Midlife Crisis Car

Midlife Crisis Car:

• Total voters
OP, if it's a real mid-life crisis then your options are basically muscle cars. Surprised no one's mentioned a mustang GT given where you live.

Now if you just want an awesome vehicle, that seems like a new thread haha.

Tesla is way more fun.

It will get fully autonomous this year.

It parks for you, it will pick you up, it saves your life by recognizing collision and preventing it. Even if the collision is 2 cars ahead.
Comfortable, great sounds system.

I had bme 550 gt before. I have a Tesla 3, dual motor, now. Way more fun.

And it's quick.

No gas, no oil, no leaking.

In case you want one. You can use my referral code to get 5,000 free Supercharger miles on a new Tesla: https://ts.la/levente42835

I saw that "summons" feature on the website and laughed out loud! I'm leaning towards Tesla at the moment - gonna drive a bud's later this week and that may seal my fate. . .

OP, if it's a real mid-life crisis then your options are basically muscle cars. Surprised no one's mentioned a mustang GT given where you live.

Yeah, they're everywhere here. . . certainly not unique, and I don't love the styling.

Now a Ford GT on the other hand. . . :)

Pretty sure Roadster2 will beat every other car between 60 and 120 as well. Huge and lumbering Model S nearly does that already. Electric motors just have much more even torque throughout the range, and more of it overall.

...That said, my midlife vehicle is my Jeep Wrangler. I've never had more fun in anything. It's been lifted, modified, big tires, and will go everywhere I point it. I take the top and doors off when I feel like it. I love the damn thing, and it never fails to put a smile on my face. Some of it can be where I live too. I go out to desert in it, camp with it, rock crawling in the mountains, drive it on the beach (Pismo), and use it for everything. They will suck your wallet dry if you let them, and I've spent way too much guitar money on it, but I wouldn't get rid of it for anything.

I had an '87 Wrangler ragtop, pretty much stock, and I loved it. I was a construction inspector at the time, and it was a perfect vehicle for that. I called it my urban assault vehicle. I spent a lot of time chasing hot-air balloons and playing in the mountains with it too, and it was great off road. I eventually traded it in on a full-sized Bronco, because I stared working on a project that required lots of highway miles every week. The soft top on the Jeep was annoyingly noisy at highway speeds. I got most of the 4-wheeling out of my system out of my system in my 20s and 30s, so now the 4Runner Limited is a better fit for my needs.

Corvettes just scream "mid-life crisis". When I think of a new Corvette I think of some guy who just got divorced and wearing a gold chain over his pot belly.

Thanks for the real-life imagery, I know 3 individuals immediately when you stated this.

However.... The performance and overall handling of the modern Corvette is still one of the highest acquirable within the marketplace. This video does a decent objective overview:

Just sayin'...

I have ridden in the Cayenne GTS and you're totally right, it is a sleeper, performance dragster... Throws you back while you're smiling ear to ear.

Reactions: GBM
You should see what it's like working for the man... SpaceX, worst job I ever had in my entire 35+ year career
Since I can't stand any personality cult: A medium post (Or lounge..) on your experience for my own edification ?

Since I can't stand any personality cult: A medium post (Or lounge..) on your experience for my own edification ?

They advertised for a need for a Metrology Engineer in order to bring their calibration lab up to ISO 17025 and ANSI-Z540.3 Standard compliance (not accredited per se but compliant).I was sold on a job, Metrology Engineer, went through 5 interviews (toughest in my career), and got the job. Although I did learn to step WAY outside my comfort zone, it was one of the biggest regrets of my life.

Firstly, any quality program, especially one which the primary focus is rocket science, relies heavily on quality data. Know how much data they had regarding their measurement assurance program? ZERO. They took no data except for the National Instrument DAQ cards – and the only reason data was available was because they purchased a system that captured “as-found,” aligned if necessary, then performed “as-left” data. Everything else was treated like “she glows, she goes” meaning it gets a new calibration label with no accompanying data. So why is this important? When a rocket explodes, and they always do (it’s not a matter of “if” but a matter of “when”), EVERYTHING used in the construction of that rocket, recorded in configuration management, is subject to scrutiny… EVERYTHING… right down to the last torque wrench or micrometer to determine if an Out of Tolerance (OOT) condition of the instrument contributed to the explosion. You can’t do root cause analysis without proper data. This was something that Elon felt slowed things down....taking data.

The reason their rockets are cheaper is BECAUSE they take a lot of shortcuts that the ULA’s and NASA’s of this world don’t.

There is a very high attrition rate due to burnout factor because of the incredible long hours you’re expected to put in. It isn’t uncommon to put in over 85 hours per week. And I was expected to answer my phone and email 24/7.

They have forced performance ranking. You are either “Leading the way, consistently strong, or lagging behind.” We were told we WILL put our peeps in the third category. Consequently, anyone put into the 3rd category was fired within 6 months. They call the state of CA and explain they are having a layoff consisting of greater than 10% of their workforce so they don’t get sued (they did the year I worked there) for not notifying the peeps they are getting canned.

They have a thing called the “Iron Maiden” (no shit, it’s real) which is a cable harness system hooked up to multiple Flight Data Computers/Recorders (FRD's). The objective is to test the FDR’s and the cable harness for flight, so the system thinks it flying a rocket. If you’ve never been around FDR’s, they consume a lot of power and produce a lot of heat. Elon was in avionics taking to one of the chief HW engineers and said “sure would be nice to get the size of these FDR’s down to the size and power consumption of an iPad. The engineer kinda laughed and said “not with today’s technology, it’s just not possible yet.” Elon fired him on the spot.

On the positive side, their Christmas parties are legendary, I have video…. and I stayed long enough to get 20% of my stock options which played out to about $135k

Is that enough inside information?

Last edited:
@stink

Cliff in 2005: "It would be nice to have size a 2-3 u rack size unit, that can accurately emulate hundreds of amps and effects".
The engineer kinda laughed and said “not with today’s technology, it’s just not possible yet.”

Cliff: " Yeah, you really valuable to the company! Here is a raise!"

@stink

Cliff in 2005: "It would be nice to have size a 2-3 u rack size unit, that can accurately emulate hundreds of amps and effects".
The engineer kinda laughed and said “not with today’s technology, it’s just not possible yet.”

Cliff: " Yeah, you really valuable to the company! Here is a raise!"
Ever actually been around a flight data computer? If you did, you'd get my reference. FWIW, they have been trying to minimize the size and energy consumption for decades, the technology still isn't there yet. FDC's and FDR's are SIGNIFICANTLY more complex than a guitar preamp...sorry, don't buy it.

I test drove some newer BMWs one day at a big tent event. They still handle well, and some go like stink, but the quality of the interiors has really dropped off. For what they cost, it should be nicer, or at least more durable. A lot of the cars I looked at were 1-3 years old, and looked 10 on the inside. Seats were worn, button on the steering wheel had the lettering worn off, dash looked rough. It really is like they just design them to last 3 years, and no more. I think the early 2000s I've sat in have held up better.

I had the same experience. I had BMWs from the early 90s to early 00s and loved them, but the fit and finish on the newer model interiors was really disappointing. I ended up getting an Audi.

Back
Top Bottom