Midlife Crisis Car

Midlife Crisis Car:

• Total voters
I went to check out a Tesla Model S. It is not designed for big people. I'm 6'2 and never thought my shoulders were super broad but apparently they are according to Tesla. Sitting centered in the seat, my left shoulder was pushed against the door. And I had to move the seat all the way back to for my legs to be comfortable - only a little kid would be able to fit in the back seat.

6'2" is not "Hightower" though. I'm also 6'2", and have longer torso to boot. It's a real challenge to find a sedan where I don't bump into the ceiling with the seat all the way down. I kinda wonder what pro basketball players do in this situation.

6'2" is not "Hightower" though. I'm also 6'2", and have longer torso to boot. It's a real challenge to find a sedan where I don't bump into the ceiling with the seat all the way down. I kinda wonder what pro basketball players do in this situation.
I've worked in the past with a few guys that were 6'5"+ and they all drove mid to late '80s Corvettes.

The '84 I drove a couple times in the late 80s had a LOT of leg and head room to me... But I'm just under 6'.

I went this route:

FERRARI-348-Spider-1070_20.jpeg

If its a 2016'sh car that still fits the bill, your best bang for your buck is going to be a 2016 or even a '14 and '15 C7 Corvette; I have a 2015 3LT Z51 in the garage and love it....its a rocket also...it may lose to a Tesla off the line, but then it doesn't sound or feel like a Tesla either....the interior is beautiful and rivals any Porsche or Audi, or your other choices of a Tesla or Camaro.... fair warning that I'm slightly biased as I've also still got a 2000 C5 Corvette that has 214K on it and still is my 'gig car' due to the ample room in the back being a hatchback, great freeway mileage, and great sound system.....one thing in your favor if you are leaning this way; The C7's may take it hit on resale values which could help you even more as soon as the C8 is revealed on 7/18/19.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/a29781/mid-engine-corvette-2018-rumors/

If its a 2016'sh car that still fits the bill, your best bang for your buck is going to be a 2016 or even a '14 and '15 C7 Corvette; I have a 2015 3LT Z51 in the garage and love it....its a rocket also...it may lose to a Tesla off the line, but then it doesn't sound or feel like a Tesla either....the interior is beautiful and rivals any Porsche or Audi, or your other choices of a Tesla or Camaro.... fair warning that I'm slightly biased as I've also still got a 2000 C5 Corvette that has 214K on it and still is my 'gig car' due to the ample room in the back being a hatchback, great freeway mileage, and great sound system.....one thing in your favor if you are leaning this way; The C7's may take it hit on resale values which could help you even more as soon as the C8 is revealed on 7/18/19.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/a29781/mid-engine-corvette-2018-rumors/

I have a 2016 Z06, married, no gold chain. Not a midlife crisis unless it last for 20 years... my car before this, 2011 Camaro SS. Car before that 99 Mustang. I bought a Tundra while I had the stang and my truck is still my daily driver. But the Z06 puts a smile on my face. Anyone ever broke the rear tires loose doing 70 on the freeway when they punch it? It's some scary $hit! But holly cow 0-60 in 2.9 seconds is amazing.

Reactions: GBM
So the jury returned with a verdict, and it's a new Model 3! The car is beautiful and just amazing to drive - definitely checks the "fun" box. And no gold chain & pot belly here!
Very nice! Congrats! Go smoke some tuned Hondas off the line now? :)

Dont sleep on a nissan 370z

I second this. I picked up a 370 touring/sport 6MT and it's a ton of fun for the money. Maintenance costs aren't nearly as high as other cars mentioned in this thread either. Performance parts are definitely pricey but it's not tough at all for the weekend warrior to get one of these above 400hp. I was originally looking to pick up an S2000 and do a full engine rebuild, but I'm glad I went with the 370. I'll probably end up getting another in the future... unless I can afford a GTR at that time :)

Very nice. A friend of mine got an i3 recently and while in my opinion it might be the ugliest car I’ve ever see (after the Pontiac aztec), the instant torque of an e drive vehicle is very addictive. Enjoy!

Corvettes just scream "mid-life crisis". When I think of a new Corvette I think of some guy who just got divorced and wearing a gold chain over his pot belly.

I think the Camaro actually looks better but all GMs have crappy interiors and poor handling. German cars are better but more expensive.

Have to completely disagree, a newer Corvette is my next "fun" car and it has to be a convertible. For the Camaros or Mustangs, one of those would have to be 1970 or older for me... (Mach 1 or SS)

I will also pick the fit, finish, and reliability of my Lexus GX470 any day over the German/European cars that suddenly have an $800 so-and-so sensor that needs to be replaced regularly out of the blue... Been there, done that, and won't return there, except would maybe try a Porsche one day. Teslas are also not my cup of tea.

At 6'4'', a Vette is one of the few sports cars I will fit in. No gold chain, divorce, or pot belly to report, so I think I'll be ok!

Last edited:
Have to completely disagree, a newer Corvette is my next "fun" car and it has to be a convertible - bad ass! I do view the newer Camaros or Mustangs as a little more "redneck", one of those would have to be 1970 or older... (Mach 1 or SS)

I will also pick the fit, finish, and reliability of my Lexus GX470 any day over the German/European cars that suddenly have an $800 so-and-so sensor that needs to be replaced regularly out of the blue... Been there, done that, and won't return there, except would maybe try a Porsche one day. Teslas are also not my cup of tea.

At 6'4'', a Vette is one of the few sports cars I will fit in. No gold chain, divorce, or pot belly to report, so I think I'll be ok!

I ain't no redneck! :D
I voted camaro, but it doesn't really count because mine wasn't a mid-life crisis sorta thing. Just wanted a nice looking car.

Have to completely disagree, a newer Corvette is my next "fun" car and it has to be a convertible. For the Camaros or Mustangs, one of those would have to be 1970 or older for me... (Mach 1 or SS)

Are you going to hold out for a new mid engine vette? It will be revealed on 7.18.19

Are you going to hold out for a new mid engine vette? It will be revealed on 7.18.19

I will certainly wait to see... Not in a rush by any stretch. I won't go older than the C6, and love the round tail lights on those. The C7s were a little too "Batmobile" looking for me when they first came out, but have grown on me a bit. Certainly interested to see what 07.18.19 brings! :smiley:

Superformace Shelby Cobra.

A motorcycle is unfortunately out of the picture. It's not safe. Therefore. It would need to be a convertible.

The motor.... is up to you

Back
Top Bottom