MIDI Scene Selection issue

neale dunham

Experienced
Hi,

I have 5 scenes set up in a preset and trying to use my Boss Es8 to Change scenes.

I have midi channel set to 1 and Scene Selection set to CC 34.

The Presets change without issue but, the problem arises when i try to change scenes.

When i press the Button to select the next scene on my controller, the Axe fx first changes to scene 5 and then very quickly changes to the scene i initially programmed?

This causes the Axe fx to play the sound i have sound in preset 5 very briefly and then change to the scene i want.

I am sure this is not correct and there is something within the midi settings on either device that needs to be changed.

Does anybody know what this might be that is causing this issue?

I had the same issue except my presets would always jump to scene 1, then to the intended scene. Never could figure it out. It worked flawlessly on my Axe Fx 2. The only work around I found was to leave out the PC number and only use scene CC(34) and CC value(for specific scene). This work around is useless if you want to jump around presets of course. Thankfully I only used one preset live.

Chris,
When you say dont set anything to omni channel i guess you mean from the Boss right?

Preset mapping is off.

is it just that this type of controller is not compatible? What are you guys using?

Satch thanks for the input but im gonna need more than one preset im afraid.

It sounds like you might need to turn “ignore redundant pc” on in system settings. It sounds like your controller is sending a PC every time you change scene. This will force a reload of the preset (and depending on other settings) will either load scene 1 or “the last saved scene”

Ignore duplicate PC messages, will do exactly that... if your controller sends the same number as already loaded, then the (same) preset won’t be loaded (again).

Simon,
thanks for the support, ive tried what you asked but to no avail it still jumps to the last scene on the list which is scene 5?
Very Strange.
Any further help would be much appreciated.

....Seems The Axe Doesn't like the PC being sent every time. If i set my Es8 to fire a Pc on Bank 1 Patch1 it will jump but then if i turn off the Pc it seems to work ok. It could be a work around until i get a Fc-12 or maybe someone might enlighten me!

This causes the Axe fx to play the sound i have sound in preset 5 very briefly and then change to the scene i want.

Maybe you're sending 2 CC messages? Do you have your button set to momentary so it sends one CC message on the press and another on the release? That would explain why it goes to one scene, then immediately jumps to another scene.

Speaking of selecting scenes via MIDI....MIDI CC isn't all that great for scene selection. Trying to use CC with multiple buttons to select multiple scenes leads to the awkward and confusing situation where you get multiple illuminated buttons on your controller, so you can't see on your controller which scene is selected.

Scenes are mutually exclusive states on the device. The natural MIDI message for selecting states like that is Program Change, not CC. That way you'd be able to set up your controller to have multiple buttons, each of which selects a different scene. Turning on one such button on your controller would conveniently and automatically extinguish the lights on the other scene selection buttons on your controller since that's how controllers handle program change. This is especially true since the AxeFX has evolved to use scenes as "mini presets" within a preset. As such, they should be selectable via MIDI the same way you select presets: with MIDI program change messages.

Hi,

I have 5 scenes set up in a preset and trying to use my Boss Es8 to Change scenes.

I have midi channel set to 1 and Scene Selection set to CC 34.

The Presets change without issue but, the problem arises when i try to change scenes.

When i press the Button to select the next scene on my controller, the Axe fx first changes to scene 5 and then very quickly changes to the scene i initially programmed?

I am sure this is not correct and there is something within the midi settings on either device that needs to be changed.

Does anybody know what this might be that is causing this issue?
What controller are you using?
I used the MC 6 to change scenes using CC with no issues, so it does work.

Back
Top Bottom