefly got to play his rig when he was sound checking his rig between sets in a club. He wanted to hear how it sounded in the club and somehow he gleaned that I could play, so he asked to play while he walked around. 2 Twin reverbs with Yamaha rack chorus I think. His guitar was so well set and and easy to play. Super full clean. I'm not always a chorus fan, but that's his thing and sounds good when he uses it.
Stern seems to do that a lot..brought my buddy and fellow fractalite Joe Guzzo up so he could hear the FOH, and was (rightfully )complimentary about joes chops. stern is a really good guy.

Upside Downside great 1986 CD :rolleyes:
yet with "Telecaster"
(and was robbed of his guitar :(, Mike Stern),

Thanks Roberto
Great guitarist Mr. Mike Stern :rolleyes:
with rudimentary equipment, it has built its trademark :cool:
http://www.jazzguitar.be/guitar_rig_mike_stern.html

I agree with you, In my opinion Mike has got a great talent and very nice tone. I have been attended of many concerts he did in the last 20 years, and the common sensation was, if you close your eyes, it seem you are listening a CD well relaxed on the sofa......:relaxed:

Thanks for sharing the preset.
I saw Mike play in St.Louis,MO about 5 years ago, or whenever the "Who Let the Cats Out" album was out. He was playing through a pair of Twin Reverbs with a Yamaha SPX90 for the chorus and a Boss DS-1 for some dirt every now and then. I was glad that he didn't use the DS-1 very much. Dave Weckle was on drums and Tom Kennedy on bass. It was a real good show.

Hi everyone,
I'm a big fan of Mike, I met him a lot of times during concerts in the last years..

I think Mike has a great "stereo clean chorusing sound", I love it.. Also Mike's playing is very nice to!

I have tried to emulate his beautiful tone with AX8, I think is pretty close to the original...:)

• Use your neck pick-up (humbucker size suggested..)
  • Don't forget the volume pedal is active in the preset,.turn it completely down...
  • You can also engage the drive (As Mike usually does ...)
  • There is also a long delay in Y mode (you can try to use it by "mouving" the volume pedal in order to create a "soft attack".special moments)+
  • You can find also the "pitch block" setted as OCTAVER (I think the setting is so not perfect, but I need to better understand the capabilities of this block, basically I need more time .....)
PS: I use it with my JS2410,(satch track pick-up , volume knob full opened, tone knob 9 o'clock position..)

Enjoy youself...
thanx man awsome.

Roberto, great job! I am so looking forward to the "new" version of your Mike Stern preset. Your original preset is terrific and I really enjoy using it. I met Mike in NY (used to live there) in 1986 and he was, and still is, a great and unassuming musician with loads of talent and chops. If some of us have not had the good fortune to hear Mike's playing, I highly recommend taking a listen, you won't be disappointed ..... :)

Back
Top Bottom