MIDI Question .... Part II .... " Scene Selection Via Program Change " ..... A Quick Question ...

ben ifin

Experienced
Hey all

Just found this in the SCENES manual -> SCENE SELECTION VIA PROGRAM CHANGE

This would be a perfect [alternative] way to set up my TB-12 Midi FSW with my Axe 2

As per the Scenes Manual, the steps are very easy:-

-> Under I/O: MIDI -> Ignore Redundant PC must be ON for seamless scene changes via PC .... then, to use program changes for scene selection you must
-> Set MAPPING MODE to “CUSTOM.”
-> Select an entry for MAP FROM PRESET [Range 0 <-> 127]
-> Select the desired entries for MAP TO PRESET [Range 0 <-> 127] and MAP TO SCENE [Range 1<-> 8]
-> Program Change mapping does not need to be saved

All the above is fine / no problems .... but one thing has me confused a bit ... no surprise there :)

=> once I have set up, say, 30 or so " Scene Selections via Program Change" ...... which Midi PC Number do I enter in to my TB-12 ..... is it the MAP FROM PRESET [Range 0 <-> 127] midi number or the MAP TO PRESET [Range 0 <-> 127] midi number ?

Thanks again,
Ben

PS: I really hope I have understood this feature correctly :)

Hey all

Just found this in the SCENES manual -> SCENE SELECTION VIA PROGRAM CHANGE

This would be a perfect [alternative] way to set up my TB-12 Midi FSW with my Axe 2

As per the Scenes Manual, the steps are very easy:-

-> Under I/O: MIDI -> Ignore Redundant PC must be ON for seamless scene changes via PC .... then, to use program changes for scene selection you must
-> Set MAPPING MODE to “CUSTOM.”
-> Select an entry for MAP FROM PRESET [Range 0 <-> 127]
-> Select the desired entries for MAP TO PRESET [Range 0 <-> 127] and MAP TO SCENE [Range 1<-> 8]
-> Program Change mapping does not need to be saved

All the above is fine / no problems .... but one thing has me confused a bit ... no surprise there :)

=> once I have set up, say, 30 or so " Scene Selections via Program Change" ...... which Midi PC Number do I enter in to my TB-12 ..... is it the MAP FROM PRESET [Range 0 <-> 127] midi number or the MAP TO PRESET [Range 0 <-> 127] midi number ?

Thanks again,
Ben

PS: I really hope I have understood this feature correctly :)

Hey Ben ,

Hoping you might be able to help here. I've got the scene mapping down no problem.
However if I map from say preset 0 to preset 10 meaning button 1 now recalls preset 10 yeah?
Ok, though when this happens my MFC has now jumped banks, so to get to get to button 2 in bank 1 I need to bank down again.

I'm hoping I can achieve the following for example (all within bank 1)
button 1 brings up preset 10 scene 4
button 2 brings up preset 45 scene 1
button 3 brings up preset 184 scene 3
button 4 brings up preset 93 scene 2

Is this possible?

I thought the TB-12 could do scenes "natively"?

I looked at the TB-12 a couple years ago and I'm pretty sure you can send a data value with a CC.

So the idea behind this is to jump to a particular scene when changing a preset in one press of footswitch correct?

Last edited:
So the idea behind this is to jump to a particular scene when changing a preset in one press of footswitch correct?
That is one use. I think the general idea is for handling midi controllers that don't allow defining a data value for CCs. Many only send 0 (off) and 127 (on), but that would only access scenes 1 and 8.

But you can also use it to select a specific scene when changing presets.

That is one use. I think the general idea is for handling midi controllers that don't allow defining a data value for CCs. Many only send 0 (off) and 127 (on), but that would only access scenes 1 and 8.

But you can also use it to select a specific scene when changing presets.
Ok in this example:

Mapping Mode: Custom
Map from Preset: 15
Map to Preset: 100
Map to Scene: 3
Midi PC offset: 1
When my controller selects preset "16" the Axe goes to preset 100 scene 3.

I am using a Roland FC-300 so it starts at 000.
When not in custom mode the midi PC offset works but not in custom mode.
Is there a way to use custom and PC offset at the same time?

As well how would I setup more than one Custom set as described above?
In other words I want preset 50 to select scene 3 as well.

Ok in this example:

Mapping Mode: Custom
Map from Preset: 15
Map to Preset: 100
Map to Scene: 3
Midi PC offset: 1
When my controller selects preset "16" the Axe goes to preset 100 scene 3.

I am using a Roland FC-300 so it starts at 000.
When not in custom mode the midi PC offset works but not in custom mode.
Is there a way to use custom and PC offset at the same time?

As well how would I setup more than one Custom set as described above?

I'm not sure... I used this only when I had a GCP and I've been using other stuff since then for almost 3 years.

To make sure I understand, you are expecting it to go where, preset 101?

I think you don't want PC Offset to be 1... Try setting it to zero.

Also, do you have Axe Fx set to start on 000 or 001?

I'm not sure... I used this only when I had a GCP and I've been using other stuff since then for almost 3 years.

To make sure I understand, you are expecting it to go where, preset 101?

I think you don't want PC Offset to be 1... Try setting it to zero.

Also, do you have Axe Fx set to start on 000 or 001?
When not in custom mode, PC offset set to 1 is the correct setting so that when I hit patch 14 on the controller, Axe goes to 14.

As far as preset 101, it was just an example.
I just want to be able to hit a specific preset on my controller and have it go to a specific scene.
I'm not aware how to do this for more than one preset.
But the offset issue will make all this moot because in fact PC offset does not work in custom mode.

No idea what you mean by "set Axe to start on 000 or 001. Where is this setting?

Last edited:
I/O -> MIDI -> DISPLAY OFFSET
Cool.
By changing the Display offset to 1 it solves the problem for all normal patches but any custom ones are now offset by 1.
I can live with this but still don't understand how to setup more than 1 patch for a custom preset that is not sequential.
Not possible?

Back
Top Bottom