Midi Thru + External device sync (LF+) + Midi guitar

Hi there,

This is the setup I'm currently running with:

1) Axe-FX II Mark II, and LF+12+ controller connected via a 7pin midi cable

2) MacOS + Mainstage connected to the Midi through Axe-fx II port using a simple midi-to-usb cable (more on that later)

3) Tripleplay on my guitar. This is just sending notes on/off and a main volume on the midi pickup.

The problem is :

IF I turn on midi through, data is correctly send from LF+12+ to the MacOS on the Midi-Through port. In this way, I can send Program Changes to Mainstage, drive Audio Unit Instruments volume using my expression pedal, etc. PROBLEM: In this way, data is NOT being sent back to LF+12+ on the MIDI IN port and I cannot see the IA-Slots status (to enable/disable effects on the Axe)

IF I turn off midi through, data is not being sent to Mainstage (because midi through is off), so I'm stuck, I cannot send anything from my LF+12+ to mainstage, but I can see data coming back on the midi in port, so I can see effect status, and so on.

IF I try connecting AXEFX via USB cable directly to the MacOS, MIDI stuff is not being forwarded, no matter what I'm doing! It's like it's ignoring everything that's coming on the MIDI IN port and it does not forward it on the USB bus.

So I'm kinda stuck at the moment. Is there any way to duplicate midi data BOTH on Midi Through and back to MIDI IN port in order to enable my pedalboard sending midi data to the Mainstage Laptop AND see/change effect status?

Thank you

Hi there,

This is the setup I'm currently running with:

1) Axe-FX II Mark II, and LF+12+ controller connected via a 7pin midi cable

2) MacOS + Mainstage connected to the Midi through Axe-fx II port using a simple midi-to-usb cable (more on that later)

3) Tripleplay on my guitar. This is just sending notes on/off and a main volume on the midi pickup.

The problem is :

IF I turn on midi through, data is correctly send from LF+12+ to the MacOS on the Midi-Through port. In this way, I can send Program Changes to Mainstage, drive Audio Unit Instruments volume using my expression pedal, etc. PROBLEM: In this way, data is NOT being sent back to LF+12+ on the MIDI IN port and I cannot see the IA-Slots status (to enable/disable effects on the Axe)

IF I turn off midi through, data is not being sent to Mainstage (because midi through is off), so I'm stuck, I cannot send anything from my LF+12+ to mainstage, but I can see data coming back on the midi in port, so I can see effect status, and so on.

IF I try connecting AXEFX via USB cable directly to the MacOS, MIDI stuff is not being forwarded, no matter what I'm doing! It's like it's ignoring everything that's coming on the MIDI IN port and it does not forward it on the USB bus.

So I'm kinda stuck at the moment. Is there any way to duplicate midi data BOTH on Midi Through and back to MIDI IN port in order to enable my pedalboard sending midi data to the Mainstage Laptop AND see/change effect status?

Thank you
Did you try setting USB Adapter Mode to ON?

Seems odd that enabling Thru would cause the return data on your 7 pin to stop flowing.

Maybe open a support case with Fractal to see if that is expected?

Yes, I tried both with USB adapter mode set to ON and OFF. Frankly I don't understand the difference, the behavior of the Axe seems to remain the same.
Can someone confirm this is the expected behavior? That turning on midi thru stops the midi return data to come back on the midi in cable? :)

The Axe-Fx II MK I and II don't have a separate MIDI Thru port like the XL and XL+ do. I helped someone setup their MK II a while ago and I think they ended up using a $49.99 MIDI Solutions Quadra Thru and a FAMC $28.99 PPB200 Phantom Power Box.

Thank you, but how does this affect my setup? Midi thru is a soft-thru and should be just a copy. What I'm not understanding is why midi return data is not being sent back on midi cable when midi thru is on :)

Back
Top Bottom