1. Recent events require us to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.
    Dismiss Notice

MIDI Thru Sustain Pedal to Ableton MIDI In

Discussion in 'Axe-Fx II Discussion' started by apacherose105, May 13, 2018.

1. apacherose105

apacherose105
    Expand Collapse
    Regular

I am running a sort of elaborate mini keyboard/synth mixer setup.

The tiny Akai keyboard I have doesn't have a sustain pedal input.

The idea is:
    Physical sustain pedal -> Fractal pedal 1 input -> Midi thru USB to Laptop -> Ableton MIDI input

Is it as simple as assigning a pedal to send cc 64 and turning midi thru on?

I'd try it but don't actually have the pedal handy.

2. Bakerman

Bakerman
    Expand Collapse
    Axe-Master

Axe-FX can't generate MIDI data from pedal ports like that.

If you really needed to make this work without adding a MIDI controller, one solution could be to have the pedal engage a synth block producing a constant tone. Route synth to FXL and set USB/Digi Out Source to Out 2, sending to a track with an envelope-to-CC plugin that sends CC#64 to the synth.

3. vaultnaemsae

vaultnaemsae
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

Creative workaround. Axe-Fx II/MIDI over USB to your laptop is a recognized but 'not spoken about' mess. I tried to use an FAMC MIDI controller to control the Axe-FX and pass through MIDI over USB to trigger things in Ableton Live. Impossible without connecting the device with two separate cables (one to the Axe, one to the Mac) - the MIDI you see in your laptop from the Axe is a garbled mess.