Midi question... way too advanced for me (FCB + Axe)

suckamc1

I'm gigging mostly with a Behringer midi controller (w/Uno) controlling an Axefx and an old silver Axess GRX4.

I don't want to devote an entire button to each of the GRX4's loops (4 of my 5 top row buttons!). Is there a way that the Behringer can tell the Axefx which preset to go to, and that Axefx preset would then send a control change message to the GRX4 dictating which loop should turn on (a CC message that was NOT directly sent from the Behringer controller)?

No - MIDI commands have te be sent by the Controller. The Axe-Fx doesn't send any Program Change (PC) commands.

You could put the Axe-Fx on MIDI channel 1 and the GRX4 on MIDI channel 2, then devise a way to store two PC commands in one FCB1010 location - one PC for the Axe-Fx on channel 1, and the other for the GRX4 on channel 2.

Thanks man! Very interesting. But alas, it's that "devise a way" clause that would be my undoing. Any ideas on how to do that?

This really depends on whether the FCB1010 w/Uno can store multiple PC commands within a single footswitch.

I don't have a FCB1010, either with or without Uno chip, so I don't know if this is possible with that controller. I do know that this is possible with Liquid Foot, Rocktron All Access and the old Lake Butler MIDI Mitigator controllers.

xrist04 said:
This really depends on whether the FCB1010 w/Uno can store multiple PC commands within a single footswitch.

I don't have a FCB1010, either with or without Uno chip, so I don't know if this is possible with that controller. I do know that this is possible with Liquid Foot, Rocktron All Access and the old Lake Butler MIDI Mitigator controllers.
Roland FC-300 can do that as well.. !
and so can the MFC-101 I believe.

This is of the Behringer HP:
"Senden von 5 MIDI-Programmwechsel- und 2 Controller-Befehlen pro Preset gleichzeitig"

So the FCB can send up to 5 Program Changes and 2 Controller Changes per Preset.

Just like the official firmware, with the UnO you can program each preset to transmit 5 different Program Change (PC) messages over your choice of midi channels, although stompbox mode seems to render the 4th n/a (not applicable). In Ripwerx you can click options/preset view to have them visible.
just choose a midi channel other than the FCB's and set the Axess to that channel. Or the other way around, change the channel for the FCB. Then you can set the PCs it will send accordingly. I can't find any info on the GRX4 on short notice, so you'll have to figure out the rest yourself.

I used to have a Koch midi changer (changing channels on my amp) that just took the PC and was programmable itself. I'd send it the same command on the same channel as my fx unit and program the changer to select the choices per preset. Wouldn't that be easier than reprogramming the fcb every time you want to change a choice on the GRX?

Just to confirm: so it turns out that my GRX4 is one of the really old ones that only responds to control change messages (no PC's). Will your suggestion still work?

Use ripwerex to program a second CC on another MIDI channel for the GRX. It works. One stomp can change two different devices by sending multiple CC on their own MIDI channels

Software makes it much easier to see the setup

Use ripwerex to program a second CC on another MIDI channel for the GRX. It works. One stomp can change two different devices by sending multiple CC on their own MIDI channels

Software makes it much easier to see the setup

Back
Top Bottom