Midlife Crisis Car

Midlife Crisis Car:

• Total voters
I'm test driving a M3 tomorrow after concluding a used S and a new M3 are about the same price. Def leaning Tesla at the moment. But I may bail out of all of them and get a new Grand Cherokee as the roads hear are so bad!

Maybe test a X3/5 M.

My midlife crisis car is a X3 M40i. I really love it :)

I'm in my mid-late 20s and am debating buying a 718... I enjoy driving stick and have done so for nearly a decade and want to get while the getting's good, i.e. before we have to pay for the luxury of owning self-driving electric taxis that serve us ads on our way to work. Unfortunately a Porsche purchase would mean having a mortgage-sized car payment and having to buy a second vehicle to be able to haul my gear around. I have a 'yota 86 which is essentially the broke-boy Cayman and it serves me very well, especially considering that I can fit three guitars and a PA in it with some judicious trunk Tetris, but it does lack a bit in power and interior quality.

This reads like you'd be spending thousands a month to bankroll a 718. That's...just dumb. There'll be plenty of time for sports cars when you can afford them. And plenty of fine, used, manual tranmission 718s around when you can.

Don't rush a sports car. It can be financial suicide if you're not ready for it.
And, I'm just going to be that guy - if you're going to stress yourself financially for a car (which you shouldn't), the 718 is so completely not worth being that car. It's not that there's anything wrong with a 718, but if a car is going to be that big a part of your life it should be something special. Not the entry level one popular with badge shoppers.

Reactions: ESW
A black Corvette with red interior and complete with side pipes was the first car that I fell in love with when I was a little kid back in the seventies.
Later on I drove a bunch of Chevy's - Chevy van and a couple of Suburbans)
But the one I swore I would get before I die was a '76 El Camino:
1976-chevrolet-el-camino-pro-touring-400hp-ls2-engine-4l60e-transmission-an-ac-6.JPG

I'm test driving a M3 tomorrow after concluding a used S and a new M3 are about the same price. Def leaning Tesla at the moment. But I may bail out of all of them and get a new Grand Cherokee as the roads hear are so bad!
As a 2015 Grand Cherokee Altitude owner, I approve. I'm keeping mine until 2027, then I'm getting a Bollinger B1.

sd-aspect-1507647578-b4.jpg

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/hybrid-electric/a28365/electric-truck/

Since that article, they've moved from Hobart to Detroit and they've been ramping up on supply side, production design and all that. It's gonna be a real thing.

(actually I'd probably keep the GC since it'll be 12 years old and have no trade-in value left in it anyway).

As a 2015 Grand Cherokee Altitude owner, I approve. I'm keeping mine until 2027, then I'm getting a Bollinger B1.

(actually I'd probably keep the GC since it'll be 12 years old and have no trade-in value left in it anyway).

I drove the Performance Model 3 today, and it is impressive and super fast. Girlfriend screamed when I stomped the gas. . . er, battery pedal. And that's really what I'm looking for in a fun car. . . :;)

In these things it's not current per se, but duty cycle. Electric current is too wasteful to regulate, but if you keep switching a MOSFET on and off really fast, very little energy is lost, and the result is the same: power delivery goes up or down

In these things it's not current per se, but duty cycle. Electric current is too wasteful to regulate, but if you keep switching a MOSFET on and off really fast, very little energy is lost, and the result is the same: power delivery goes up or down

Pulse Width Modulation (PWM). Ultimately, it’s still current that makes the electric motor go around. :)

then I'm getting a Bollinger B1.

Since that article, they've moved from Hobart to Detroit and they've been ramping up on supply side, production design and all that. It's gonna be a real thing.

Fingers crossed, anyway. I got on the list the first day. They were supposed to be in production by now, but I figure it's going to be at least another couple of years before anything rolls off the assembly line.

If you can comfortably make the payments on a 718 Cayman S, then have at it. You made it sound like you were playing "house or car" and it better be one hell of a car for that game.

I don't understand your comment about waiting and missing the boat, though @MoJiggity.

Nice! But I will see your 70 1/2 and raise you a 69 RS! I love these year cars the only body years that look like a hot rod. To me these cars always get respect even if your not a Chevy fan.

DXuUeGk.jpg

DXuUeGk
No denying the pedigree of the 1st gen camaros! That’s probably what I would choose if not for the personal history I have with the 70 1/2.

Car problems ?? what are those ? I'm 48 and have had 3 cars in my life - all Toyotas - a Tacoma, 4runner and now an FJ. The only thing I have ever done to them is put oil in them - that's it. Is it the best looking most stylish vehicle? no... Is it the fastest? no... does it handle great? no... does it have fine Corinthian leather and a birdseye maple steering wheel ? no...
BUT - it runs forever and can run over shit...
My wife on the other hand is a car snob - she has a 2016 Audi A4 now - only 20000 miles on it - needed a tow after stalling out after 12k miles due to a faulty valve. At 18k, needed a whole new antenna setup for gps/Sirius radio. Luckily under warranty. Prior to that she had a BMW - theres not enough room here for all the issues it had. I don't understand why the Germans make such great driving cars - but just can't get the reliability thing down...

If you can comfortably make the payments on a 718 Cayman S, then have at it. You made it sound like you were playing "house or car" and it better be one hell of a car for that game.
That's how I read it as well. Either or.

Since the thread has moved onto older cars, I wish BMW would re-issue Z8. I mean, just look at this thing:
bmwz801_750_500_70.jpg

Looks as fresh today as when it first came out, costs more than it did brand new. Even nicer in person, last time I saw one was in Zurich about a year ago. The only car that gives me a real car boner. I'm not a "car" person per se.

Since the thread has moved onto older cars, I wish BMW would re-issue Z8. I mean, just look at this thing:
bmwz801_750_500_70.jpg

Looks as fresh today as when it first came out, costs more than it did brand new. Even nicer in person, last time I saw one was in Zurich about a year ago. The only car that gives me a real car boner. I'm not a "car" person per se.
Reminds me of the Z4 commercial referencing the SNL skit:

I went to check out a Tesla Model S. It is not designed for big people. I'm 6'2 and never thought my shoulders were super broad but apparently they are according to Tesla. Sitting centered in the seat, my left shoulder was pushed against the door. And I had to move the seat all the way back to for my legs to be comfortable - only a little kid would be able to fit in the back seat. Otherwise, the car is really impressive. Bizarre door handles though - not sure they're a winner.

Back
Top Bottom