MIDI Stomp Boxes?

bstoner

Inspired
I have this idea for a midi controller stop boxes that i think would be pretty cool (see attached picture for overview). Do any companies make anything like this already? Would anyone else find these useful?

I guess what i really miss about real stomp boxes is to be able to turn knobs on the fly at the gig. So for example with the CC1, CC2 and CC3 knobs assigned to overdrive, tone and level and the midi stompbox assigned to a tube screamer in the axe-fx. It becomes a real ts-808 at your feet. You then have the option to build as big a pedal board as fits your needs. I really think people would like this much better then the midi controller route.

Im not even sure its possible to make something like it?

thanks

b

Last edited:
I like this idea a lot, but don't believe anything like this exists. Unfortunately I'm not sure there is enough of a market, especially when Cliff has already given us models of so many stomps and more will inevitably come. But your idea is very intriguing...

I like it. Is this maybe for someone who either doesn't have a foot controller, or rather has one but just needs one EXTRA little switch for that hard to get CC#?

neat idea, would be tough to get to a decent price point... think you would rack up the price pretty quickly. Like that new digitech stomp box you can program with any pedal you want... add 5 of those and ouch.

^^^

I think dpeterson is on the right track here, it´s probably hard to recoupe the costs related to what´s being offered "in" it.

I like your idea though: why not look up some DIY MIDI pcb webshops (as i e highly liquid or similar)? Buy a stompbox metal case from similar DIY guitar stompbox webshops, do some tooling on the case to fit an 7-segment display and bigger holes for the MIDI ports. Highly liquid may even help you get started with the programming that you´ll need to do.
I´ve ordered a MIDI pcb myself from them for a personal project, easy purchase, no big money and the pcb looks good in quality. The hard thing is to get the case the way you want it and everything inside robust. So think your "solution" through several times before you try to start, get the right tools needed, then think it through a couple of times more and finally start. Properly planned and properly done, and you´ll probably end up with a low cost. However it will take some time though...

/Mike

Last edited:
I guess what i really miss about real stomp boxes is to be able to turn knobs on the fly at the gig. So for example with the CC1, CC2 and CC3 knobs assigned to overdrive, tone and level and the midi stompbox assigned to a tube screamer in the axe-fx. It becomes a real ts-808 at your feet. You then have the option to build as big a pedal board as fits your needs. I really think people would like this much better then the midi controller route.

Last edited:
I think it's a neat idea and, with the current awesome state of Arduino prices, you could probably do it on the cheap as long as you didn't need a really robust user interface. Stick to the USB port and changing Arduino code to customize each box. But the parts, maybe $30-$40. Arduino Pro Minis are coming in under $20 these days. Then you just need the ports, pots and enclosure.

Gives you a potentially infinitely expandable controller. Works well with existing pedal mounting/carrying platforms like PedalTrains and what not. Maybe you've got deal with MIDI cable issues -- getting short MIDI cables might be tough.

This idea is cool for sure.

I think the only real downside is each box, equipped with its own Arudino, is sort of under-utilizing the processor on it. It's why we get the controllers we do -- it makes sense to group all those buttons and continuous controller ports in to a unit that's all managed by one processing unit. If you can figure out a way to make one pedal the brain, and the other pedals slaves that don't require a full-on Arduino in them, you'd have better scaling with costs.

The memecode mc1 has knobs that function kind of like this. There's a three way switch to switch it between amp controls and other stuff.

Hmm... The idea itself sounds very unique. I doubt anyone has created something like this yet.
However, I don't think there would be a large market for something like this. Remember that modeling technology is still young and only a handful of guitarists use pure digital over analogue nowadays.

Also, as it tends to blur the line between digital and analogue, I wonder why you would really need this? Wouldn't it be easier to go analogue and simply buy the stompboxes instead of some midi boxes in the first place? You can also use the 4 control knobs to quickassign params at your AXE-II if you need to change something "on the fly".

fun project! all the extra cabling stinks though

I built 3 of these "virtual" stomp boxes into my foot controller. So no cables. They are part of the main box. Except I gave them 2 knobs each, not 3.
effects.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom