MIDI vs EtherCon vs FASLink

kartman

Inspired
Sorry... I suspect this has been covered but I didn't turn anything up on search.

I have an XL and a MkIII MFC. This gives me all 3 options for connecting the MFC and the AxeFx but I'm wondering if there is any advantage to one over the others. From what I've read, "standard XLR" seems to be the big one for FASLink. Any other factors to consider when choosing?

Thanx.

all 3 give the same communication speed and features. FASlink is a great choice because it is a standard XLR cable which is strong, and has locking connectors on both ends, also powers the MFC (no need to use the adaptor). Ethernet also powers the MFC, but is a weak connector due to all the pins - if just one gets bent, the whole thing doesn't work. MIDI is an old standard, but requires the use of the Power Adaptor either on the MFC itself, or plugged into the Phantom Power Jack on the Axe.

i'd choose FASlink since you have it. again, do not use the power adaptor when using FASlink (or ethernet).

What are everyone's preference with a mk1, ie no FASlink option? Instead it's:
1. Ethernet
2. 5 pin midi, with power supply on the floor board
3. 7 pin midi, with power supply plugged into the Axe FX

1. Ethernet
ethernet always worked fine for me, but it is very easy to bend a pin and malfunction. so i always kept the power supply and 7 pin cable in my bag as a backup. never needed to use it. but always good to have.

therefore, my real answer is 7-pin Midi with power supply.

7 pin's the conclusion I'd come to, rather reluctantly because I didn't want to add any more weight to my rack case.

all 3 give the same communication speed and features. FASlink is a great choice because it is a standard XLR cable which is strong, and has locking connectors on both ends, also powers the MFC (no need to use the adaptor). Ethernet also powers the MFC, but is a weak connector due to all the pins - if just one gets bent, the whole thing doesn't work. MIDI is an old standard, but requires the use of the Power Adaptor either on the MFC itself, or plugged into the Phantom Power Jack on the Axe.

i'd choose FASlink since you have it. again, do not use the power adaptor when using FASlink (or ethernet).
+1

1. Ethernet
Have both ready. MIDI cables are more robust simply because of the physical characteristics of the connectors. You need 7-pin MIDI cables to provide phantom power to the MFC-101, *AND* the MFC-101 wall-wart plugged into the rear of the Axe-Fx. RJ-45/twisted-pair cables do away with the need for the wall-wart but the RJ-45/Ethercon/twisted-pair connectors are less robust and if you're plugging and un-plugging often they'll fail long before the MIDI connectors. I'd go with the 5-pin MIDI, for reliability and 5-pin MIDI cables you can find anywhere. If you're on the road and a 7-pin cable fails its not so easy to replace. Regardless of which cable solution you choose, buy the best quality cable you can afford. Go FASLINK if you can. If not, go 7-pin MIDI with at least 1 backup cable :)

That was my assumption. Thanx for confirming there was nothing performance or feature related when choosing FASLink versus EtherCon. I was not interested in MIDI due to the need for external MFC power.

FASLink, it is! :)

Cheers!

Initially I went the Ethercon route. It's not quite true that these cables and connectors aren't robust. There are professional tour grade Ethercon cables that have locking connectors and everything required for professional use.

The advantage is that no idiot will ever plug it into a wrong socket. I've had bad experience with people replugging my equipment which I had to leave on stage.

However, I now use FASLink. The reason is that those professional Ethercon cables were rather rigid and heavy. Yes, for a 30 foot cable that makes a difference.

I started with ethernet, but the cables were always iffy and a cause for concern. I've settled for 7 pin MIDI with the power supply into the AxeFx. I'm using a MFC mk1.

I work in networking so I know how to tip ethernet cables. I actually love that the MFC can use ethernet. I carry an extra one with me, but if the tip breaks it is really easy to add a new one. But if I had a faslink connection, I would prolly use that.

All FASlink, all the time; I mean where is not not an XLR cable ever laying about? And no wall-wart/lumpintheline/power nonsense.

Back
Top Bottom