Midi to relay - midi switcher – new project.

Roadrunner

Power User
Hi all.

So, as many of us, I got "some" free time now so I'm going to build a midi switcher, midi to relays so I can control the amp channel switching via midi as I'm planning to run an FM3 in the future with an amp head in 4CM and want to control channel switching via FM3.

I don’t have the FM3 yet but…..nothing wrong with being prepared, right?

I'm totally new to all this Arduino thing, I found so much info on the web and I think I got what I need here, looks like it will fit my need.

However, for you guys who are experienced with this kind of projects, I will be happy to have some assistance / recommendations for web sites I can get schematics and ideas from and recommended parts.

Thanks.

If all you need to do is amp switching then maybe using opto couplers instead of relays is the better way to go (assuming you're amp requires a TS cable with one side connected to ground).

It's a nice practicing project but I wouldn't do this for stage usage. Housing, on-site programmability, u/I, ... getting the basic tasks done is the easier part but making it stage ready is a lot more effort.

That's what I learned from my arduino projects too. Making a proper enclosure and fitting everything in, so that it's really reliable is more difficult than soldering and programming.

If all you need to do is amp switching then maybe using opto couplers instead of relays is the better way to go (assuming you're amp requires a TS cable with one side connected to ground).

I thought about it, after all the amp only requires a closed / open contact to switch channels (Friedman Runt).
Do you know if there is a chip which will also include this so I have all on one board? (instead of 2 boards, one for the chip and one for the replay pack).

It's a nice practicing project but I wouldn't do this for stage usage. Housing, on-site programmability, u/I, ... getting the basic tasks done is the easier part but making it stage ready is a lot more effort.

That's what I learned from my arduino projects too. Making a proper enclosure and fitting everything in, so that it's really reliable is more difficult than soldering and programming.

Actually I’m less concerned about the housing, I’ve done many small projects in the past, got ton of experience with building solutions stage worthy that actually work.

Any suggestions for parts I should start with, websites / code?
Thanks guys.

I use a VooDoo Labs Control Switcher that I picked up used in mint condition for $80. I'm sure you can build something usning an Arduino for less money than that, but it is nice to have a road tested product from a reputable company.

Back
Top Bottom