Mike Stern style

Very nice. Sounds like Mike! I'm curious as to how you managed to get that tone? Any chance you would post the patch?

Good Stern sound. In a fun little bit of concert serendipity I got to play his rig a couple of years ago. He was playing with the Yellowjackets in a club and we were sitting right next to the stage between sets. He was having some rig issues first set and came out to tweak it between sets. I made some joking comment to him about even guitar stars having the same gear issues as other players. About a minute later he comes up to me and asks if I play. I said, "yes," and he hands me his guitar and asks me to play for a bit while he moves around the room to see how it sounds. I was right in front of his rig (2 Twins plus a Yamaha rack box that I'm sure he had set to his normal chorus and also to split his signal to the Twins - plus some drive pedal) and I can tell you it sounded huge 15 feet in front of it. His guitar (the Yamaha tele-like thing) was also set up beautifully and was super easy to play.

Reminded me of a comment I read from John Scofield who talked about the fact that a bunch of the famous jazzish players (Pat Metheny, Bill Frisell, Scofield, Stern and John Abercrombie all come to mind) of his generation used stereo setups which allowed them to pick lighter and to phrase in a more horn-like manner than previous generations as a result. You sure didn't have to play hard to get a full sound out of his setup.

Back
Top Bottom