Midi Switching Gap?

maxolla

Inspired
On the list for a Axe 3. I have already owned the unit with a GT16 switcher. Love the AXE for everything but I’m not completely happy with the speed at which my drive pedal would switch on and off. There seemed to be a slight lag when turning it on and off. Not sure if its been sped up at all. Has anyone noticed the same issue or is it a user error on my part maybe.

Thanks in advance

Are you saying that you already had an Axe Fx III?

I use drive blocks in all my presets. There is no lag, either with the MFC-101 or the FC-12.

Some midi controllers support long and short press, and in those cases there can be a delay in triggering as the switch fires either on release of the switch or after the long press delay time.

Are you saying that you already had an Axe Fx III?

I use drive blocks in all my presets. There is no lag, either with the MFC-101 or the FC-12.

Some midi controllers support long and short press, and in those cases there can be a delay in triggering as the switch fires either on release of the switch or after the long press delay time.

Yes I owned one earlier this year and had an issue with slight lag when engaging my drive pedal. Im pretty sure it was set up so the pedal would engage when the pedal was depressed and not after release. Also there was a slight gap in switching scenes as well as ABCD amps in the amp block. Am i the only one having delay in switching?

There is a very brief audio gap whenever changing channels... Even if they were on a bypassed block.

However, the latest FW update (5.01) seems to address this.

Note that I'm talking about an audio gap, not a lag in switching.

Did you have Axe Edit running? Did you have Midi channel set to Omni?

However, the latest FW update (5.01) seems to address this.

I haven’t tried 5.01, but the way I read the release notes, improvements are only related to effects that are meant to be used with Mix settings less than 100%, so amps and drives aren’t affected in most cases.

On the list for a Axe 3. I have already owned the unit with a GT16 switcher. Love the AXE for everything but I’m not completely happy with the speed at which my drive pedal would switch on and off. There seemed to be a slight lag when turning it on and off. Not sure if its been sped up at all. Has anyone noticed the same issue or is it a user error on my part maybe.

Thanks in advance

What Axe do you have now? I had an Axe II prior to getting a III and it seems to me scene changes are faster/smoother now. That being said, I never had a problem with Drive blocks. Are you getting a lag when bypassing the Drive block? Are you using Axe-Edit? Having the application open will DEFINITELY add a lag on the II.

I haven’t tried 5.01, but the way I read the release notes, improvements are only related to effects that are meant to be used with Mix settings less than 100%, so amps and drives aren’t affected in most cases.
I don't think that is true. Every block has a dry signal input and a wet signal output, regardless of whether or not there is a mix control.

There were specific comments in the FW threads about the switching gap for Drive blocks.

What Axe do you have now? I had an Axe II prior to getting a III and it seems to me scene changes are faster/smoother now. That being said, I never had a problem with Drive blocks. Are you getting a lag when bypassing the Drive block? Are you using Axe-Edit? Having the application open will DEFINITELY add a lag on the II.

I do not own an AXE right now. I still have my RJM GT 16 in wait for another modeler. Been on the waiting list for a III end of march the email said. I have a good friend that bought the III from me about 4 months ago and the only way we were able to cure the gap in amp switching was to use two separate lines in the Axe and mute and un mute them using the RJM switcher with the GT16. It worked fabulously but requires an extra gizmo to make it work. Surprisingly the Axe III had no problem in processing power with keeping up with the effects and amp blocks etc.

In specific to the drive block issue it was almost like the Axe was thinking before switching the block on or off. There was no gap in the audio but just a delayed response in switching. If I was to guess in milliseconds I was say 15-20 but enough that when you want to hammer down on a chord at the beginning of a section of music you’d have to hit it before the 1 in order to get the desired change.

Interestingly I wasn’t having an issue with looping as I recall. When I would hit the record button on the start of a measure it would start immediately but then again a millisecond or two in timing on a continuous piece of music isn’t as noticeable as a change in volume, or drive change.

i've never experienced the Axe2, Axe3, or AX8 "thinking" before engaging the Drive block when sent a MIDI message.

it might be the specific message being sent. i've use the MMGT16, MC6, FC6, FC12, and other general MIDI devices, and none of them ever had that sensation for any blocks.

it's probably not the Axe.

I use a Iiquid foot. My LF controller is sending many messages on different channels, and, at times, might send 20 messages to the Axe, including drive.

I own 3 Fractals and have no hesitation to hear the results of the switching messages I’m sending, to engage or disengage things - on any of the units.

One of the things that jumped out at me about your post was that you could run 2 signal paths and that solved this problem for you, but it was a pain because it required an extra device.

I could do this inside the Axe, without any additional outboard gear.

So, it leads me to believe the problem may be in the programming.

Post your preset, and someone will check whether they also get a hesitation.

I use a Iiquid foot. My LF controller is sending many messages on different channels, and, at times, might send 20 messages to the Axe, including drive.

I own 3 Fractals and have no hesitation to hear the results of the switching messages I’m sending, to engage or disengage things - on any of the units.

One of the things that jumped out at me about your post was that you could run 2 signal paths and that solved this problem for you, but it was a pain because it required an extra device.

I could do this inside the Axe, without any additional outboard gear.

So, it leads me to believe the problem may be in the programming.

Post your preset, and someone will check whether they also get a hesitation.

No where in my post did I use the word “pain" or express like sentiments (those are your words). The two signal paths we used were so that both could be sent to the same stereo power amp and were always live and then AB switch between the two stereo signals coming from the AXE. When and if I get the III I will put a preset together and send it on to you and you can let me know where I went wrong. Thats the reason for the post to get input on options.

thanks for replying.

i've never experienced the Axe2, Axe3, or AX8 "thinking" before engaging the Drive block when sent a MIDI message.

it might be the specific message being sent. i've use the MMGT16, MC6, FC6, FC12, and other general MIDI devices, and none of them ever had that sensation for any blocks.

it's probably not the Axe.

My good friend Steve bought the unit from me as well as the 16 and had similar results with that drive block. When I receive the new unit I will make a point to take a closer look.

Thanks for weighing in Chris. I’ve watched some of your video tutorials if this is the same Chris thanks for sharing your knowledge.

My good friend Steve bought the unit from me as well as the 16 and had similar results with that drive block. When I receive the new unit I will make a point to take a closer look.

Thanks for weighing in Chris. I’ve watched some of your video tutorials if this is the same Chris thanks for sharing your knowledge.
if he is using the same gear, setting up the same way, then it makes sense that he'd experience the same results.

again, i've never had any delay, so it would probably come down to the specific messages being sent from the controller. i've used soooo many things with all of the axe gear and never experienced that when messages were set correctly.

let us know how it goes with the new stuff.

My first thought was that Axe Edit was running and causing a slowdown. Post a preset created on the Axe3.

My first thought was that Axe Edit was running and causing a slowdown. Post a preset created on the Axe3.

Cured my issue switching channels on my Triaxis with Axe 3! you're a genius! Can't believe I haven't thought about this myself. Much appreciated!

The issue has been cured. It turns out the foot switch used for the drive block was set for engage upon release on the GT16. Additionally, it appears that the “gap” in channel switching with amps is negligible after FW6. Thanks for the input everyone. I’ve never been a satisfied with a piece of gear as I am with the AXE.

The issue has been fixed for quite some time, I just didn’t get around to posting a reply until I saw this come back up on the forum list.

Back
Top Bottom