Midi Routing Question

Let me start by explaining my setup:
I am using the Axe FX III in a 4CM (or 5CM at times) with a KHE 4x4 amp cabinet switcher. The Axe FX III is placed into the loop of any of the 4 amps. I am using an RJM GT22 to control the entire rig and all the items are midi controllable.

Right now I have the GT22 plugged into a midi solutions T8 midi through box which then route to the IN of all other midi devices. The midi OUT of the axe fx III goes back to the GT22 to keep everything in sync.

Here is my issue... using this routing I cannot use scene midi blocks to change which amps I use.. as the midi out signal never gets back to the amp switcher. I would like the ability to be able to change amps via the GT22 (which currently works), but I cannot have an amp (or channel of the amp) change per scene.

I am trying to think if there is a better way to wire this using the out and thru jacks on the Axe FX3. it does appear that the midi OUT port on the axe FX 3 is not also passing midi signals THRU... which is a real bummer in this scenario.

Any help or thoughts would be good here.

make the AxeFx the master of the amp switching midi messages and make the AxeFX Slave to the GT22. possibly needing another device like a midi splitter

the Midi Out on the AxeFX is correct in only sending out stuff it generates. The Thru however will send out stuff it received which is also a correct implementation.

Just because you’re audio path is one way, doesnt mean your midi path needs to be the same :)

Last edited:
Do you need messages back from the amp selector? If not, the connect it to the thru of the AxeFX and programme the GT22 to send the appropriate messages on scene change (realise that this might not work if the GT22 doesn’t have settings per preset). [the GT22 connected to midi in and out on AxeFX]

So right now the OUT of the axe FX is connected back to the GT22. What you are suggesting (if i am reading correctly) is the axe fx ALWAYS makes the amp change (midi block in the scene). This would work for sure.

The issue is i would also like to be able to use the GT22 to swap an amp or change amp channel on the fly. I have an 8 port midi thru (splitter) which is currently what i connect the GT22 into. Which makes the GT22 the master midi controller for all the devices.

In:
RJM GT22

Out:
1. Axe FX III
2. KHE Amp Switcher (change amp and cab)
3. RJM Amp Gizmo (changes channels on not midi capable amps, Friedman / KSR)
4. Return to the RJM GT22
5. Omega Obsidian Amp Head (midi capable head)

Using this config the axe fx OUT never reaches back to the amp switcher, so the per scene midi changes would not work.

I can however connect the RJM directly to the Axe FX, send the OUT of the Axe FX into the midi thru box, but at that point the AXE FX will have to control all the midi messages to the other devices. It just means every scene will be dedicated to a specific amp and channel. Which is likely ideal for a live situation, but for just ad hoc changes its a bit less flexible.

Maybe a smarter MIDI merger would do the trick. I think I still have an old Yamaha MJC8 which lets you set the ins and outs that are connected. But I don't think it can fix this because it doesn't do a multi-merge.

The MOTU MIDI Express XT does everything you need no problem. I replaced the MJC8 with one of these years ago but I don't think I still have it. The older ones on Reverb should work just fine.

the previous post should allow the rjm to send messages to the other connected devices. It doesn’t obviously address the issue of enabling the AxeFX to do that, because the thru won’t send from the AxeFX. You “could” do something “a bit naughty“, if the rjm can forward any received midi message? by sending those commands from the AxeFX to the RJM on another channel then the other devices would recieve that message ”via” the rjm. (Aka AxeFX OUT>RJM IN->RJM OUT->AxeFX IN->AxeFX THRU->KHE etc...)
this will only work if the RJM either has a THRU or an “out/thru” Port

I noticed my last post didn’t view very well as the page was transparent... here is the same sketch with a background

Attachments

• Untitled 55.png
    Untitled 55.png
    166.3 KB · Views: 6
Back
Top Bottom