Migrating from Axe-Fx II to Axe-8

A to the T

Experienced
I was thinking of replacing my Axe FX with an Axe-8 but concerned that I may have regrets. Has anyone done this and been 100% satisfied? I don't own an MFC but have been wanting one forever. So my option is, just buy the MFC or, convert to an Axe-8 and don't look back.

Thoughts, opinions?

thx

I began my life as a Fractalite with the XL II+ and a MFC-101.
1 year later they came out with the AX8.
The AX8 is way more convenient for me.
It doesn't have all the bells and whistles as the XL II+.
I can get by fine with the AX8.
I'm blessed to have both though.

It took a little getting used to the limitations of the AX8 - only one amp block, can't really have a "kitchen sink" preset, tighter CPU limits - but really, I never think about it any more and only take the AX8 with me. I love the convenience of the smaller package.

If carrying less is important to you, I'd say switch. If adding one more thing (the MFC) isn't a problem, then go w/ AFX + MFC. Or if you only play at home/studio, then stay with what you have.

The AX8 does have it's limitations but for all the standard tunes I play it more than covers what I need. The main reason is convenience and one less bag to load and lug.

I also like the flexible assignment of foot switches from preset to preset which is not available with the MFC.

The only thing for me which is making me think I need to use my Axe Fxii again is not being able to switch between a high gain amp and a clean amp and not get the dropout in between. Other than that I find the Ax8 to be very awesome.

I started with AxeFX II XL _ MFC-101, then migrated to Ax8. CPU frustration is real. Do you want quality reverb or a drive block? Can't have both if you also want a pitch block detune to fatten up the sound and a few other things like Delay, Tremolo, Phaser, Rotary (for different scenes). Just too many compromises for me. The low quality reverb with only 2 reflections sounds weak to me- ok for a cheap spring reverb sound but it loses the lushness for richer sounds (in my perception which may have any number of biases and inaccuracies). If you have bare-bones patches and focus on separate Presets more than Scenes, you will probably be fine with Ax8.

Tomorrow I will receive at Strymon BigSky I bought specifically to offload Reverb from Ax8 to make more room to use drive blocks. Even then, I will miss the ability to blend a clean amp and dirty amp tone... but I can probably get creative with using parallel rows or the mix parameter on drive blocks to achieve something similar. I would have gladly directed that money to Fractal if they had a product with Ax8 form factor and more CPU. My goal is to end up with kitchen-sink patches and old-fashioned stomp box method of changing sounds, with physical knobs for minor deep parameter editing (as would be done directly on the stomp pedals). I'm not in a rigid or disciplined environment or dedicating enough time to get my patches 100% dialed before rehearsals or shows. I need to be able to converge on it over time, and have a dead-simple way of tweaking stuff in 2-4 seconds during rehearsals or shows. I can see how the more pro you are, the more your sound setup becomes deterministic, but I'll never be there.

Going forward, I hope they have an Ax8 next-gen with an over-abundance of CPU and fully-assignable endless rotary knobs. In the mean time, I am going to try to hack my own.

I am transitioning now. Other than some initial learning re: CPU limits, it's proven to be perfect for my use. No regrets. And the Axe-Fx II hasn't been turned on in a while. AX8 sounds great, strikes me as a better live rig (the way the switches can be made to work), and is SO portable. Chances are the Axe-Fx will get sold and replaced with a second AX8.

I am transitioning now. Other than some initial learning re: CPU limits, it's proven to be perfect for my use. No regrets. And the Axe-Fx II hasn't been turned on in a while. AX8 sounds great, strikes me as a better live rig (the way the switches can be made to work), and is SO portable. Chances are the Axe-Fx will get sold and replaced with a second AX8.
Glad to hear you're still getting along with the AX8, Greg!

One question: How loud or quiet are the foot switches? I recently had to add a keyboard pedal to my board for tap-tempo function because people were complaining about the loud snap-snap of my MFC-101 switches.

Glad to hear you're still getting along with the AX8, Greg!

One question: How loud or quiet are the foot switches? I recently had to add a keyboard pedal to my board for tap-tempo function because people were complaining about the loud snap-snap of my MFC-101 switches.
Wow, you guys must play really quiet for a footswitch to be heard. I could scream bloody murder and no one would ever know it while I play in my band. Are you a solo act? First generation MFC's are more snappy and loud while the newer ones are soft and quiet and the Ax8 seems like the switches are quiet as well.

Wow, you guys must play really quiet for a footswitch to be heard. I could scream bloody murder and no one would ever know it while I play in my band. Are you a solo act? First generation MFC's are more snappy and loud while the newer ones are soft and quiet and the Ax8 seems like the switches are quiet as well.
We play at about 94db at full tilt. At that volume it's not a problem, but sometimes we might start a song with just vocals, light cymbals to keep time, and me.

Back
Top Bottom