[Might be solved] Strange problem - Wah block seems to kill Output randomly

chucma

Fractal Fanatic
I've been getting this odd behaviour for a long time now, but it has been random and very difficult for me to recreate/explain. The short summary is I'll be using the Wah block on any preset and after a couple of minutes of wah noodling suddenly my AxeFX output drops almost completely (you can only just hear a very faint signal coming through my CLRs but it is barely audible). When I restart the AxeFX then the preset works fine again.

This only seems to happen a few minutes after using the wah block, and does not happen every time I use it.

The steps I took this morning when this happened was (after booting everything up from scratch):
1) Opened up factory preset 'Jumped Plexi' which only has one scene
2) Made some tweaks to scene 2 and 3, which included changing amp channels C & D, and adding a looper and I think I changed the drive type on drive block channels C & D as well
3) After about 30 mins of playing in Scene 3, I added a wah block with defaults (Clyde) and the only change I made was add a modifier to the Control parameter (Source = External 1, Auto Engage = Fast Pos)
4) Noodled using my wah for probably around 5-10mins and suddenly the sound disappears whilst I'm doing a wah sweep (i.e. using the wah)

As mentioned, this does not happen all the time, but has been going on for at least the better part of a year and probably only maybe once a month so I wasn't really worried about reporting it. When it happens, the output Leds on the AxeFX show no signal, I created a short video of that where you can hear me strumming my guitar and see the front panel:
Strange ouput drop

My setup is:
AxeFXIII with FW12.14
AxeEdit 1.06.03
MacBook Pro (10.15.5)
RJM GT22 (4.4.1) with 6 pin XLR connecting it to the AxeFX using RJMs MIDI box
External 1 is a spring loaded Mission (the red one)

I have attached the preset and my system setup, there are no global blocks and the only modifier in the preset is that wah control one.

Also, I am open to suggestions to check my GT22 setup, I have checked it but I cannot see anything on that which could cause this. Luckily this has not happened live yet (I play live nearly every week before the lockdown) but I have probably just been lucky.

Anyway, hope I have given enough info and you guys can have a look.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Jumped Plexi.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 200719-092746-system+gb+fc.syx
    192.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I haven't looked at the preset. Does the volume correct itself if you switch presets? If not, is is possible you have something mapped to either the global input or outputs in the Midi/Remote Menu?

I haven't looked at the preset. Does the volume correct itself if you switch presets? If not, is is possible you have something mapped to either the global input or outputs in the Midi/Remote Menu?

Good point, but no it doesn't correct if you change presets. The only thing that brings it back is restarting the Axe3.

I have a suspicion that even if you tried the preset then you won't get the same issue, but thought I would try here anyway.

You might be onto something here, I actually did have Output 1 and 2 mapped to CC3 so that I could use a global volume boost on my GT22. No idea if this is the culprit as I cannot see it being used anywhere else, but I have removed that mapping so will do some extensive wah playing for the next few days to see if the issues comes back again.

Thanks for the excellent suggestion!

I download your preset and played with it for a little bit, wah and all: everything seems to be working fine. I'm using a Axe Fx III and a FC-12

Thanks @6L6C ! Biskitboy might have found the cause which might be the global mapping. I’ve made a change and am going to be testing it over the next few days.

Thanks for helping out!

Back
Top Bottom