Midlife Crisis Car

Midlife Crisis Car:

• Total voters
My midlife crisis purchase was an Axe-Fx II.

Get a pimped Jeep but do all the work yourself. you can crawl over those german cars at the mall.

Or pimp out a 4Runner so you can offer the Jeep guys a tow when their rides break down at the mall. :p

Love my T4R Limited. It's not real peppy but it's reliable, comfortable, and will go pretty much anywhere I want to go. Handy for hauling band gear to gigs, too.

I’m kinda disappointed by “German quality” tbh. My 535 has seen 3 different recalls already and the driver’s door handle can no longer reliably open the door (electronic lock works fine) and the dealer says it’s $800 to fix. A fucking headlight is $2k. Plus it depreciated so rapidly that my wife’s Subaru Outback is now more expensive per KBB. It’s fun to drive, though, there’s no denying that, but in this price segment there are plenty of domestic cars that are fun to drive. If I were experiencing a midlife crisis, I’d get me one of those 700hp+ domestics that have started appearing in the last few years. I practically know they’ll be illegal in 10-15 years, so it’s be good to experience the greatness before it’s gone. Liberty, guns, fast cars, rock and roll, good ol’ US of A, medium rare steaks, 30 - 40 years from now people will be looking at our time as the golden age for something or other I’m sure, much like today we look wistfully at the wild 60’s that we weren’t able to experience ourselves and can only see and hear in recordings.

That's the car my mother drove (when I hadn't "borrowed" it) in my high school years. Very light and fast! I caved in the two left side wheels when I slid out and hit a curb my junior year. Pops wasn't at all amused. :D
When I was 14, my friends and I used to drool over that car in SuperChevy magazine. Low and behold one day, here comes the kid across the street rumbling into his driveway in one! Black with white stripes, 365 horse LT-1, Muncie 4 spd, 4.11 gears......man we all about fainted! lol What a cool car!

Corvettes just scream "mid-life crisis". When I think of a new Corvette I think of some guy who just got divorced and wearing a gold chain over his pot belly.

Let's see. . . divorced (check!). . . . silver chain (check!). . . but no pot belly, so maybe there's hope. Agreed that the 'vette is the poster-car for mid-life crisis.

The camaro's do look sharp. . .

Dont sleep on a nissan 370zx or what I bo
Midlife Crisis Car

ught and amazing bang for buck, higher end interior etc, with same engine a pre 2015 infinity g37 mine :
images

Less expansive, take a look at the X3 M40i.

Sharp! Might be added to the list. . .

I don't know about Detroit, but in the SF Bay area it was amusing to listen to the BMW and Mercedes drivers complain about the entitled douchey Tesla drivers. #classwars

Not many Tesla's in Detroit, so it would be unique. We do have an epidemic of pick-up trucks however. I think they're giving away Ram 1500's with purchase of a happy meal. And they're typically super polite drivers. . .

I like a lot of the cars listed here, and others. I definitely have had the need for speed in my life, that I mostly fulfilled with motorcycles, track days, etc. Way cheaper than trying to do the same on four wheels.

That said, my midlife vehicle is my Jeep Wrangler. I've never had more fun in anything. It's been lifted, modified, big tires, and will go everywhere I point it. I take the top and doors off when I feel like it. I love the damn thing, and it never fails to put a smile on my face. Some of it can be where I live too. I go out to desert in it, camp with it, rock crawling in the mountains, drive it on the beach (Pismo), and use it for everything. They will suck your wallet dry if you let them, and I've spent way too much guitar money on it, but I wouldn't get rid of it for anything.

Nice - that one's a bit north of my budget, but maybe a trade up eventually. :)

Sounds like neither are closer to one than each other - ah well, glad to be in the same boat!

I’ve driven a couple GTSs and they are fantastic. My current car which I’ve had for 10 years is a 997 4S Targa. The level of progress between my car and the 991 GTS is breathtaking - refinement AND performance. It’s acceleration feels 30-40% faster. Much to like!

Let’s keep on saving / dreaming (delete as appropriate)

Maybe because I'm past mid-life I'll have to vote none-of-the-above.

Also, I have two pro mechanic drinking buddies who have told me enough stories about European car problems and repairs that I'm pretty much scared off of any of them.

I’m kinda disappointed by “German quality” tbh. My 535 has seen 3 different recalls already and the driver’s door handle can no longer reliably open the door (electronic lock works fine) and the dealer says it’s $800 to fix. A fucking headlight is $2k. Plus it depreciated so rapidly that my wife’s Subaru Outback is now more expensive per KBB. It’s fun to drive, though, there’s no denying that, but in this price segment there are plenty of domestic cars that are fun to drive. If I were experiencing a midlife crisis, I’d get me one of those 700hp+ domestics that have started appearing in the last few years. I practically know they’ll be illegal in 10-15 years, so it’s be good to experience the greatness before it’s gone. Liberty, guns, fast cars, rock and roll, good ol’ US of A, medium rare steaks, 30 - 40 years from now people will be looking at our time as the golden age for something or other I’m sure, much like today we look wistfully at the wild 60’s that we weren’t able to experience ourselves and can only see and hear in recordings.

I actually work for a BMW Dealer and this is spot on, I have seen so many issues with these cars its not even funny and not even the older ones im talking brand new cars that have issues before they even leave the lot. I remember when I got the job thinking wow here's this prestigious German car and in a week that image was shattered lol. But I get a nice commission check every month from selling the parts so that's a good thing.

I actually work for a BMW Dealer and this is spot on, I have seen so many issues with these cars its not even funny and not even the older ones im talking brand new cars that have issues before they even leave the lot. I remember when I got the job thinking wow here's this prestigious German car and in a week that image was shattered lol. But I get a nice commission check every month from selling the parts so that's a good thing.

Good to know.

Just one data point, but my '17 Audi has been flawless. Interior build quality slightly lower than the '04 I was familiar with, but no mechanical issues at all.

Back
Top Bottom