MIDI setup - questions

Bumping

Still very interested in the topic in this thread and wanted to see if anyone had any additional insight. It looks like the GCX would be the best option but there may be other MIDI controlled loop selectors out there that play nicer with the Axe FX 2? To recap, I have an Axe2 and MFC-101 - I would like to incorporate pedals into my patches/scenes and am looking to find out if it is feasible. It sounds like you can program the MFC to the particular messages the GCX needs but I would love to be able to flip certain loops on and off within a scene and store the preset. What I am hoping for is to emulate scene behavior on the axe (ala bypassing certain blocks) but have that happen with the GCX. For example, I switch from Scene 1 to Scene 2 and the GCX will remember that I wanted to turn off the loop for a delay pedal and activate the loop for a drive pedal. Any help/insight would be greatly appreciated before I drop some cash on a GCX.

Bumping again so hopefully someone sees this. Going to pull the trigger on a GCX soon and just want to be sure it will do what I want it to do. Thanks

Bumping

Still very interested in the topic in this thread and wanted to see if anyone had any additional insight. It looks like the GCX would be the best option but there may be other MIDI controlled loop selectors out there that play nicer with the Axe FX 2? To recap, I have an Axe2 and MFC-101 - I would like to incorporate pedals into my patches/scenes and am looking to find out if it is feasible. It sounds like you can program the MFC to the particular messages the GCX needs but I would love to be able to flip certain loops on and off within a scene and store the preset. What I am hoping for is to emulate scene behavior on the axe (ala bypassing certain blocks) but have that happen with the GCX. For example, I switch from Scene 1 to Scene 2 and the GCX will remember that I wanted to turn off the loop for a delay pedal and activate the loop for a drive pedal. Any help/insight would be greatly appreciated before I drop some cash on a GCX.
Hey there , I have a GCX and just got the Axe Fx 2 , have you had a definitive answer yet on this? Thinking of going down this road too

Hey there , I have a GCX and just got the Axe Fx 2 , have you had a definitive answer yet on this? Thinking of going down this road too

Hey Jason,
Unfortunately the way I wanted to use it (sending MIDI messages to the GCX upon patch and scene changes) does not work. You can use the MFC to send MIDI messages to the GCX by connecting the MIDI out on the AxeFX to the Pedal-in on the GCX but each loop must be manually configured on the MFC and theres no way to batch these changes in with a scene change so you would need to change the scene and then change the loop on the GCX. I *think* there is a way to make everything happen at once but it would require taking the MFC out of AxeFX mode and manually configuring each button to send all the necessary messages to the axe and GCX for each change you wanted to do. Maybe this is something some people dont mind doing, but for me this is far too much work to be done for every time you need to switch something from your pedalboard.

I ended up getting this to control my GCX: http://www.peak2005.com/j/index.php?id_product=9&controller=product
Works great you just have to keep in mind that the GCX has power on pins 1 and 3 not 6 and 7 like everything else. I bought a 7 PIN cable and rewired the GCX side.

Hope that answers your question

Got It! After a good nights sleep and a fresh start I solved this in 2 minutes. Before I tried programming the internal CC's (6.2) I had set 4 IA's (5.2.1) to control midi 81,82,83,84 which = loops 2,3,4,& 5. They were set to off. When I recalled a preset the GCX was receiving these IA "Off" messages. When I step on one of the 4 programmed IA's switches the loop on the GCX opens. This is working PERFECTLY now. I can save a preset on the MFC with the IA states already set (12.1.4) but still have control to turn them on and off. Yay! Now into getting my amp the change channels with the GCX and then wiring this whole thing up.
I did the same with IAs, but now the question is "How to change scenes and send cc messages to open or close channels in the GCX?"

Back
Top Bottom