Midi routing EXTERNAL pedals- is there a better way?

spikey

Experienced
I have a few Strymon pedals in stereo I like to control via Midi in the Axe-FX III Mk2. I have found that in order to get the Strymon pedals at the correct volumes I have to turn the "Out-3" knob on the AFX all the way up while leaving the Strymon pedals around 1/2 way up.

FYI- I was running an M-Plex box just after the "Out 3" box but the latest beta firmware clips both outs 1 & 3 to the MAX (both meters pegged) and the only way to clear it, is to hard reboot the AFX. It did NOT do this before the update. Using Trial and error, I found if I removed the M-Plex box the clipping goes completely away, so I wound up with what I have below now.

So, I kindly ask the gurus here, is there a better solution to run/incorporate the Strymons than what I've done below?

Screen Shot 2021-10-09 at 1.05.01 PM.png

There is a confirmed but with the multiplexer block on 17.01... you have described the symptoms ;)

FYI, your question doesn't really have anything to do with midi so you might get better responses by changing your thread title to be something about "using external effects".

Output 3 is designed for unity Gain with the knob at 100%, so that makes sense here.

From your image, you are running the Strymon pedals in parallel. Is that intentional?

There is a confirmed but with the multiplexer block on 17.01... you have described the symptoms ;)

FYI, your question doesn't really have anything to do with midi so you might get better responses by changing your thread title to be something about "using external effects".

Output 3 is designed for unity Gain with the knob at 100%, so that makes sense here.

From your image, you are running the Strymon pedals in parallel. Is that intentional?

Thanks for verifying the bug and the tip (to me). I didn't see that.

No, I'm not running them in parallel intentionally, I just thought that was the intended way to run them. :oops:

So do I put in-3 and out-3 in line with the current line/one? That would place them correctly in series then?

Thanks for verifying the bug and the tip (to me). I didn't see that.

No, I'm not running them in parallel intentionally, I just thought that was the intended way to run them. :oops:

So do I put in-3 and out-3 in line with the current line/one? That would place them correctly in series then?
I'm not saying it's wrong. It's dependent on what you're connecting and what you're trying to achieve, and what you like.

I don't have any experience with those units so I can't really advise much on the "best" way. Effects that are "ambient" are often run in parallel, so that's probably a good way to do it as I know many Strymon effects fall into that category.

One thing to keep in mind about parallel routing is that unless the parallel effects are at 100% mix then you're adding additional dry signal into things.

I have a vague memory that Strymon has a "dry kill" setting or something like that for this case, but I might be wrong.

If you place the Output/Input in line then it will be series.

Back
Top Bottom