Might be moving

A last minute change in location it now looks to be located in Corsicana some 55 miles south of down town Dallas.

I have been checking out and calling realtors looking for something descent in the surrounding area which is not that great. I liked it better when the local was closer to Austin.

I have been checking out and calling realtors looking for something descent in the surrounding area which is not that great. I liked it better when the local was closer to Austin.

You went from living in Austin (great) to New Braunfels (good, close enough to great) to an hour south of Dallas (not so great). I feel for your trajectory.

Oh man, I feel for you. The thought of moving from WA to TX just makes me cringe! No offense to any Texans on the board! :) Strictly a matter of personal preference.

I live in WA and I liked it in TX. Everything is 1.5x bigger than here. WA looks like Canada when you come back from there. Narrow roads, tiny places, Priuses everywhere.

LOL, the distance between Austin/Seguin and Corsicana is greater than the width of some of the New England states. I am a native Texan and biased but I think you are going to love it here. By and large, people are friendly and courteous. Men still pull over to change tires and open doors for women. In most neighborhoods, people will look out for each other. You can usually get smiles from store clerks and wait staff. Texas has not suffered from the recession nearly as much as other states. Restaurants and shopping malls are packed. Jobs can be had. Except for Austin, it is a very conservative state so that may be good or bad depending on your politics. We like our guns. As mentioned above, there is no state income tax. The downside to that is property taxes can be higher than other states so if you are buying a house be sure to ask what the average taxes are and build that into your plan. You can get a lot of house for your money compared to other states. Quality of life is excellent. Access to medical care is excellent. Quality of education varies by school district so you are wise to check into which school districts are the best in the area in which you will be living. Fall doesn't arrive until late October and winter is short. Summer is HOT.

I play in Vegas and meet people from all over the world. I have to say that each and every person I have ever met from Texas was ultra super cool. Extremely friendly and generous. Nothing phoney baloney about it either. You can tell they are genuine. I know I can't draw sweeping conclusions from this, but my personal experience with Texans has been nothing but great.

You went from living in Austin (great) to New Braunfels (good, close enough to great) to an hour south of Dallas (not so great). I feel for your trajectory.

I know... it was a bit confusing for me as well. The pay day on this is what's going to make it worth it. Even if that doesn't come to play the monthly income on this job will put me back where I was pre economy crash which is good enough for me.

You will get more for your money in TX, a guy from CA told me my 200k house would go for a million in CA.
TX wont rape you with taxes, even though the fed still govt does.
Secede!!

Last edited:
I live in WA and I liked it in TX. Everything is 1.5x bigger than here. WA looks like Canada when you come back from there. Narrow roads, tiny places, Priuses everywhere.

You've obviously not been on the 401 through Toronto in rush hour. 18 lanes bumper to bumper.

And I get upset when a deer runs out in front of my truck,...good perspective!

I had a herd of Elk (20 or so) cross in front of my truck on the I 90, not a fun thing to have happen. We find the cows on the side of the road from time to time. I'm also a volunteer fire fighter and went out on a call were a car and an Elk went head to head. It was not pretty for ether partie though the occupant lived the Elk did not.

I live NW of SA. My bro-in-law lives in Sequin. Anywhere outside that area (like SA) Your looking at a commute. My bro-in-law drives nearly an hour to get to 281/1604 (North San Antonio)
There is a toll highway just outside of Sequin that will take you to Austin. (We call it the Autobahn)
Look at Marion Texas and New Braunfels. NB is about 14 miles West of there. You also got the Guadalupe River in the area for some great toooobin.

Please don't judge Texas by 6th Street in Austin! It is as close to Hollywood & Vine in Los Angeles as anywhere in the World and completely different than that everywhere else in Texas.

Back
Top Bottom