MIDI question

79_limited

Experienced
Does the AXE8 have the same midi capability has the AxeII?

I will need to send simple CC and program changes to Ableton and possibly a Voice Live.

As far as I know, AX8 does not sends CCs, only PCs. And just one per scene change, which is odd to me. Hopefully this is not something they wouldn't be able to fix in the future..

"TO SET THE MIDI PROGRAM CHANGE MESSAGE FOR A SCENE...
Every AX8 Scene can send one MIDI Program Change Message (“PC”) on any channel [...]"

As far as I know, AX8 does not sends CCs, only PCs. And just one per scene change, which is odd to me. Hopefully this is not something they wouldn't be able to fix in the future..

"TO SET THE MIDI PROGRAM CHANGE MESSAGE FOR A SCENE...
Every AX8 Scene can send one MIDI Program Change Message (“PC”) on any channel [...]"

I agree -- I'm surprised by this limitation, and hope it can be addressed in a future update. If using the Ax8 along side other devices that respond to MIDI CCs, it would be very nice to be able to control those devices from the AX8.

My mistake -- please forgive my gall in even suggesting such an advanced feature!
no gall. calm down.

the fact remains that the AX8 is not a midi controller. i'm commenting on what the current state is. no one should be surprised it doesn't do the task of a midi controller when it isn't a midi controller.

now beyond that, of course you can suggest that midi controller capabilities be added in the future. but as it is now, it is not a midi controller and shouldn't be expected to function as one.

no gall. calm down.

the fact remains that the AX8 is not a midi controller. i'm commenting on what the current state is. no one should be surprised it doesn't do the task of a midi controller when it isn't a midi controller.

now beyond that, of course you can suggest that midi controller capabilities be added in the future. but as it is now, it is not a midi controller and shouldn't be expected to function as one.

Thanks, I'll be sure to check with you about what is reasonable to be surprised about the future.

Thanks, I'll be sure to check with you about what is reasonable to be surprised about the future.
you're still missing the point.

i was not saying anything about the future. i was saying that currently - the present - it is not a midi controller. so we can't expect it to be one right now.

wish for whatever you want in the future. no need to check in for that.

you're still missing the point.

i was not saying anything about the future. i was saying that currently - the present - it is not a midi controller. so we can't expect it to be one right now.

wish for whatever you want in the future. no need to check in for that.

I got the point -- there was nothing particularly deep or profound about it, so not much to miss. Just not sure the need for the snarky initial reply, or why you feel the need to give words of wisdom about what I (or anyone) should or shouldn't be surprised about regarding its features.

But, to prolong the futility of this discussion, I was surprised it doesn't currently have that ability b/c, (1) other floorboards, including the far less capable Pod HD, as well as the Helix, have that capacity, (2) the AxeFx has long had that ability so the code base is already there to either use directly or modify if necessary, and (3) as someone who has toyed a bit with building midi controllers I know that it is a fairly easy thing to implement. Given that the Ax8 already has the MIDI capability writ large, Fractal already has a previous code base to either directly apply or to modify, for a capability that is not far off of what it already currently does, and that can be very useful in live situations where someone might want to use the Ax8 as the central hub for their rig, I thought it seemed like a no brainier that it would have that ability.

Of course, you are free to think I am misguided for having that expectation and thus to believe I should not have been surprised. But the fact remains that, right or wrong, I was surprised it didn't. I'm not sure why expressing that surprise calls for a snide response but, frankly, I probably shouldn't have been surprised by that.

the AX8 is not advertised as a MIDI controller, right?

Haha I had to read the official product page just to be sure. I know you're being snarky but I was going to be snarky back. No such luck for me.

On the other hand - I will continue to grovel and beg for the FX8's MIDI CC features to be ported to AX8.

The internet is really good at distorting otherwise reasonable messages as snarky. Take it with a grain of salt, sometimes it's not intended to be snarky. As an aside, the FX8 has midi program change and CC messages on each scene, so I imagine that one day you may get your wish. Priority for the AX8 appears to be core functionality and porting of Quantum firmware for a bit. This unit JUST came out. I'd give them a minute, see what comes.

Haha I had to read the official product page just to be sure. I know you're being snarky but I was going to be snarky back. No such luck for me.

On the other hand - I will continue to grovel and beg for the FX8's MIDI CC features to be ported to AX8.
dang i really wasn't trying to be snarky at all! promise! :(

In order to consider some piece of hardware as a midi controller, I don't need it to be advertised like that :D I look at it, see switches, MIDI out, read about sending PC commands and I don't care, whether it is a guitar preamp or a refrigerator. My gear that will be receiving messages from AX8 simply needs CCs to operate a specific function. And the other gear needs more than one PC per single opening the fridge door. Will wait for that, no problem.

This is a feature I would like to see FAS add in a future FW update. Even the lowly HD500 can send midi CC messages for each footswitch and it is not advertised as a midi controller either...

This is a feature I would like to see FAS add in a future FW update. Even the lowly HD500 can send midi CC messages for each footswitch and it is not advertised as a midi controller either...

Woo! Midi CC to go along with crap modelling and fx... But it switched MIDI !!! :)

In all seriousness, I would bet that it gets added at some point, just put in a feature request and see how it goes. The FX8 just got a bunch of new MIDI CC and PC controls in the latest firmware (3.0beta) , so perhaps it's in your future as well.

Back
Top Bottom